Netherlands > Belgium > France (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Just been checking ferry prices for the Stenaline from Harwich to Hook of Holland, return economy tickets for 4 and the van came to £297 (no cabins), then thought I'd get a price through the CAMC website and for the same crossings they have quoted £165 return, now not that I'm complaining because I like a bargain but this seems too cheap?
Their website booking is rather vague and seems to give many different prices for what looks like the same crossing, am I missing something or should I just go for it?
I returned from Hook last summer when Boris hit us with the damned Amber+. It's been some years since I used this route and I was very impressed, makes Britanny Ferries look like Ryanair on a cheap day. I recommend you pay the extra for the executive lounge.
One thing to bear in mind is that wild camping is pretty difficult in the NL, especially in the well-populated parts (Most of it)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Just been checking ferry prices for the Stenaline from Harwich to Hook of Holland, return economy tickets for 4 and the van came to £297 (no cabins), then thought I'd get a price through the CAMC website and for the same crossings they have quoted £165 return, now not that I'm complaining because I like a bargain but this seems too cheap?
Their website booking is rather vague and seems to give many different prices for what looks like the same crossing, am I missing something or should I just go for it?
I've just checked the prices and they do seem cheap --- But I've just realised its over an 8 hours cruise.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
It says on their (CAMC) website that you get 10% off Economy fares with free upgrade to flexi so shouldn't be a problem if things change, but it still works out too cheap, I think I'll do as L'Hobo says and take a screenshot and order up.
Only snag is it arrives in Netherlands at 17.15 so I'd need a place to parkup for the night not too far from the ferry port, I've seen a few aire but I'd be worried that if I didn't book anything in advance there would be no room left:oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Only snag is it arrives in Netherlands at 17.15 so I'd need a place to parkup for the night not too far from the ferry port, I've seen a few aire but I'd be worried that if I didn't book anything in advance there would be no room left:oops:

Campercontact sitecode 84387 was ok for a night. It's just a large parking area but the road is quiet and there's a few others around so you are not alone.
Site 55941 is apparently good but in July it was full quite early.
Public car parks are policed and they won't let you stay the night
If you search slightly wider there's a lot of choices
My 2nd night was at site code 236, a pot plant company run by the de Groot family. €5 a night per person + something for EHU. It was fine but felt isolated and the sat nav sent me a silly way around to get there.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
My 2nd night was at site code 236, a pot plant company run by the de Groot family. €5 a night per person + something for EHU. It was fine but felt isolated and the sat nav sent me a silly way around to get there.
That's the sort of thing I'm looking for, I don't want a "bells and whistles" for a simple stop over, but I need to book as we are going in August, I'll check it out later, thanks!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If you get to Arnhem, try and spend a day at the Openair museum (openlucht). It's made up of complete houses, shops, factories etc. from all periods, furnished and with lot's of good signage as well as guides dressed the part etc.
I've been back 3 times.
What you wont see in Arnhem is the famous bridge too far, it was destroyed in the battle and they used the one at Nijmegein for the movie.
I second that, too much to take in one visit so will go back next time I’m there,

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I second that, too much to take in one visit so will go back next time I’m there,

If you get to Arnhem, try and spend a day at the Openair museum (openlucht). It's made up of complete houses, shops, factories etc. from all periods, furnished and with lot's of good signage as well as guides dressed the part etc.
I've been back 3 times.
What you wont see in Arnhem is the famous bridge too far, it was destroyed in the battle and they used the one at Nijmegein for the movie.
This place looks amazing, I'll add it to the list, thanks!

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Sounds like there's enthusiasm for Holland, maybe we should organise a rally?

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
If you like all things horticultural, I can also recommend Floriade, this is held every 10 years and luckily the next one is 2022.
Mrs Bucket is the green fingered one in our set-up so has just got excited when I told her it's back again.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
We stayed at a site by beach no more than 10mins from the boat with a restaurant on the beach clean and friendly will see if i can find the name and then we then went the lovely island of Texal for a weekends stockcar racing but enjoyed it so much we stopped a week .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back