NC 500 A residents observations. (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Well written and thoughtful piece. I live in an area suffering something similar although nowhere near on the scale of the NC500 and it is not pleasant, especially when any comment is interpreted as "nimbyism" rather than genuine concern for the loss of amenity and protection of fragile environments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I sincerely hope and believe not. I would also expect that those responsible for the damage, human waste, litter etc. are not motorhomers at all - the article mentions campers/tents and of course those are the folk who do not have their own onboard facilities. Unfortunately, although this author doesn't do it, it's all too easy for writers, i.e. the less-informed media, to lump motorhomes/campervans in with everybody else and the fact that we are usually highly visible makes us an easier target. The advent of several wild-camping apps, none of which are at all official, just makes things so much easier for the miscreants and exacerbates the situation.

I have every sympathy for the residents and on our visit to Scotland in a couple of weeks time will do all I can to make sure we are not part of their problem. Yes, the NC500 is guilty of it's own success but I was surprised to learn that it is now a private company rather than a government agency/spinoff so we're back to the old "we're in this for profit" regime. Don't expect much in the way of infrastructure from them whatever they state as their philosophy!

The solution? I'm not going to be popular for this but in my view the law relating to the freedom to wild camp should be repealed and far stricter regulations be introduced and enforced. At the same time take down the "freeloader" apps (you know those I mean) and force genuine visitors to do proper research. A few high-profile court cases would soon make those who are really guilty think again about sullying (or even visiting!) this beautiful part of the UK. If Scots want the benefits of tourism then they must provide the infrastructure that is so obviously needed - if necessary force the "investors" to pay for it or take it back off them. Yes, in the short term it's going to cause havoc but in the longer term would make tourism a much more stable and welcoming "industry".

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I sincerely hope and believe not. I would also expect that those responsible for the damage, human waste, litter etc. are not motorhomers at all - the article mentions campers/tents and of course those are the folk who do not have their own onboard facilities. Unfortunately, although this author doesn't do it, it's all too easy for writers, i.e. the less-informed media, to lump motorhomes/campervans in with everybody else and the fact that we are usually highly visible makes us an easier target. The advent of several wild-camping apps, none of which are at all official, just makes things so much easier for the miscreants and exacerbates the situation.

I have every sympathy for the residents and on our visit to Scotland in a couple of weeks time will do all I can to make sure we are not part of their problem. Yes, the NC500 is guilty of it's own success but I was surprised to learn that it is now a private company rather than a government agency/spinoff so we're back to the old "we're in this for profit" regime. Don't expect much in the way of infrastructure from them whatever they state as their philosophy!

The solution? I'm not going to be popular for this but in my view the law relating to the freedom to wild camp should be repealed and far stricter regulations be introduced and enforced. At the same time take down the "freeloader" apps (you know those I mean) and force genuine visitors to do proper research. A few high-profile court cases would soon make those who are really guilty think again about sullying (or even visiting!) this beautiful part of the UK. If Scots want the benefits of tourism then they must provide the infrastructure that is so obviously needed - if necessary force the "investors" to pay for it or take it back off them. Yes, in the short term it's going to cause havoc but in the longer term would make tourism a much more stable and welcoming "industry".

Terry

As you say often MHs are blamed because they are visible, whereas a tent in the boot of a car is not, but equally the abscence of a toilet is also not visible.

Taking down 'Apps' would not be appropriate because most of them also contain many overnight parking areas which are authorised/permitted, such as campsites, aires and even CPs where councils permit o/night parking/sleeping.

Geoff

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes a good read, but sadly we could all easily guess what it was about from the title she gave.
Yes there does need to be more public toilets, especially near beaches, and along the NC500 route in general.
However, I did mention before on similar threads, that its not just The Highlands & other beautiful remote places around The UK that has a litter problem, its anywhere where people go these days.
Unfortunately the higher the numbers the bigger the problem, and its mainly the "Tenters" that are the worst, as they have no toilet facilities, using sand dunes as loos, without making an attempt to disguise the fact, and have bonfires burning anything they can find leaving a charred mess in their wake.
I have even seen abandoned tents, obviously broken, but just left for someone else to clear away, like many do at concert venues, especially the Reading one, where its become customary to set fire to them as they leave. Single use tents is a common term I believe.

