Newbies looking to start our van life soon - going semi-full time? (1 Viewer)

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Hi everyone!

We are a spaniard-argentinian couple living in UK and looking to start this exciting lifestyle soon, we are looking forward to join this big "family" and learn and enjoy with you.

Wife and myself are both technologist and we work as consultants for companies to help them deliver digital products. We love nature and long walks with our little Tibetan Spaniel dog. I'm 36 and the wife is 41 although she doesn't look a day older than 30 ;-) We have been together 10 years and we are happy chappies.

After 10 years in London and Brighton working hard to payoff the mortgage for our Spanish house (which we accomplished in 2019, yeyyy!), we are ready to start spending 6 months in UK (summer time) and the rest of the time (from October to April) traveling around Europe and visiting family down in Andalucía and Ibiza. We will stay at family and friend houses in winter and we plan to stay in camps as well as stealth camping when we go in adventures. It will be something like going full timers but with the option to stay in some friend's apartments for a month (yeah, we are very lucky and have awesome friends and family that have second homes they use very little!). We are planning to start slowing down work a little bit although we both enjoy what we do and we plan to keep our clients and work from the van 3-4 days a week. We have no kids (and we don't plan to have) and no ties.

We are very easy going and we love simple life (very simple for many!). We have moved 7 times in 10 years because we have found that if we rent a place we quickly became bored of being always in the same surroundings. We have kept our materialistic stuff to a minimum to be able to easily move every year. We are both in the minimalistic lifestyle (without going to an extreme!) so hopefully that should help us on this new adventure!

We already own a small van (Renault Kangoo) and we really enjoy going out on short adventures with it, sometimes staying overnight and doing some stealth camping. We love to wander around and we both become happier when we are out and about discovering new places and meeting new people. We will keep this van for my mum as she love to drive it.

So... enough about us! We know that we will need a lot of help to get the van life right. Below are our thoughts, I'll love if you can tell us what you think about our plans and whether they sound realistic to you our we are kidding ourselves :)

So... our fist assumption is that we will be able to work from the van. I am the one that mostly do office hours (with some flexibility) and I essentially need a comfy chair and a table to put a powerful laptop and a large screen. I'm small (5'6" and 11 stones) so I don't think I'll find challenging to find MH comfortable to work. My plan is to fit a 24 or 27 inches monitor in the TV rack and work most of the day standing although I'll need to fit something to support the keyboard and mouse. I like working standing as it helps to keep my back fit (I have used standing desk in the last few years). My wife have very very flexible hours and quite often enjoys the day and sit to work when I have finished. It will be rare that we are both working at the same time.

One of our main concern is around Internet connectivity quality. This plan will not be feasible if we can't get reliable connectivity so I can participate in videoconferences with normality and work with engineers. We are happy to pay top dollars to achieve this as we don't want to bother our clients with bad connectivity problems and this is a fundamental infrastructure that we need to keep our income.

The second concern is about layout. I'll love if we can find a layout where I can be working during office hours without disturbing the wife too much and she can go with her life as independent as possible. She needs to have a place to sit and enjoy music or a podcast while I'm talking to clients via Zoom. I don't need a massive space but it will be good if I can get a place that is isolated and quiet. Do you think than an A-class motorhome can fit the bill? I have look at things of the style of a Pilote G690C but I'm worried that it might be too open plan for us although I really appreciate the fixed double bed and a little bit of garage space (we will be traveling with an inflatable Kayak [13kg], two Brompton folding bikes and, if possible, a surf board although that's not essential. In terms of layout I believe that maybe something like the Buerstner Lyseo TD Harmony Line 644 or the McLouis 330 MC4 could be more adequate but I'll love to heard what you think.

We hope that £30k-40k could give us a decent starting van although we are prepared to go higher if that's unrealistic. I think £65k - £70k is my mental barrier that I'll not be prepared to go over. We don't need any luxuries, we are not fuzzy at all on interiors or colours and we are very happy buying second hand with a few years and a few miles on it but we want a reliable and well built van that can make us enjoy life and not being fixing stuff all the day long although I do like a bit of DYI and I have engineering background. We prefer to go as unnoticed as possible and we certainly don't want something too flashy that can attract the wrong attention. We don't discard buying a new motorhome but we will try to avoid it if possible to avoid some of the financial impact of this decision. We have even thought about a big camper van to be able to do a bit of stealth camping and move around more freely but we think they are probably going to be too small to spend a few months on it. We prefer to be a bit short on space rather than having a huge motorhome. I'll be lovely to be able to park in normal car parks and have access to lots of adventures!

Our plan is to find a second hand high quality A class or coach built motorhome. Reading around the forums I believe Rapido's or Hymmer's are an option as well as maybe Frankia and Buerstner. We are in no rush and we can wait until a good opportunity arises.

Your thoughts and feedback will be invaluable to us.

Pura Vida!

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
TL;DR

Assumptions that we need your input to see if our plans are realistic
- we can somehow have a consistently good connection to the Internet even if we need to pay top dollar for it.

