Free Member
Jan 15, 2017
Croydon
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I'm new looking to bye a motor home and travel round England and Europe in my retirement next year any advice would be appreciated thanks

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try hiring before you buy, so you can get an idea of lay-out that suits you.
Also if planning long trips, think about a fixed bed or drop down bed because making the bed every night could be a lot of hassle.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
IMG_0598.JPG
The forum is full of great advice. Just ask the Qs or use the search box to find most answers.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Differing advice here. (we are all different) i would make a few lists of 1) absolute necessary, 2) really desirable 3) think i want this

1) diesel, RHD, less than 3,500 kilo fixed bed 4 berth captains chairs, dry FSH (UK model)
2) rear kitchen, garage, solar, gaslow, less than 20K on clock, overhead bed (shall i put generator here or will that start an argument)
3) leather interior, bike rack, less than 3 years old, white, (Trump sticker will definitely start an argument)

Then i would start looking around ebay gumtree autotrader and make a list of what vans hit the mark. During this time i would expect your list to get bigger and change because now youre wondering whether you need a big fridge freezer or not and the new truma heater or will the 3000 suffice and what is a gas tank that goes underneath? do i need my habitation door on the left? If i buy a Ford will it get stolen ? Electric steps - are they another thing that can go wrong? Where do i fit my microwave? Is there enough space on the roof for a satellite so i can watch eastenders?

Then you can put yourself in a position to go and speak with dealers and have some form of knowledge. Make yourself a cash buyer.

Then, when you see something you like that ticks most of the boxes (because you wont find one that ticks them all (as the list is humungous now)) i would go buy one which was a bit older on a private sale from someone who was old and preferably one owner who had done an average of 2,000 miles a year and had it for 10 years with FSH.

I would try not to fall in love with this van because my intention is to sell it as my list would have changed for full timing next year and i would have tried it 5 or 6 times. i reckon it may well end up cheaper than hiring.

Others will come along with other ideas. Just pick what you like out of the ideas and make your own mind up. (its easier to make the list on a computer as tippex can be expensive!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'm not familiar with the exact location of Croydon, but might be an advantage to have something that's LEZ compatible ?
Have you ever camped or caravanned before, it's not to everyone's taste ?
Good luck with your hunt (y)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

.... p.s. To get the most from the forum you will need to subscribe. It's well worth £15 and will allow you to continue posting as well as letting you into areas that non members can't access.

Broken Link Removed

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back