Netherlands > Belgium > France (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,
Thinking of planning a small tour next year to visit Netherlands and Belgium, but I don't see much action on the forums for these locations. The initial plan was to go on the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland, travel around the Netherlands through to Belgium, then onto France and pick up the chunnel home.
Can anyone recommend anywhere to visit?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi All,
Thinking of planning a small tour next year to visit Netherlands and Belgium, but I don't see much action on the forums for these locations. The initial plan was to go on the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland, travel around the Netherlands through to Belgium, then onto France and pick up the chunnel home.
take a quick gander on this thread. Found a couple of interesting places. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/xmas-markets.250117/
Sas Van Gent is a good stopover (in the summer) and watch floodlands on channel 4od walter presents.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Strépy-Thieu Boat Lift if your passing and it's open, it's a very impressive lump of engineering. The town of Spa looks interesting (but I've not yet been there) and the Thermapolis pool and spa at Amnéville is great for an afternoon if you like lazy rivers and multiple sauna/ steam rooms, there is a camping carpark Aire just across the road.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Be prepared for some grumpy service. I travelled through France, Spain & Portugal - everyone was so nice. Crossed into Belgium for a weekend and a few of the people I relied on for service (bar staff, desk clerks etc) just seemed to quietly wish they were doing some other job. Actually quite rude in a couple of instances. I have heard others comment about this too. Don't say it is me! I never had attitudes towards me like this in other countries. Just Belgium and Holland. Maybe I was just unlucky, I don't know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Hi All,
Yes I can recommend giethoorn in the Netherlands , It’s like the venice of the north, Utrecht old town and of course Amsterdam , Maastricht in the south east and Valkenburg not far from that, Volendam en Veere also worth seeing, so is the Keukenhof flower display in spring, in Belgium , Antwerp, Gent and Bruges are a must see…..

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If military history interests you, there are the WW1 locations, Ypres, Thiepval. Peronne is just over the border back in France and has a good museum. Bastogne - museum about the Battle of the Bulge. Ghent is a picturesque and interesting city with the Van Eyck altarpiece.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Be careful with the environmental zones. You need to register for Antwerp. Ghent also has a environmental zone, not sure what process is there, and you aren't allowed to take motorhome into Brussels.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My son lived in the Netherlands for a while, go North. We’ve not been there ourselves, but he’s put it on our list of places to visit. (y)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Arnhem is tidy, plenty to see and do.
€1.50 for the bus anywhere in the city, or it was a couple of years ago anyway. Lots of cycling from the campsite too.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Be careful with the environmental zones. You need to register for Antwerp. Ghent also has a environmental zone, not sure what process is there, and you aren't allowed to take motorhome into Brussels.
The Green-Zones app is excellent. It has all the details and maps of the zones.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Off at The Hook and overnight at Delft Camping delft house at the back of Ikea ASCI discount and bimbling distance into town about E18 a night but pool etc and leccy Next stop Gouda ( aire E8 a night inc leccy water and waste available) Have a bimble round the town and drop down to Arnhem (aire) and the into Belgium, Brugge etc Ypres and Menin Road area and home all doable in a week

Jul 16, 2021
Andover, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T- 590
Exp
Since 2013

Great beach location, walk or cycle to Katwijk which has a superb fish restaurant and good shopping. If you have bikes the university town of Leiden is charming and close. Actually, you shouldn't go to Holland without bikes. This site has great facilities and the comfort pitches are a good size. 30 minutes drive from Hoek.