Ideas that we need your input:
- Layout. Rear lounge for full timers? Or fixed bed?
- £40k second hand, A class. Well built and reliable... realistic?
- Under 7m to stay nimble. We need a small garage for two Bromptons... or can they be stored somewhere else? Maybe under a fixed bed? Any experience on this?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hello and welcome, sounds like you have a good plan so good luck.

Just to comment on the power side, if you are using it for work with high spec laptops and big screens, its hard to find the right 12v adapters or buck boost sometimes for them so think about plenty solar and lithiums with a good inverter.

Internet connectivity these work well, step up form the "mifi" set ups
mobile router, just add your own sim and allows multi connections, you may need cable adapters
Amazon product ASIN B07CH9SR5XAmazon product ASIN B079H2LX8X
Antenna
Amazon product ASIN B00C1DGFPS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Thank you Tombola . Yes, plenty solar and lithiums with a good inverter was on our list of must have. We have no idea in practice what this means in term of specs but it is something we want to have plenty off and we are aware that we will possibly need to do some upgrades as our use case is quite different than most people that use the vehicle to go on holidays :happy:

Thanks for the reference to the Netgear and the antena. Added to my Amazon list of things we might need to buy!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome.. a great first post...👍🏼

your looking in the right direction for motorhomes on your list, going by your ages do you have the C1 on your license to drive over 3500kg ? As your target vans will mostly be over.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/ are a good company that can deal with your internet needs and they are members on here and get very good reviews....

good luck😊

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Thank you for the warm welcome Just smiffy !

We are limited to 3500kg I'm afraid... I was hoping that something like the Pilote G690C (580kg payload reported by the manufacturer on the 3500 chassis) or McLouis 330 MC4 (562 kg payload reported by the manufacturer on the 3500 chassis) should be good for us but I have no idea what I'm doing so please let me know if you think that will not work. We want to stay legal all the time, I have no time and appetite for that type of risk. All our possessions fit on 2 * 25 kg luggage bags + 2 * 10 kg luggage bags plus the bikes, the kayak and the surf board. I know it because we are "homeless" at the moment and we are planning our return to UK next week so everything is packed up.

Pura Vida!

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Thanks wigster

Yeah, we have read that repeatedly in the forum and we need to admit that we found it very bad that manufacturers don't do a better job on this. At the moment we believe that it is likely that we will buy a second hand vehicle... how do that work? are owners happy to drive with you to a weighbridge or will that be an unacceptable request? Maybe they can give us the result of some previous weights?

I would assume that lots of people are in our situation and there are some compact vehicles that should fit our needs. We are not looking for a huge A class, we understand that we will need to make work a small / compact one. To be fair I believe we could even stay under 6m in an A class if we resolve the folding bike storage. We went to a couple of showroom in Spain to look at motorhomes and we found that a 6.50m A Class looked big for us (my wife said that Itineo FC 650 was huge)! Maybe someone has a similar lifestyle than us (full timing and working from the van and with two folding bikes?) and can tell us more.

Thank you Swifter for the welcome!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I think its acceptable to ask for a weighbridge ticket , even secondhand you will be spending a fair amount of cash .(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Multiple forms of internet connectivity is a must if you are reliant on it for work.
I carry multiple PAYG sims which I can top up in an emergency if my normal network fails. (happened 3 times so far).
I carry a vodaphone, EE and a 3 sim all of which I can top up when required in an emergency.

I also have a ubiquiti Loco M2 linked to a high quality MikroTik PoE router in the van for when wifi is available.

I will also be looking at the SpaceX Starlink system when they start offering mobile services.

When it comes to choosing a monitor consider power usage as your number one priority. The same goes for the computer and the graphics card. If you don't need to play games, video edit etc, then an Intel CPU with built in graphics is good enough for most regular office use. Or if you need a little more grunt then look at an older graphics card that doesn't require suplemental power. I use an NVidia GTX 750Ti when on the road and have a GTX1660 for when I have hookup (different computers).

Data backup becomes a priority on the road. A crash, fire or being stolen means you have to be able to rebuild your business data really quickly.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There's a few recent threads discussing internet connectivity, including this one
In post#5 I describe my setup (Teltonika RUTX11 router and roof antenna), and there are other ideas too.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Great ‘first post’ - lots of good advice will be coming your way, so don’t be afraid to ask any questions.;)

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
Thank you Gromett, I didn't knew about the Ubiquity products and they look very interesting. Definitely having multiple sources of Internet looks like the way to go for us, particularly because having PAYG sim cards cost nothing and they can provide a fallback mechanism. The SpaceX Starlink could be the final solution for someone like us, I guess there are no dates on when this will become available.

Gromett I never thought about the power consumption of my monitor 🤦‍♂️ . I have a Dell UltraSharp U2719D, I believe power consumption is 30W. Hopefully I can use that one and I don't need to buy a new one. Do you think I can make it work with this one or are there way more efficient ones that I should look at?

At the moment I use a Desktop that weights a ton, run AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU (3.5GHz-4.7GHz/73MB CACHE/AM4) with a 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 and CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIESTM SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD. I understand that I'll need to sell it or leave it to use it only when we are in campsites but probably the extra weight will not be justified. My main uses are coding (running and compiling large projects for our clients is CPU intensive) and some video editing (preparing demos and presentations). I don't do video games or other stuff.

