New Motorhome Zero Rated VAT Relief Rules For Disabled.

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by Jim, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +99,345
    Just found this. The NCC, the trade body representing the UK's leisure vehicle industry, has welcomed new HMRC rules on VAT relief available on motorhomes adapted for disabled wheelchair users, which came into force this month.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +16,837
    somewhat annoying that the limit of one vehicle every three years has been introduced. a motorhome is rarely a primary source of transport. therefore you will be left able to change motorhome and car each at 6 years old. if the disability increases necessitating replacing the car with a drive from wheelchair vehicle or a wheelchair transporter within the limit, then the disabled person will be left without suitable transport for years

3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +17,506
    Does anyone know what the "substantial and permanent adaptations" would involve?

4. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,331
    Probably as in everything a few people tear the a--e out of it and spoil it for all, but that is the way it goes.

5. TheBig1

Ratings:
    +16,837
    something bolted to the vehicle. for instance a set of hand controls or a mounting plate for clamping a wheelchair. the simplest adaption is a steering wheel ball

6. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

Ratings:
    +1,244
    What they were doing fitting a steering wheel ball and claiming the vat back keeping it 6 month's removing the steering ball then selling for a large profit
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

Ratings:
    +7,015
    might have to drag the mil out of bed for a trip

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,836
    There wasn't a minimum period to keep a vat free vehicle, so I'm sure some abused the system.

9. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,614
    I'm really going to stick my neck on the block here. Why should a motorhome be VAT free? I fully understand and support the necessity for a car as a means of transport. However, a motorhome is a lifestyle choice and by no means a necessity so why should it be subsidised?

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. TheBig1

Ratings:
    +16,837
    some disabled people need the facilities of a motorhome to travel

everything from a bed to a toilet and shower

you dont see those in cars

• Like it Like it x 7
  11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +21,671
    A van with wheelchair hoist plus loo and shower could be very useful for me in the future ...... add somewhere to make a quick snack and somewhere to have a snooze and it's an adapted motorhome.

There are a number of people who are afraid to leave home in case they get "caught short" as a result of disability - to be able to have a vehicle fitted with loo and shower could mean at least some freedom for them.

• Like it Like it x 7
  12. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Vat relief on one or the other seems pretty reasonable ?

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ratings:
    +12,133
    Some dealers have been overheard promoting such fraud to up their sales
    Any dealer playing naughty games will have to pay the VAT if the customer gets caught and wont

14. joka250

joka250 Funster

Ratings:
    +566
    Agree totally with @TheBig1 and @Puddleduck . As a result of medication I take I need the loo every 10 or so minutes first thing and for up to 3 hours on a bad day, only a motorhome can serve that need (or stay at home) and I feel fortunate compared with many. So for many with complex needs a motorhome is a perfect choice.

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Ratings:
    +2,725
    I think I read somewhere a boat can also be VAT free, however disabled people have very few life style choices due to there disabilities

16. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,830
    There are some wonderful disability friendly sailing boats, including those used in the paralympics. I tried one once (sit in seat and hand controls etc) Bloody hard to sail fast. Never knew that they would be VAT free

17. stewartwebr

stewartwebr Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,614
    Please do not think I am in anyway being disrespectful to anyone with mobility needs. I fully appreciate how challenging even the simplest of daily activities can be. However....and there is always a however, accepting that a motorhome fits the needs of an individual better than a car should we in the interest of the nations purse limit the amount of items one individual can have VAT free. If a motorhome fills the needs then surely there is no need to benefit from a VAT free car, as for VAT free boats, that does not sound right in my mind.

• Like it Like it x 2
  18. Spriddler

Spriddler Funster

Ratings:
    +2,255
    Slightly O/T but a layabout distant cousin lived in a 'community' of 4 other Rastafarians on a rented old boat in Brighton marina and the DSS paid the mooring fee (as 'Housing Benefit' I was told) of several thousand pounds p.a. ( ISTR it was £6,200 p.a.). I wonder if that housing benefit could also be claimed by a disabled person living full time in a m/home?

19. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ratings:
    +6,473
    It does have to be a substantial adaption, a steering ball on the steering wheel is definately not sufficient.

Too many people were abusing the VAT relief including some dealers

I do agree that disabled people should get this facility as it does enable them to bet out of the house safely, enjoy the outdoor life with the comforts of home, shower and especially toilet close to hand

Peter

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. TheBig1

Ratings:
    +16,837
    I beg to differ about the steering ball not being accepted. somewhere here I have a written reply from hmrc where i asked, if combined with ramps for an electric wheelchair, if a steering ball would be classed as a substantial adaption. In short, their reply was that so long as the steering aid was bolted on to the wheel and not removable by a clip, then yes it was sufficient

what many folk don't seem to know is that if a vehicle is zero rated for vat due to disability, then any servicing on that vehicle should also be zero rated (exempt) for vat too

• Informative Informative x 1