Newbie with a dream project (1 Viewer)

Vanproject

Free Member
Mar 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi,

Pleased to find this forum, looks amazing with a lot of people and info.

At the moment, I am ordering my dream campervan, been studing about materials, brands, weights, equipment, gas or gasless.

The van will be a MAN TGE 4X4 MWB converted by a company to be off road and off grid, so underbody protection, snorkel, all terrain tyres, LED around the van and cctv.

My main concern is the weight limit. I am young with B license, I don't like the idea of taking the test for the License C.

I have seen that EU will allow drivers the 4.25T with the License B, so this is another matter which can affect my conversion band my future.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think (sadly) your dream will be a nightmare! As Lenny says (above) there is no way your converter will be able to keep you with a useable van from a payload perspective and keep it under 3500kg.

Your young, with a dream van, get your C1 licence and have a van that is what you want without compromising your dream. 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You need to.upgrade your licence it's not difficult. Why would you oder a vehicle that you can drive.
Even if EU lifted weight limits the UK does not have to follow.

How are you going to get to Dover? Or get insurance.

Where are you based

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Love the dream, but with a starting payload of 999Kg, as Lenny says, you're going to struggle to keep it under 3500Kg, especially with all the fancy bits you'll be adding externally.

Invest in the test, then you can fulfil your dreams without compromise.

Cheers
Red

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Welcome.

Firstly, given the cost of the new van, an extra ÂŁ1,000 to get your C1 licence (and add D1 whilst you are about it) is a small price to pay to then enable you to drive anything upto 7.5t.

As all the others have said above, you will have a continual issue of trying to keep the van under 3.5t, it means everything will be a compromise, all the time, including the weekly shopping list.

It will also severely impact how many days you can go 'off grid' as water is 1kg per litre and you need 20-30 liters per day unless you are going to ration yourself.
Water tanks are typically 100 liters/100kg.

Same applies to fuel, a 60 litre tank will get you 300-400 miles, but with a 120 or 150 litre long range tank (or jerry cans) you can travel 1,000 miles before needing to refuel

Unless you are intending on doing some fairly serious long distance rough roading (ie Trans Sahara or South American riprap) I'd be inclined to go for the LWB (6.8m) base van with a 5.5t payload.

OP
OP
Vanproject

Vanproject

Free Member
Mar 6, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Hi everyone, I have been doing some calculations and with fiberglass shower and Vandermoon cabinet, I don't think will be impossible. At least to the 3600kgs. Norantz build Man and California with same specs I am looking for and they say is under 3500kgs.

I will think about the license, the problem is the time. Anyone did recently? Also, go overweight means two people will have to get the license to drive it.

Can I buy the 3.180 and in the future up plate to 4.2T for example?

MAN is selling 3.5t or 5t, I think 5T is too much,isnt?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
They probably say it’s under 3.5 but you’ll likely not be able to carry much else. If you’re full time you need the extra capacity. Our self build sprinter comes in at 3.6 with none of our things inside, just the van and the two of us. Go for the 5t.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Welcome to the fun
One think to keep in mind, if you do go 4x4, you will need to have extra high roof, as the floor is much higher compared to the FWD. I have the crafter 3.5T LWB FWD, self converted and fully laden for the trip was 3.3T. I added since then a bike rack. Definetly a challenge to keep the weight down, I had to opt out for some things.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I think you need to get C1. At 3500kg it would be a constant struggle to keep below that figure. Not saying it can’t be done but I think you would end up regretting not getting a higher payload. Once you start loading up for longer trips, (bikes, water, chairs etc) that payload would soon put you over 3500. You will soon end up compromising what you can/want to take with you. I would also go lwb. Getting C1 isn’t difficult.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back