New Ferry From Poole, Dorset To Tangiers, Morocco? (1 Viewer)

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I read it as circa 25knots for a ferry, over approx 1152 nautical miles to Tangiers = circa 46 hrs.

i.e. 2 days.

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
Two ships, 31,000 tons each with capacity for 1000 passengers.
Pride of York and Pride of Bruges from the Hull - Zeebrugge route
Both for sale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I agree, was thinking the as gpat, a freight only ship would need some serious adaptations to become a passenger ferry offering cabins etc. Don't even think about the additional "Pet Friendly" ones to keep all the Funsters happy;)

Its great to see new travel opportunities being discussed though, just goes to prove there are always ways around logistical problems, even if they are just caused by political bureaucracy/additional paperwork.

Is it too early to guess the price do you think?
Fingers crossed, as always.
LES
Why the need for cabins?. Electric hook up and cassette emptying (y) Bob's yer Uncle.;)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why the need for cabins?. Electric hook up and cassette emptying (y) Bob's yer Uncle.;)
I agree mate, shame the Italy to Greece option of Camping On Deck ferries hasn't been considered this far north, must be a reason, but cant think of one other than EU elf & safety.
LES

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Surely a larger vessel than that to be commercially viable? She is 27000 tonnes, just as a comparison Pont Aven the Brittany Ferries ship is 40000 tonnes.
The article says this is the biggest vessel that would fit in Poole harbour

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I agree mate, shame the Italy to Greece option of Camping On Deck ferries hasn't been considered this far north, must be a reason, but cant think of one other than EU elf & safety.
LES
I think it depends on the design of the ferry. If it's a deck that is above waterline then you are permitted to access it once at sea. Below decks ( or closed whilst at sea) is strictly against maritime regs as I understand it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think it depends on the design of the ferry. If it's a deck that is above waterline then you are permitted to access it once at sea. Below decks ( or closed whilst at sea) is strictly against maritime regs as I understand it.
Currently configured with two decks both above waterline. Lorries on the lower covered deck and cars on open upper deck.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Currently configured with two decks both above waterline. Lorries on the lower covered deck and cars on open upper deck.
Hopeful then. The Isle of Man ferry Ben my chree has an open deck above water buy they close if off before putting to sea. I think it's because it still has to be watertight. Perhaps a local or national requirement, not sure.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hopeful then. The Isle of Man ferry Ben my chree has an open deck above water buy they close if off before putting to sea. I think it's because it still has to be watertight. Perhaps a local or national requirement, not sure.
The proposed vessel travels with the deck open.
1615378354291.png

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
The proposed vessel travels with the deck open.
View attachment 472266

That’s the one we sailed in a few years go and it is in my opinion not geared up for crossings of over 24 hours. Very basic amenities.
Sailings to Tangiers will take close on 3 days. I’ve done the Gib route often enough.
25 knots is not what companies allow their vessels to sail at as it is prohibitively expensive on fuel.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
May be the unaccompanied trailers would be put up there ?
Probably not as the freight potentially could be worth more than the cars. Also, a number of shippers (I was one) where below deck storage was mandatory due to the cargo.

Would they alter it or a higher unloading ramp. No idea just wondered
Highly unlikely as it wouldn't be a cost viable conversion as not only would the vessel need to be reworked but any port of call would have to reworked also to accommodate her.

That looks a little open to the elements. Having been on some rough crossings over the years I’d be worried about possible damage. :unsure:
Bay of Biscay during the winter!:eek:

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Its not looking feasible really is it unless they had a suitable vessel. Even the old P&O ferries wouldnt really cut it. They are too focused on cars/holidaymakers than freight (unless lots of cars want to go to Morroco).

I can't see us spending 3 days on some throbbing old plodder with no decent bars/restaurants/entertainment/cabins unless they offer free sedatives/sleeping tablets

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Probably not as the freight potentially could be worth more than the cars. Also, a number of shippers (I was one) where below deck storage was mandatory due to the cargo.

Highly unlikely as it wouldn't be a cost viable conversion as not only would the vessel need to be reworked but any port of call would have to reworked also to accommodate her.

Bay of Biscay during the winter!:eek:

Zeebrugge to Dover, and Harwick to Hoek......winter crossings have been interesting a few times.🤮

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
That’s the one we sailed in a few years go and it is in my opinion not geared up for crossings of over 24 hours. Very basic amenities.
Sailings to Tangiers will take close on 3 days. I’ve done the Gib route often enough.
25 knots is not what companies allow their vessels to sail at as it is prohibitively expensive on fuel.
Correct. I sail from Poole to either Cherbourg or the Channel Islands at least once a year, in normal times, crossing the shipping lanes of course as I go. My ais instruments tell me the course and speed, amongst other stuff, of the commercial shipping I come across. Most of it is moving at 12-15knts. Thats 13-17mph. Ferries are often 15-20knts, depending on the ship and conditions.

I look forward to seeing how this route works out.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The Pont Aven cruises at 22knots but the new more eco ferries are designed to run at 18knots.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Some of the ropax vessels can manage 28knots including the superfast brand vessels but they do burn bunkers up running at these speeds the old innisfallen running swansea cork the 1970s pushed out 24knots on the southern crossing that could be interesting in a gale

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
This has been discussed within maritime circles and is basically a none event. Originally found in a niche retail magazine with a very small circulation and discussed as a freight only service stopping at Portugal too.

There's no vessel capable of fulfilling the timetable the unknown, zero maritime experienced owner/operator has talked about.

Local African media have also said that any service would return empty the majority of the time.

Another spurious rumour in a similar way to the Vigo-Plymouth -Cork classic.

Just to confirm, Pont Aven can manage 28 knots but cruises at 24. The new BF E-Flexer, Galicia serves her routes at 22 kts. Cap Finistere - ex Superfast V averages around 27 knots and is quite frugal fuel wise considering due to her hull form.

The largest RoPax ferry Poole can serve is a Visentini (LD pic, now BF's Etretat which is returning to Stena this year).

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would think anything like this would need government backing to cover the money, as not many can risk that much money on an unknown.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back