Netflix identifying commercial VPN services (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
On this trip Netflix are stopping me when using a vpn service. I have a couple that I have used over the years and a bit of googling identified that Netflix are getting savvy and now identifying the ips of many commercial services. For example Nordvpn, blocked, and the rabbit one which I have already deleted now and cannot remember its name. So simples, use my home vpn which is on a static UK leased ip to me and that overcame the issue. Cannot think why I did not before!

Anyone running into this brick wall?

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
No longer need a VPN to use Netflix when roaming in EU or using local WiFi. Try without VPN. Hope this does not change after Brexit.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No longer need a VPN to use Netflix when roaming in EU or using local WiFi. Try without VPN. Hope this does not change after Brexit.
Sorry but not so for me, I ended up with VPN as the only way to see my next episode of Suits and Designated survivor for example, it would allow me to see plenty of stuff but not many of the UK only series. I think its copyright issues.
https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-beat-the-netflix-vpn-ban/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
No longer need a VPN to use Netflix when roaming in EU
For a limited number of days before it needs to go back to a uk address to verify you were "just visiting" the other eu country.

But you may find a lot of content on UK Netflix is also on EU Netflix. But even the French Netflix has different content to Spanish Netflix, due to rights issues.
But yes some content, particularly that from UK broadcasters will belimited to UK Netflix.

Hope this does not change after Brexit.
At the moment, the UK will lose this as part of Brexit, just like the mobile phone EU roaming...

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Strange! We have been watching Designated Survivor in Spain last week without a VPN. Yes - Netflix do have some Performing Rights Issues and make some programmes country specific. I suspect the difference is that I was connecting whilst roaming using my UK Vodafone data SIM, so Netflix think I am in the UK. I presume you are using a local (non-UK) WiFi connection, so that Netflix know which country you are connecting from and modify the available offerings accordingly, unless you go via a VPN to fool them into thinking you are in the UK. Later today I will see if I can use a local WiFi network to connect to Netflix to see if I can still watch Designated Survivor.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Stranger and stranger!! Just used local WiFi in Bar in Spain. No VPN used in connection. Logged onto Netflix as usual. No problem either viewing "live" or downloading Designated Survivor. Don't think this helps you @sallylillian.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Stranger and stranger!! Just used local WiFi in Bar in Spain. No VPN used in connection. Logged onto Netflix as usual. No problem either viewing "live" or downloading Designated Survivor. Don't think this helps you @sallylillian.
Thanks, based on the reports that different countries have different rights, as per the link I posted, I wonder if its because I am in Croatia and you are in Spain. But thanks for taking the time.

May 21, 2016
Algarve & North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
For a limited number of days before it needs to go back to a uk address to verify you were "just visiting" the other eu country.

But you may find a lot of content on UK Netflix is also on EU Netflix. But even the French Netflix has different content to Spanish Netflix, due to rights issues.
But yes some content, particularly that from UK broadcasters will belimited to UK Netflix.

At the moment, the UK will lose this as part of Brexit, just like the mobile phone EU roaming...

So your crystal ball can tell you what the outcome of all the Brexit negotiations will be? If there ever is a Brexit?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
So your crystal ball can tell you what the outcome of all the Brexit negotiations will be? If there ever is a Brexit?
Like i said, "At the moment"... as so far from what I have read online from a few sources, including from one UK mobile operator, the EU phone roaming, and UK EU internet based things are not yet included in any brexit deal... and they may not be... and so will just be up to the individual companies if they wish to continue or not

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I cannot remember where I read it but a few months ago I read that Vodafone had no intentions of removing roaming after Brexit and I remember commenting that I’d they did it would be commercial suicide as people would go to other networks. The only way it would be feasible for U.K. mobile customers to loose roaming would be for all networks to agree to re introduce roaming charges or collectively increase all their packages to charge for roaming. Given that Vodafone is the largest player in the U.K. and EU market I doubt there will be changes that effectively cause us to pay more. It is after all a very competitive market

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I first used 3 free roaming in 2012. Being able to roam around Europe helps those who live and work near or cross borders regularly along with motorhomers. Why everyone else has to pay for a trans EU service when 99% of calls are in the UK is nonsense.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As the regulations are contained within a European regulation and not a directive, they have not been incorporated into UK law

But they will be presumably.

EU Withdrawal Bill: A guide to the Brexit repeal legislation
  • 13 November 2017