Nespresso not working on Inverter (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Strange problem, we had an inverter fitted to van by dealer, when we picked it up on first weekend out we tested it and all worked OK (hairdryer, charging bluetooth speaker etc) and the coffee machine (2 days running) however on our trip last weekend everything worked except the coffee machine. So thought maybe its the machine, tested at home and on EHU in the van and all fine, I then tried the home coffee machine and it would not work on inverter.

Called dealer today and went thru same tests and they are flummoxed, it is going in on Thursday for other minor issues but was trying to get it working for the weekend coming.
so wondering if anyone else had similar issues? It is s Sunshine Solar 2000 w inverter (4000w startup) 2*95 ah batteries (fully charged), coffee machine is 1150-1260w so well within limits.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is the red alarm light on the inverter flashing at all?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As the batteries are 95 a/h aand a Hymer group van at a guess I assume they are AGM, if so and over 12 months old they have probably had it.
Also a coffee machine taking 1260 watts is far to higher load for 2 batteries if want them to last.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Strange problem, we had an inverter fitted to van by dealer, when we picked it up on first weekend out we tested it and all worked OK (hairdryer, charging bluetooth speaker etc) and the coffee machine (2 days running) however on our trip last weekend everything worked except the coffee machine. So thought maybe its the machine, tested at home and on EHU in the van and all fine, I then tried the home coffee machine and it would not work on inverter.

Called dealer today and went thru same tests and they are flummoxed, it is going in on Thursday for other minor issues but was trying to get it working for the weekend coming.
so wondering if anyone else had similar issues? It is s Sunshine Solar 2000 w inverter (4000w startup) 2*95 ah batteries (fully charged), coffee machine is 1150-1260w so well within limits.
Have you tried the coffee machine on another socket in the camper? And if it is dealer fitted presumably you have a RDC on the output of the inverter in series with your mains sockets, check that that is OK and testing correctly

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So coffee machine works at home, doesn't work on inverter, and other appliances work on the same socket, on the inverter

Its the Inverter then

Not all inverters are created equally

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
As the batteries are 95 a/h aand a Hymer group van at a guess I assume they are AGM, if so and over 12 months old they have probably had it.
Also a coffee machine taking 1260 watts is far to higher load for 2 batteries if want them to last.
Van was new in April but it was in the dealers since last August. Agree about the batteries lasting however using a coffee machine 40 times a year should be OK I think but no more room to fit more so when they do give up the ghost will look at alternative. I think they are AGM, its a Dethleffs.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
So coffee machine works at home, doesn't work on inverter, and other appliances work on the same socket, on the inverter

Its the Inverter then

Not all inverters are created equally
Thats my thinking though not sure what could have gone wrong and funny it powers everything else?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thats my thinking though not sure what could have gone wrong and funny it powers everything else?
Nespresso machine does like a clean supply I think, in the instructions for our Nespresso machine it specifically said "not for use in caravans and mobile homes"

Martin

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Have you tried the coffee machine on another socket in the camper? And if it is dealer fitted presumably you have a RDC on the output of the inverter in series with your mains sockets, check that that is OK and testing correctly
The inverter is wired to the 240v fuse box (there is a switch to use either inventor or EHU to the normal sockets) so the sockets work OK on EHU and same sockets work on inverter except for the coffee machine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The inverter is wired to the 240v fuse box (there is a switch to use either inventor or EHU to the normal sockets) so the sockets work OK on EHU and same sockets work on inverter except for the coffee machine.
So there is no protection to the sockets when using the inverter?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
yes the RCD on the fuse box, the inverter powers the fuse box.
So the inverter runs the fridge, the mains charger, which in turn tries to make up what the inverter is taking out to power the mains charger, which is perpetual motion (and impossible) plus anything else on the board heater, water heater etc

The inverter should always be AFTER the distribution (fuse box) and have its own RCD protection and only supply the 13 amp sockets

Poor installation (if as described) may be your problem

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
So the inverter runs the fridge, the mains charger, which in turn tries to make up what the inverter is taking out to power the mains charger, which is perpetual motion (and impossible) plus anything else on the board heater, water heater etc

The inverter should always be AFTER the distribution (fuse box) and have its own RCD protection and only supply the 13 amp sockets

Probably my explanation as it only powers the sockets I think not charger etc. I am probably assuming it powers the fuse box but it deffo powers the sockets but that aside does not answer why the coffee machine does not work where it once did. I will check later though if it tries to power the fridge when I turn it on.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I am not a graphic designer LOL
But this is the way that an after market inverter should be installed
inverter simple diagram.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

A lot of the so called professionals fit them that way then tell the customer to swtich of the charger and put the fridge on gas.
They did my mates Carthago like that, I told him to take it back it's not acceptable but no he said he was happy with it like that. I'll have the last laugh when he forgets and leaves the fridge & charger on.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
A lot of the so called professionals fit them that way then tell the customer to swtich of the charger and put the fridge on gas.
They did my mates Carthago like that, I told him to take it back it's not acceptable but no he said he was happy with it like that. I'll have the last laugh when he forgets and leaves the fridge & charger on.
Never said to turn charger off (dont know how to) nor to turn fridge on gas. will check later.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Update, I can't really see a RCD or all the wiring as it goes behind a panel but it looks like the output from the inverter goes to the switch to go between EHU & Inverter and there is a cable from and to the fuse box. However I took off EHU and fridge turned to gas, turned on the inverter and fridge stayed on gas so it is not powering the fridge, just looks like sockets as I thought.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
If you espresso machine moderates the temperature via a silicon controlled rectifier SCR the inverter won't like it. SCR controllers limit the current flow by switching on part way through the 50hz cycle (they switch off everytime the cycle reverses, automatically). The result is a current surge from effectively nil to max in an instant! The inverter proably is comlaining about the current spike and giving up.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
If you espresso machine moderates the temperature via a silicon controlled rectifier SCR the inverter won't like it. SCR controllers limit the current flow by switching on part way through the 50hz cycle (they switch off everytime the cycle reverses, automatically). The result is a current surge from effectively nil to max in an instant! The inverter proably is comlaining about the current spike and giving up.
I don't know if it uses a SCR or not (its a genuine Nespresso) but it did work but does not now. I do seem to remember a fan starting initially but it does not now so my feeling is the fan is not cutting in to cool the inverter so it will not supply enough power so inverter problem. Will see what the dealer says on Thursday...

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Ive a nespresso machine and I use in a lot in the MH using my inverter and never had a problem.

OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Ive a nespresso machine and I use in a lot in the MH using my inverter and never had a problem.
Nor did we first weekend out which is making me think there is a problem with the inverter.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I don't know if it uses a SCR or not (its a genuine Nespresso) but it did work but does not now. I do seem to remember a fan starting initially but it does not now so my feeling is the fan is not cutting in to cool the inverter so it will not supply enough power so inverter problem. Will see what the dealer says on Thursday...
The fans on ours are thermostatically controlled, if yours is the same they're not coming on because it's cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back