LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you've not done it yet Innkeeper a trip to a weighbridge before you set off might not be a bad idea. It will tell you if your overloaded. It will tell you if one of the axles is overloaded. It will tell you if you are carrying too much useless crap. Errrrrr, if you need to reassess what you have on board. ?
Load heavy stuff low down and light stuff high up (not 100kgs of tins in top cupboard), have you got enough battery power/solar power? Can you travel with full tank of water? Have you got refillable gas tanks (no Calor abroad)? Just stuff we needed to sort four years ago when we went full time ?

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi Badknee will take it to a weighbridge we have also been in touch with with a company that will rerate the payload up wards.
The gas is one where you plug it in to some sort of pipe line at a garage. Want to find a quiet place to try that out.
As for power there is a solar panel see how we get one with one in Spain but if need be get another if poss.
At the moment were thinking along the line of 2 nights off site and one night on asite refill water, re charge battery and empty water and toilet cassette.
But we our expecting a few hick ups along the way
Rob

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Nice one Rob, have you got a range of filling adaptors for the gas as the ones over the other side of the ditch change from country to country? When in the uk I fill up at either a FloGas depot or a local lpg supplier. That gets us down to Spain where there are loads of fill stations usually attached to fuel stations. We can go four or five days “wild” and use Campercontact which is invaluable when on the road. There is also a fuel app and an lpg app I’ll try to find. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Here you go Rob Innkeeper
Fuel is Essence&Co which changes daily as the price changes and you can have cheapest or nearest.

B5D67ED6-73AB-4DCF-A69C-5157C3FD4F55.png

And this is the nearest lpg stop, sometimes the same places. We usually fill up with both derv and lpg while we can.

05678D50-4B0A-475E-9FA3-149DEB77423F.png

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I fink !!!!!!!! you are only supposed to stay no more than 90 days in any EU country without registering or sumfink like that. :cool:
After the UK leaves the EU you may only be allowed to stay in a Shengen country for 90 days.
Registering or automatically becoming a resident of another EU country after staying for 3 months is a fallacy.
You MAY be eligible to live in another EU country after 3 months if you want to live there and you can’t register in another country without a local address.

Your entitlement to NHS care and use of you EHIC card stops after 3 months out of the UK.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Here you go Rob Innkeeper
Fuel is Essence&Co which changes daily as the price changes and you can have cheapest or nearest.

View attachment 310307

And this is the nearest lpg stop, sometimes the same places. We usually fill up with both derv and lpg while we can.

View attachment 310308
Will look for the app. Does the attend fill it up in the UK and Spain. Do we have to let gas run out or can we fill at any time. Was told we will need an adaptor

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Will look for the app. Does the attend fill it up in the UK and Spain. Do we have to let gas run out or can we fill at any time. Was told we will need an adaptor
Never had any help in the uk but have in Spain. Fill up anytime. Adaptors are plentiful on E of the Bay or from Gasit or Gaslow.
Tip:- If you have two bottles always have one turned off. When you run out you always have a full one to run on. Fill the empty one up asap then shut it off and run on the part full one you have open.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Check this out.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
See Badknee that's a Brill idea would never have thought of that. Of turning one off.
So have I got this right turn one off when need turn back on us as normal till fill up then just switch off again.
Does it matter which one?
20190613_203439.jpg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
See Badknee that's a Brill idea would never have thought of that. Of turning one off.
So have I got this right turn one off when need turn back on us as normal till fill up then just switch off again.
Does it matter which one?View attachment 310351
No it doesn’t matter Rob.
OK fill them both then turn the right one off.
Run the left one till empty, turn off and open the right one and use.
Fill the now empty left one and leave it turned off and use the right one. ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Innkeeper can I add when you refill bottles, both will fill up.
They don’t need to be on to fill, some advocate having both bottles turned off and do that.

Can I ask are you selling up so effectively no base.
Hope you don’t mind me asking just being nosey ?

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Innkeeper can I add when you refill bottles, both will fill up.
They don’t need to be on to fill, some advocate having both bottles turned off and do that.

Can I ask are you selling up so effectively no base.
Hope you don’t mind me asking just being nosey ?
Yep where homeless. Going to see what happens after Brexit then may be buy something over there or in UK. We would rather buy over there

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yep where homeless. Going to see what happens after Brexit then may be buy something over there or in UK. We would rather buy over there

Fair play to you, didn’t know if you had a master plan ?

I have every respect to you going out and “doing it” ?

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Fair play to you, didn’t know if you had a master plan ?

I have every respect to you going out and “doing it” ?
Thanks you only live once and all that. When we bought the Inn neither of us had ever work behind a bar before never mind run a restaurant. With the people we know there are 2 schools of thought. We are very brave or mad. Some people are jealous and some very jealous.
Whether were make a sound move remains to be seen. But at least we would have give it a go

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks you only live once and all that. When we bought the Inn neither of us had ever work behind a bar before never mind run a restaurant. With the people we know there are 2 schools of thought. We are very brave or mad

Knowing a few that have had pubs I’d put you in the mad camp ?