I, along with many I know on here, have cleared litter left by others at wild spots, car parks, even in remote lay byes, but more often than not there is either no refuse bins available, or even worse they are overflowing through lack of maintenance.
Having said that, have any of you been to Italy, and seen the mess there?:eek:
It would seem the the general population needs more rules, more enforcement, but these come at a cost, so we may will end up with no free to visit spots, more height barriers at CP's especially as the population continues to increase, and everyone will want to escape the cities for some peace & quiet.
There were rumours that Scotland were thinking about introducing a "Tourist Tax" this may well happen, as it would help pay for more public facilities that are currently a burden on the local councils, be interesting to see if that idea unfolds further.

Hopefully Europe & The World will open up even more next year, when we & the politicians get used to, and accept the fact that Covid will be with us for many years yet, so we need clearer advice, easier Travel Docs/administration, and do all we can to be cautious & sensible in all our actions, touring leaving no trace, being one of them.
Well that's my take on things as the stand.
LES

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We can all say it isn’t motorhome owners, however when we did it a few weeks back we found a cassette dumped in bushes in a lay-by. That isn’t people in tents.

I have said it before, the problem isn’t tents, motorhomes or caravans, it’s idiots having no respect for anything or anyone.

We wild camped by Loch Awe and someone had been in a massive tent by the shore before we got there, we know it was massive as the grass was all down in the shape of the thing. The massive fire pit they had dug consisted of meat, cables, batteries, tins, bottles, chairs, barbecues. We could have cried it was in such a state. 5 bin bags of crap later and it looked much better, the poor chap from the fisheries who came round to collect the permit money if you fish, gasped when he saw them at the nearby bin. Thankfully we never found where they had been using the toilet.

Again, the problem wasn’t tents, it’s people and their lack of thought and respect.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

No not popular.
Having just been to Scotland 10 days freeloading as you call it the right to roam and camp freely is an important freedom not to be taken away. The problem most definitely is tentsand cars. We saw numerous large groups. Also these new roof boxes that pop up. Again no facilities
Don’t really understand why every time this comes up it’s ban everyone they must all use campsites rubbish.
Deal with the problem and it’s not really Motorhome’s leaving a mess. We never left one overnight where other Motorhome’s were staying and seen a mess. But long term if they ban us then Europe it is

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes there does need to be more public toilets, especially near beaches, and along the NC500 route in general.
The worst of it is the beach she is talking about does have toilet facilities, albeit at one end of it, however I think there maybe further facilities at the Castletown end. I believe the public toilets, which are located in the same building as the C&MC site office, used to be cleaned by their wardens.
I think there's also toilets across the road in Dunnet Forest midway along the beach but not sure if they're still in operation.
There was a protest, which was successful, about 10 years ago for the Council to save £100k on two new statues in the forest and spend it on a new toilet block but whether that resulted I don't know.
There was a Funster who overnighted recently in the car park and would maybe know?

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
The solution? I'm not going to be popular for this but in my view the law relating to the freedom to wild camp should be repealed
The Land Reform Act doesn't need repelling, all that's needed is for folk to actually understand what it means and covers with regards wild camping.
A snippet of the pertinent part:
The Land Reform (Scotland) Act states:
Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply
It doesn't not, and has never applied to motorhomes, campervans or any motorised vehicle

The basics:

We live in a small fishing village on one of the newly named tourist routes, the SW300. Whilst we haven't been impacted as badly as those living on the NC500, this year has been an eye opener for us, and quite unpleasant.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The Land Reform Act doesn't need repelling, all that's needed is for folk to actually understand what it means and covers with regards wild camping.
A snippet of the pertinent part:
The Land Reform (Scotland) Act states:
Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply
It doesn't not, and has never applied to motorhomes, campervans or any motorised vehicle

The basics:

We live in a small fishing village on one of the newly named tourist routes, the SW300. Whilst we haven't been impacted as badly as those living on the NC500, this year has been an eye opener for us, and quite unpleasant.
Giving a road a tourist name and set route I feel was a disaster waiting to happen these routes have been there forever and have been used and enjoyed by many that do not plan or make up their own holiday.
Now they have just become a box ticking exercise, a must do, Love Scotland always have didn't need someone - Charlie to tell me which way to go.
It is becoming like Disney in the 80's it had to be done I live in hope that the novelty like Disney will wear off
1629560942132.png

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Maybe Scotland is now feeling what those who live around the South Downs, New Forest, Brecon Beacons and Exmoor and Dartmoor and South Coast beaches have been experiencing for perhaps 20+ years although it does seem that the pandemic has made it worse everywhere. Unfortunately the NC500 seems to have recently become more common as a 'bucket list' activity (for those too old for bungee-jumping off the Forth Bridge maybe?).