Jul 16, 2021
Andover, UK
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T- 590
Exp
Since 2013
Be prepared for some grumpy service. I travelled through France, Spain & Portugal - everyone was so nice. Crossed into Belgium for a weekend and a few of the people I relied on for service (bar staff, desk clerks etc) just seemed to quietly wish they were doing some other job. Actually quite rude in a couple of instances. I have heard others comment about this too. Don't say it is me! I never had attitudes towards me like this in other countries. Just Belgium and Holland. Maybe I was just unlucky, I don't know.
I now avoid Belgium as I have found only rudeness and shocking drivers. We aways end up having a row, usually in a restaurant.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it's certainly given us a start as where to do research, not going until next August but I feel a lot of research and planning will be needed as we've never toured anywhere in Europe yet. I love dragging the family around historically beautiful places and they love the food so everyone's a winner!
It's good to hear of good places to visit as well as the bad places to avoid!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Don't underestimate Belgium. You can easily spend two weeks touring all the sites. So much to see.
Start in Bruges and visit the tourist information.
Call in at Luxembourg on your way around, always the cheapest fuel.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
As previously mentioned, Bruges, Ghent, Ypres and ww1 sites are a wonderful interesting visit. Maastricht is nice and Bastogne for ww2 sites. Not been to NL in the van but there are some pretty places worth stopping including Delft and surrounding area. For France, there’s something for everyone.
My downside on Belgium was the roads seemed to be in a poor state compared to elsewhere and standard of driving was fast, overtake and slam on to turn off seemed to be the norm. But don’t let that put you off.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
As previously mentioned, Bruges, Ghent, Ypres and ww1 sites are a wonderful interesting visit. Maastricht is nice and Bastogne for ww2 sites. Not been to NL in the van but there are some pretty places worth stopping including Delft and surrounding area. For France, there’s something for everyone.
My downside on Belgium was the roads seemed to be in a poor state compared to elsewhere and standard of driving was fast, overtake and slam on to turn off seemed to be the norm. But don’t let that put you off.
Just as a bit of useless information. When I started driving abroad, Belgium was the only country that had motorway lights.
These were paid for, or so I was told, by the revenue they received from their assets in the Belgium Congo.

When we truckers left the Townsend Thorenson 'Freighter' on a frosty morning, the 'tram-lines' on the motorway between Zeebrugge and Brussels were filled with ice and it was like driving on a skating rink.
32ton up and afraid to touch ones throttle OR brakes!

Last edited:
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
This is a great little roadtrip book we followed some of the routes a few years ago and can be combined with their Great War version for a bigger round trip.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Have a look at this blog , Belgium , south Netherlands, over to the Rhine down to the Mosel and then into Luxembourg and back through Belgium.

OP
OP
Next Stop
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
Just been checking ferry prices for the Stenaline from Harwich to Hook of Holland, return economy tickets for 4 and the van came to £297 (no cabins), then thought I'd get a price through the CAMC website and for the same crossings they have quoted £165 return, now not that I'm complaining because I like a bargain but this seems too cheap?
Their website booking is rather vague and seems to give many different prices for what looks like the same crossing, am I missing something or should I just go for it?

Apr 18, 2021
Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 540
Exp
Since 2008
Just been checking ferry prices for the Stenaline from Harwich to Hook of Holland, return economy tickets for 4 and the van came to £297 (no cabins), then thought I'd get a price through the CAMC website and for the same crossings they have quoted £165 return, now not that I'm complaining because I like a bargain but this seems too cheap?
Their website booking is rather vague and seems to give many different prices for what looks like the same crossing, am I missing something or should I just go for it?
Earlier this year I looked at a crossing Hull - Rotterdam. CAMC were not that much cheaper than either P&O or AFerry website, but the clincher was that with the CAMC 'offer' I couldn't upgrade the booking to Flexible or Fully Flexible.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Arnhem is tidy, plenty to see and do.
€1.50 for the bus anywhere in the city, or it was a couple of years ago anyway. Lots of cycling from the campsite too.

If you get to Arnhem, try and spend a day at the Openair museum (openlucht). It's made up of complete houses, shops, factories etc. from all periods, furnished and with lot's of good signage as well as guides dressed the part etc.
I've been back 3 times.
What you wont see in Arnhem is the famous bridge too far, it was destroyed in the battle and they used the one at Nijmegein for the movie.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
If it comes out at that price for the crossing you want then go for it. Likely (except for covid) any changes would be chargeable but if you are sure of dates then no issues.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Take a screenshot and then go for it! Just make certain that the quote is EXACTLY the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back