All power to your elbow ?

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hi innkeeper you can fill your gas at the "Skiach services" south of Alness on the A9 and also at the filling station on the A96 as you leave Nairn heading towards Aberdeen.
I believe "Highland Campervans" (heading toward the airport from Inverness) also have overnight facilities, ehu, grey and black water facilities for a fee. I believe that opened last summer. .
Enjoy your travels and adventures.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi Val 2 dogs
Do yo know the name of the one by Nairn. Having a few nights visiting daughter in Elgin.
Is there a list of UK for places that refill gas bottles?
Also as advised turned a gas bottle off

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hi, sorry I don't know the name of it but it's the petrol station just before you go under the railway bridge as you leave Nairn going towards Elgin. The people there are very friendly and helpful .
The pump takes a while to get going, so don't worry just keep the red button pushed in, once it gets going it wil ltick over at a regular speed.
When it slows down /becomes irregular release the red button -don't try to squeeze an extra drop- your gas bottle is full, trying to get more in just messes up the valves (I speak from experience).
I'm afraid I can't help with your other question re a list of uk gas stations, I'm sure there is - Google it, but somebody on here is sure to come along and tell you.
Happy travels, enjoy your van, mine brought me and the dogs here to Southern Spain, where we now live very contentedly.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Innkeeper , Rob,
There are quite a few videos on YouTube about filling up with LPG. Just go to the site and search for Filling with Autogas or Filling with LPG.

Regarding actually using your tanks, try to get into a routine...

When you fill up at a LPG pump it automatically fills both your tanks to their capacity and then shuts off.
For safety, close the flow valves from both bottles when filling.
When filling is complete, turn either of the flow valves back on so that you can use the gas on your Van.
The gauges you have on each bottle are notoriously unreliable and will drop from full to empty in a short period of time. This is why people advocate running with only one flow valve open so that you never completely run out of gas.
Try and fill up with gas whenever you can.
Remember the pump nozzle will be very cold after filling and the escape of gas when disconnecting makes you jump for the first few times.o_O
Safe travels.

Barry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When filling first put on some insulated/long gloves/gauntlets (never do it with bare arms and hands), turn your gas off at both bottles, and then do the filling, you need to clamp the filler on the inlet and then press the button on the gas pump to get it to work, it sometimes takes a few seconds for the flow to start so don't worry about it. Once full the pump will shut off and you can then let go of the button and remove the filler - it will let out some gas so keep your head, hands and arms away from the nozzle - if the gas 'gets' you it will burn you, hence the need for the gloves.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A pair of warehouse freezer gloves about £5 on ebay is a sensible purchase. liquid lpg expanding rapidly to gas can freeze burn the tissue on any bare skin it touches

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
A pair of warehouse freezer gloves about £5 on ebay is a sensible purchase. liquid lpg expanding rapidly to gas can freeze burn the tissue on any bare skin it touches
Will order a pair. See i never would have thought about them

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Or some of those red pvc gloves will be ok
Normally around a quid at car boots and the like ?
not the open cuff type I hope? a splash of liquid inside the cuff of the glove will have grown men screaming like a little girl

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all
My name is Rob along with wife Les and small dog Pip. We have just bought our first Motorhome. An A Class it's a Le Voyager 13yrs old. Along with that we have also sold our Inn in the North West Highlands of Scotland. Will have to change username LOL.
We have booked a one way ticket to Spain we leave on the 14th July might see some of you on board.
Any way our plan is drive round Europe as long as they will have us also a trip over to Morocco.
After that we plan come back to the UK and find some work on holiday parks and general just live in our Motorhome. As I type we our having our first wild camp between Ullapool and Inverness. Find out what we can do or what bits of the Motorhome might need looking at. Or for us to learn how to use things.
We also pick up a couple of push bikes this weekend ebike for Les normal one for me for now
So there you go now you know our basic plan.
One of the the things we would like to do while in Spain is a Camino (long distance footpath or Pilgrimage)
So if anyone can share advice or stories feel free.
Rob
Get one with pedals as pushing a bike will become tedious ??

colleen murphy

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
Hey there. Enjoy your new life. We have been living full time in our lovely Celtic Rambler Fifth Wheeler for 2 years spending 6 months of the winter in Europe: the first year touring Spain and this Winter touring Portugal. We then come back to England for the Summer (?) months catching up with family and friends and doing odd jobs to fill the depleted money bank. Life couldn't be better

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
colleen murphy wow sounds exactly what we want to do. Can I ask a few things. What mileage do you do we have no idea what to put down for insurance? What jobs do you do when back here? Do you mind if i personal contact you via conversations if need be.
Rob

colleen murphy

Free Member
Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
Sorry about delay Rob. Been busy, busy. We have 15000 miles on insurance with Camptons. But have just received renewal notice for end of July and notice we have done 16000! So have to ring them tomorrow to find out if our knuckles are going to be rapped and what happens next. Also re spending more than 120 days in Europe! !
My husband is self employed buying plants /flowers from growers and selling on to nurseries and shops. I do admin work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back