New van, how long to charge up? (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
We are getting our new van on the 20th at 1pm, and the day after we have to go to the University Vets near Ellesmere Port with our cockapoo for his cancer checkup.

We’re thinking (if it’s allowed at the mo - I think Wales opened up to holidaymakers from the 11th?) of carrying on through North Wales and to Beaumaris, one of our favourite little places for some peace.

We would wildcamp for one night, I’ve found a great little spot using the searchforsites app:
N 53.3041, W 4.14703

I hope the leisure battery(ies?) will be charged by Marquis for when we collect tbh but if not, am I right to assume that about 3.5hrs of motorway driving would top it up? I also have a 3 pin adapter to charge at home the night before if needed.

I might not need to worry but as we’re jumping right in I’d hate to run out of power.
We have a solar panel but not sure of the spec.

Thanks!
0A8D0835-2F3E-416A-B229-3CB72C5B4444.gif

(I’m actually from Blackpool 😆)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Your going to have to suck it and see. Hopefully the solars will keep up with demand. Keep an eye one the voltmeter if you have one, if not get one. If the leasure batteries drop to 12.1 turn off the TV. Have another look at the voltage tomorrow. Hopefully it's reading around 13v , or over when the sun shines.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Now I'm going to ask a stupid question as I'm also picking up a motorhome this week. What is the easiest way to charge at home?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Now I'm going to ask a stupid question as I'm also picking up a motorhome this week. What is the easiest way to charge at home?
Just run a lead as you would on site ... You can plug into any 13amp socket with a suitable adaptor, just don't run any heating on electric while plugged in.

EDIT It's not a stupid question... we all have to learn sometime.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Its a 150w solar panel and you only get one battery. The wiring is there to fit a 2nd battery. Ours was charged when we collected ours. They have it on EHU to show you all working at handover.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
knowing marquis of old and how they pdi, the van will have been sat about with the batteries discharging before they cleaned and prepped the van. Take it home and plug it in as the built in charger will be 10 to 20 amp as standard. So overnight will put a good charge in. Don't rely on charging as you drive, as without a Battery to Battery B2B charger, the alternator is only efficient to recharge the engine battery. When that is full, the alternator reduces it's charge rate and then can take many many hours to charge the leisure battery. The B2B effectively tricks the alternator to keep charging the engine battery, which in turn charges the leisure battery at 40-60 amps per hour depending on model

As you have a solar setup of some sort, that will help top up any charge you use, but without knowing the details, assume this is a couple of amps per hour, but could be more

Sorry to hear about your dog, one of ours had a cancerous mass removed a couple of weeks ago, so know how stressed you must be. A break away in the van should help, but anxiety about battery capability and charge should not be allowed to disturb your break. Hope you have a nice night of "normality" with peace and quiet

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Just run a lead as you would on site ... You can plug into any 13amp socket with a suitable adaptor, just don't run any heating on electric while plugged in.

EDIT It's not a stupid question... we all have to learn sometime.
Now I need to know why you shouldn’t have heating on when plugged, learn something new everyday.

Mickey.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Now I need to know why you shouldn’t have heating on when plugged, learn something new everyday.

Mickey.
I'm only saying while on a 13amp socket which may get overloaded if you run electric heating at 3 Kw along with charger and maybe fridge.
Reduced heating at 1 or 2 Kw would probably be ok.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Put it on charge at home and also use the electric to cool the fridge ready 👍
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍Either way we always put our on hookup overnight before we set off from home. As chaser said it will get your fridge cooled and it always works more efficiently on mains where there is a hookup. Switch fridge to battery while you are driving then, on arrival either gas or mains if a hookup is available. 👍

Wyn

Wyn

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On a 13amp mains connection, in theory you can use up to 13 x 240 = 3120 watts total.

A fridge and battery charger will be using about 500 watts maximum.

If you are using more than 1000 watts you need to make sure the hookup cable is unwound from its reel and laid in loose loops on the ground. Otherwise it could slowly heat up, and even melt the plastic insulation.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Thank you all for the info, I feel much better already and I will call Marquis to make sure they charge it up (wasn’t sure if it was the norm, I don’t like being unreasonable lol)

knowing marquis of old and how they pdi, the van will have been sat about with the batteries discharging before they cleaned and prepped the van. Take it home and plug it in as the built in charger will be 10 to 20 amp as standard. So overnight will put a good charge in. Don't rely on charging as you drive, as without a Battery to Battery B2B charger, the alternator is only efficient to recharge the engine battery. When that is full, the alternator reduces it's charge rate and then can take many many hours to charge the leisure battery. The B2B effectively tricks the alternator to keep charging the engine battery, which in turn charges the leisure battery at 40-60 amps per hour depending on model

As you have a solar setup of some sort, that will help top up any charge you use, but without knowing the details, assume this is a couple of amps per hour, but could be more

Sorry to hear about your dog, one of ours had a cancerous mass removed a couple of weeks ago, so know how stressed you must be. A break away in the van should help, but anxiety about battery capability and charge should not be allowed to disturb your break. Hope you have a nice night of "normality" with peace and quiet

Thanks for this, not only the useful info but your nice message made us smile; I think we’re going to love this camper lifestyle and can tell that we are going to make some good lifelong friends 👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all for the info, I feel much better already and I will call Marquis to make sure they charge it up (wasn’t sure if it was the norm, I don’t like being unreasonable lol)

IMO if a dealer delivers a MH with a battery not fully charged it would not be 'fit for purpose' under Sale of Goods legislation.

Get a second battery to match the one fitted ASAP - stop some worries on the road. And a B2B, which will free you from finding EHU.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back