My plan is to sell the Desktop to some gamer and buy a powerful Linux laptop or a top of the range 16 inch MacBook Pro. I understand that running a laptop in a motorhome should be fine and way more adequate than an old style heavy Desktop.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you Gromett, I didn't knew about the Ubiquity products and they look very interesting. Definitely having multiple sources of Internet looks like the way to go for us, particularly because having PAYG sim cards cost nothing and they can provide a fallback mechanism. The SpaceX Starlink could be the final solution for someone like us, I guess there are no dates on when this will become available.
Starlink is available now in the UK, but not quite ready for mobile use.

Gromett I never thought about the power consumption of my monitor 🤦‍♂️ . I have a Dell UltraSharp U2719D, I believe power consumption is 30W. Hopefully I can use that one and I don't need to buy a new one. Do you think I can make it work with this one or are there way more efficient ones that I should look at?

At the moment I use a Desktop that weights a ton, run AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core CPU (3.5GHz-4.7GHz/73MB CACHE/AM4) with a 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 and CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIESTM SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD. I understand that I'll need to sell it or leave it to use it only when we are in campsites but probably the extra weight will not be justified. My main uses are coding (running and compiling large projects for our clients is CPU intensive) and some video editing (preparing demos and presentations). I don't do video games or other stuff.
Think it is 38 watts, but it has a built in power supply so you would need a pure sine inverter to run it. Maybe consider looking into monitors that have an external power supply? Then you can get a DC/DC converter which are much more efficient.
I use a small laptop for my work when on the road, and a Ryzen 3600 based micro ITX box when on hookup. I don't need to compile as the programming I do is in PHP, Bash and other scripting languages. If you are compiling large C programs then a laptop would probably be underpowered for what you are used to? Might be worth looking at leasing a server and using github with a deploy script to git pull and compile. Then you can download the executable for testing. Scripting this would mean you wouldn't need to change your workflow too much? Just a thought?
SoYouStart.com and OVH.com both do well specced servers very cheaply. If you are happy with Linux then you could use the Ansible Orchestration tool to automate the whole thing fairly trivially. You would get high speed compiles and very low power usage locally.

Actually thinking about it, This may actually be an ideal use for AWS? Need to speak to kevenh on that one.

My plan is to sell the Desktop to some gamer and buy a powerful Linux laptop or a top of the range 16 inch MacBook Pro. I understand that running a laptop in a motorhome should be fine and way more adequate than an old style heavy Desktop.
I am most definitely biased, but I think Linux is a much better development system personally. Getting a powerful laptop is the other option then use the monitor as a second screen?
I prefer to have 2 computers in case one breaks. I would be completely and utterly screwed one of mine broke and I didn't have the other option. If my laptop breaks, it is not the end of the world as I still have my desktop and visa versa.

OP
OP
A

autocaravaner

Free Member
Mar 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
small van
I am most definitely biased, but I think Linux is a much better development system personally. Getting a powerful laptop is the other option then use the monitor as a second screen?
Yeah, I think it will be the easier setup: powerful laptop running Linux and monitor as second screen. Ideally I will find some way to setup a "standing desk" using the TV rack and I'll find a way to quickly switch from standing to sitting by removing the monitor and put it in a base.

I will need to research the monitor power consumption thingy, ouch! I was not planning to need to do that. Thanks for the advice Gromett ! Really appreciated. I have quickly looked in the digital nomads communities in Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/digitalnomad/search?q=monitor&restrict_sr=1) and it looks like lots of people use iPads + Sidecar or some type of portable monitors solutions that are USB powered. Those might be suitable alternatives, although I prefer a normal 24-27 inches monitor.

We already have a 4y old MacBook Pro that my wife uses for Web development, email, accounting, etc. It is not something I'll like to use normally for my daily work as it can be excruciatingly slow to build and run my projects (current build workflow takes 2 min in my desktop and 15 mins in the old laptop and I run it very regularly) but I can use it as an emergency computer if my main setup fails.

Being able to run the full compile > build locally is a must for me. I often change projects every 6 - 18 months so making the (unpaid) engineering effort to make the projects run in a managed service is probably not going to pay off for me. I normally work in Java and Kotlin and in large (or very large!) "enterprisy" type of projects. I normally play the hands-on architect / principal type of role with a mix of management consultant to help them become more "agile". Somehow we have managed as an industry to end up needing to build 6 micro-services inside 6 docker containers inside a Kubernetes cluster just to run a Hello world app... Most clients give their engineers decent (but not top of the range) MacBook Pros and they manage to work with them so I think that if I have something a bit more powerful (either top of the range MBP or similar linux based laptop) I should be alright.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I normally work in Java and Kotlin
Ah the two languages I hate and detest :p Again my bias may be showing, for some reason I had presumed C/C++ as that is what I used to use.

For serious dev work I couldn't do without my 27" 1440p and 24" 1080p side by side.

I am happy not having to earn a living writing in a compiled language these days. Getting too old for that :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back