Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Have a Transit based van, about 3 years old, that sits on the drive on permanent EHU. Took it for a run about 4 weeks ago and also found the vehicle battery was low on electrolyte, on 2 or 3 cells, so topped it up

Will not start this morning and voltage about 11.2, went up to 11.3 when charger switched on. As the Hab battery is showing over 13V, I am assuming that the charger was turned ON and is working OK

Is it safe to assume a new battery is required, or are there other things that I should check?
Any pointers as to best place to buy - in no hurry?

TIA

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Most car parts suppliers will have or be able to get you a battery, go for one with a 2 year guarantee.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do you know that the starter battery gets charged when on hook up.

Martin

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Do you know that the starter battery gets charged when on hook up.

Martin

Been on this permanent EHU for a couple of winters now, and had no probs, so believe both batteries are charged. Battery would have been drained by alarm and other parasitic drains, many times, if it was not being charged

Coming to conclusion battery is US, priced a new BOSH. Left on charge overnight and will check voltage tomorrow. If still low will go for new battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Will not start this morning and voltage about 11.2, went up to 11.3 when charger switched on. A
With the charger turned on, and IF it charges the cab battery, the voltage should show a minimum 13.6v.....whether the cab battery is charged or flat.
I would consider checking the charger first to confirm it charges both hab and cab batteries.

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
With the charger turned on, and IF it charges the cab battery, the voltage should show a minimum 13.6v.....whether the cab battery is charged or flat.
I would consider checking the charger first to confirm it charges both hab and cab batteries.

Thanks for that. I have taken the battery out and got clearer readings, much higher when on charge. With a Transit you have to remove the seat and the swivel to get to the battery. My first readings were in situ and from a clamp on a clamp

Replacing with a sealed battery - sick of taking seat out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back