New 4 lane motorway lane discipline. (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Has anyone noticed how awful lane discipline seems to be on the newly converted 4 lane smart motorway stretches? Over the last few months I have driven down quite a few and been horrified at the number of drivers who sit in the 3rd lane in particular driving at a low speeds (50 mph for one idiot on a stretch of the M6 last night!) whilst other folk fly past them on the outside or are forced to undertake them. It seems that either they think they aren’t allowed to change lanes, are scared to pull across two lanes to get back to where they should be on the (clear of other traffic) inside lane or just get confused with the choice of another lane and forget everything they were ever taught about motorway driving. It’s not just the odd case either, I have seen it happening many, many times to the extent that I an beginning to think it’s a real problem that needs addressing.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Has anyone noticed how awful lane discipline seems to be on the newly converted 4 lane smart motorway stretches? Over the last few months I have driven down quite a few and been horrified at the number of drivers who sit in the 3rd lane in particular driving at a low speeds (50 mph for one idiot on a stretch of the M6 last night!) whilst other folk fly past them on the outside or are forced to undertake them. It seems that either they think they aren’t allowed to change lanes, are scared to pull across two lanes to get back to where they should be on the (clear of other traffic) inside lane or just get confused with the choice of another lane and forget everything they were ever taught about motorway driving. It’s not just the odd case either, I have seen it happening many, many times to the extent that I an beginning to think it’s a real problem that needs addressing.
forget everything they were ever taught about motorway driving

One wonders if they were ever taught

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what about when you are in lane 1on a three lane mway that suddenly turns into a so called smart mway and everyone suddenly starts undertaking, why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Whats a smart motorway ? last time I was on the M6 it was so slow it should have been a slow way not a motor way. We were averaging 20mph from Manchester to Lancaster.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It's hilarious and scary at the same time watching the Middle Lane Owners Club getting confused with four lanes..

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If everybody stays in their lane then undertaking isn't a problem. We should now adopt the US system.

Including turning right on a red light with caution,( obviously here it would be turning left) speeds up traffic flow no end,

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
what about when you are in lane 1on a three lane mway that suddenly turns into a so called smart mway and everyone suddenly starts undertaking, why?
If people are as you say undertaking you. You should be at least one lane to the left. Then the vehicles travelling faster than you can overtake.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Has anyone noticed how awful lane discipline seems to be on the newly converted 4 lane smart motorway stretches?
Good lord it has been like that since they first widened the M25 to 4 lanes including a hard shoulder.Waste of time from the outset if you do not restrict lorries to only the inside 2 lanes , coaches to only the first 3 . Without doing that then even if it was 20 lanes wide the t/***s that shouldn't even be out will always :mad: it up.:mad:
If everybody stays in their lane then undertaking isn't a problem. We should now adopt the US system.
They were going to but decided that those who were too stupid to understand what they were supposed to be doing already would end up making it a destruction derby..
having said that it has always been the norm on the M25.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
They should put idiot proof signs on the overhead gantries.
I undertake but I shouldn’t.:rolleyes:

Same as that, I’m buggered if I’m going to cross 4 lanes to overtake them.

It’s surprising how few even move to their left even when you undertake them :rolleyes:

Thick as s*** as my old instructor used to say :)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Same as that, I’m buggered if I’m going to cross 4 lanes to overtake them.

It’s surprising how few even move to their left even when you undertake them :rolleyes:

Thick as s*** as my old instructor used to say :)
My first driving lesson my instructor told me never trust anyone driving wearing a hat. How many times that has proved good advice over the years.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My first driving lesson my instructor told me never trust anyone driving wearing a hat. How many times that has proved good advice over the years.
I take my cap off to your driving instructor's wisdom:D

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oi! That’s a very hattist comment!
I’ll have you know,I wear a hat quite often,due to the fact I’m follically challenged.......keeps the brain warm.
Doesn’t mean I’m a crap driver................Oh,yes.erm I undertake. Perhaps your man was right:D:LOL::D

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
My father said the same so it must be true.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I would go further than that and say don’t trust anyone with a stupid white hat on their parcel shelf.

That ( in my experience) is the true sign of incompetence.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Perhaps if they built proper motorways with 4 lanes and a hardshoulder people would not get confused.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Coming home from Chester I kept trying to stay in the inside lane on a so called “not so smart motorway” only to find it was the lane for the next turn off, hence constantly shuffling into lane two:mad:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I would go further than that and say don’t trust anyone with a stupid white hat on their parcel shelf.

That ( in my experience) is the true sign of incompetence.
Surely though,that’s better than having a parcel on it..........now that really would be very very silly.:LOL:;)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Perhaps if they built proper motorways with 4 lanes and a hardshoulder people would not get confused.

Then people are driving without due care and attention.

The instructions are there for all to see :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Surely though,that’s better than having a parcel on it..........now that really would be very very silly.:LOL:;)

I will fight you for that.

I am the bloke in the stupid white hat.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how can you be forced to break the law undertaking is illegal your supposed to go round them

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Personally where you get it become 4 lanes for a few miles only to become an exit lane, I feel safer if a left hooker truck stays in lane and not move over only to miss a car along side when they pull back over because the lane is turning off.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
how can you be forced to break the law undertaking is illegal your supposed to go round them
It’s not classed as undertaking in most instances. The traffic in the left lane is just moving faster than one to it’s right. If however you were in lane three and moved over to lane one in order to pass that is undertaking.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
why would under taking be more dangerous? Surely everybody checks their mirrors before changing lanes - whether its to the right or left?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back