New fledglings (1 Viewer)

funinthesun80

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Good Morning All,

My husband and I are beginners really when it comes to motorhomes. Recommended by a friend we purchased our first Elddis Autoquest motorhome to see how we got on and we have had so many happy memories trundling round the UK and we still wonder why we didn't do all this years ago? We have just sold her, as we are now looking to upgrade to something a bit bigger and newer (although we don't want to spend too much more money).
One of the big factors which will affect what we purchase is that we are looking to move to Spain in the not so distant future so wonder if anyone has any experience in this field and can advise us on the best thing to do with regards to whether we buy a left hander and take it across with us or purchase one over there and have a right hander for our remaining time in the UK.
Our friend suggested this site as from his experience you are all a fountain of knowledge when it comes to these things. Any help would be greatly appreciated to aid our predicament. Have a lovely day all :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You could of course purchase a LHD one and use it in the UK and then export it to Spain when you go, others have done this I believe and I suspect it would save you a lot of money as you wouldn't lose out when you came to sell a RHD one before going over there and then trying to find a good LHD one. There's also then nothing to stop you buying one abroad and importing it into the UK so that you get the benefit of cheaper prices than the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

funinthesun80

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Thank you for your response, from what you say it is probably best for us to buy a LHD over here and take it with us to Spain (we are going to be living there full time) Do you know rough costs involved to do this?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi-smiley.png
In view of your plans , and as @Minxy Girl suggests , the LHD option will probably work best , esp its not difficult driving LHD in your home country . Might be worth you looking here to give you a bigger choice of LHD vehicles . Its easy enough to bring in to UK .
Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our friend suggested this site as from his experience you are all a fountain of knowledge when it comes to these things.

I've definitely seen a few posts on this in here, from memory importing is a pain as you not only have to satisfy regs you pay tax as well.

Have a good search on here. Probably better to buy in Spain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

funinthesun80

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
thank you everyone for your feedback, i will have a look into it. Maybe best on reflection to just get a motorhome when we get out there and settled and have a right hander here up until we move :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Lenny HB (and others) has imported MHs a few times so can tell you the reality of how easy it is to bring one in from abroad, it's not as difficult as it may seem and could save you a LOT of money.

OP
OP
F

funinthesun80

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Thank you for your responses, I have got tacr2man's link to the German Motorhome site which we will have a look at later and see what is about. I have looked at what is about all over the UK at the mo, as I know we might have to drive to find it, but all prices are through the roof because of the holidays I guess and the warmer weather. Kind of think we should have kept the one we had a bit longer!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welco:

I'd buy lhdrive & replate it when you move. There is no tax when importing it as part of your goods & chattels & if done correctly ,& within 30 days of first registering on the padron ( similar to the electoral roll) or even before .
Reason I'd do that is the price of them here. Far dearer than elsewhere & certainly the UK.

OP
OP
F

funinthesun80

Free Member
Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
Thank you all for all your feedback and info. You have definitely given us food for thought :) Just to let you all know we are collecting a rhd motorhome that my husband found on the weekend , an upgrade all round on what we had before so really looking forward to it, we will keep the options open for Spain and see how we get on. Will post some piccies to let you all see our new addition to the family shortly :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back