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
After independence the southern tourists will need visas to cross the border.

This may ease the problems... :rofl:

Anyway...

None of these litter and poo bugs are Funsters are they?

JJ :cool:
And equally we can charge anyone wanting to cross from Scotland as well win win all round Im gonna open a rubber dinghy shop on the Scotland side near Grentna win win be able to afford that new A Class in no time .

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
And equally we can charge anyone wanting to cross from Scotland as well win win all round Im gonna open a rubber dinghy shop on the Scotland side near Grentna win win be able to afford that new A Class in no time .
Ever thought of opening a wedding venue ?? or has it been done? could never understand why people want to have their nuptials in the middle of a bus station...
1629562050484.png

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
At risk of changing the venue, our recent and ongoing, travels in the north of Spain have given us chance to observe parked vehicles. The worst culprits (amongst vanners) are people in campervans without loos. (We had a tiny portapotty in a VW Reimo conversion, so there's no excuse). But we saw many heading off with a toilet roll in their hand. We do have a photo of a dumped loo (motorhome, that one), and in winter long stay wildcamping spots, it's always expected!

But most other culprits are at parking places for cars. You can guarantee to see poo and paper near any such place.

I expect this situation is the same in Scotland and anywhere else tourists are persuaded to visit.

Motorhomes, by their visibility, will always take the stick!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Whilst overnighting next to a beautiful Loch on a large pull off at the side of the road.
We were parked by two Land Rovers with those tents on the roof.
With “expedition” on the sides also.

In the morning the occupants trotted off around the corner at the Loch side with their toilet rolls.

I was less than impressed, especially as this was some sort of organised trip.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Psssstt

Aldi sell portaloos for £37

Folk with tents and small vans buy them
Use them , fill them up then not knowing where to empty them dump them in bushes .

The misconception that only MH have cassette toilets is as bad as the other generalisations.

There are messy dirty scumbags in all walks of life every where has these problems not just the tourist hotspots ...go to any fast food joint carpark and despite a dozen bins you will see rubbish dumped.

Banning fast food wouldn't fix it and neither would banning off site parking.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Na what you want is containers full of see you jimmy hats. If the English wear them crossing into the Scottish border. The ANPR cameras will detect them as Scottish nationals and let you pass with out penalties 🥴🥃🤪🌎🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
not there is either no refuse bins available, or even worse they are overflowing through lack of maintenance.
Why should there be? Packaging and other materials arrive in a vehicle. The same vehicle can take them away. Emptying litter bins is a substantial burden for a LA: taking rubbish to the nearest place to dispose of it correctly isn't difficult.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
As I rode around all over the Highlands on my motorbike I often stop in a lay-by. Mainly for a look and sometimes a pee. The amount a human shit with a piece of toilet paper on top is bad. This is not motorhome activity.
Although the tied up bags of rubbish is probably motorhomers.
I live on the A9 on the NC500 and as I work all over I see all sorts of rubbish dumped especially KFC, McDonald's etc usually miles from anywhere, thats car drivers, not motorhomers either.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Why should there be? Packaging and other materials arrive in a vehicle. The same vehicle can take them away. Emptying litter bins is a substantial burden for a LA: taking rubbish to the nearest place to dispose of it correctly isn't difficult.
It isnt and it wouldn't stop the problem completely anyway ....ive watched people throw rubbish out a window 10 yards from a bin . Keep Scotland tidy signs and take rubbish home have been around for decades and still it gets dumped.

The only way to stop it is to execute all Humans

Until then the world will always have assholes

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And yes firepits are a mess, I cannot understand why people need a fire to enjoy a beautiful beach?
Its very easybto have a fire and leave no trace ...i do it all the time . I also cook on it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back