National Trust Parking larger vehicles (2 Viewers)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Attingham Hall & Gardens, Atcham, nr Shrewsbury.

Good parking, overflow park is grass but the main parks are gravel.

The main entrance is normal hgv width so larger RV's enter with care, after that all good.

Popped into Attingham today and found that all parking is now hard standing, and has been extended. One way flow in and out. Exit gate as entry gate.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Belton House, ear Grantham. Good access and parking, although it is grass so can be bit of a quagmire when wet. Not usually a problem though. Has good children's adventure playground for those of you endowed with grandchildren. Would make decent lunch stop if travelling A1 as only a couple of miles.

Now added to the map - thank you

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Popped into Attingham today and found that all parking is now hard standing, and has been extended. One way flow in and out. Exit gate as entry gate.

Your additional note added to the pin - thanks for this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Newton House in Dinefwr Park at Llandeilo Carmarthenshire loads of room but can get busy at usual times; they sometimes open an overflow car park. The gates to the park never close. There is a large alternative car/coach park by the allotments off the old A40 road past Dynefwr Gardens campsite - this has free parking but entails a 20-25 minute walk to the house which cannot be entered without a valid parking ticket. The house is never empty.......... Toby

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Newton House in Dinefwr Park at Llandeilo Carmarthenshire loads of room but can get busy at usual times; they sometimes open an overflow car park. The gates to the park never close. There is a large alternative car/coach park by the allotments off the old A40 road past Dynefwr Gardens campsite - this has free parking but entails a 20-25 minute walk to the house which cannot be entered without a valid parking ticket. The house is never empty.......... Toby

Thank you - a yellow pin added along with your comments.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Would be great to have a few more in bonny ~Scotland (before they leave the EU and we need a passport to get there)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
:love::love: Penrhyn Castle now moved to its correct place in Bangor and not in Pembrokeshire.

Updated note re Stockpile Quay, Broadhaven and Marloes car parks thanks to additional input.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got a belated reply from National Trust asking them if they would like to help with this map project - a polite but not very useful response...

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your email, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Thank you very much for your enquiry. As parking arrangements are decided locally and may change throughout the year, we don't hold a central list of properties that can allow motorhome parking. I've included a link to our website, as you can search for properties by region or county: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk. Where entry to a property may be difficult, we normally advise this at a prominent place on the property page on our website. However, I'd recommend contacting our places before leaving to ensure that the property is accessible for larger vehicles. Contact details for each property can be found on the 'Overview' tab of the property page.

I do hope this helps. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of the National Trust.

Best wishes,

Daniel Fowler

Member Services Assistant
National Trust, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA
01793 817571

So, if more of you would like to add to this thread and the 60 some we have identified already with some additional sites - (particularly in Scotland as still virtually no entries) - then just drop me a note and I will add a pin.

Chris

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Got a belated reply from National Trust asking them if they would like to help with this map project - a polite but not very useful response...

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your email, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Thank you very much for your enquiry. As parking arrangements are decided locally and may change throughout the year, we don't hold a central list of properties that can allow motorhome parking. I've included a link to our website, as you can search for properties by region or county: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk. Where entry to a property may be difficult, we normally advise this at a prominent place on the property page on our website. However, I'd recommend contacting our places before leaving to ensure that the property is accessible for larger vehicles. Contact details for each property can be found on the 'Overview' tab of the property page.

I do hope this helps. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of the National Trust.

Best wishes,

Daniel Fowler

Member Services Assistant
National Trust, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon, SN2 2NA
01793 817571

So, if more of you would like to add to this thread and the 60 some we have identified already with some additional sites - (particularly in Scotland as still virtually no entries) - then just drop me a note and I will add a pin.

Chris
Not a lot different from the reply I received nearly 2 and a half years ago:
You make a useful point and it would be useful for places to indicate whether motorhomes can access their car park. We don’t currently collect this specific information centrally, but we are hoping to improve our search facility on the website over the coming year to include car park information among other things, and will need to look at a range of filters that visitors may wish to search on. In the meantime, each of our places has a facilities and access page on the website, where they can add car park information themselves, and we will encourage them to add motorhome information if they have it.
I don't know what form of encouragement they gave to their local managers but the vast majority of them did nothing.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Added a new marker for the car park at Lindisfarne - although you have to pay for the car park it is plenty big and you can walk down to the castle (blue badge holders can get closer).

Please check out my National Trust parking page and now that spring is here, let's have some more pins for the map (especially for Scotland)!

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I notice that someone has already mentioned the easy motorhome parking at Stourhead. When we were there a couple of days ago there were several vans parked up on the hardstanding adjacent to the Caravan Club CL.

It seems that a bit of wildcamping for non CC members is tolerated.

Several motorhomes parked up in the overflow car park, very pleasant spot.

Stourhead.jpg

Paul

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can tell about the ones nearest to my home.
Compton Castle--- between Newton Abbott and Paignton, only access is by narrow lanes. I have seen a motorhome go down the lanes -- very brave or very mad--- there is a parking space opposite the castle entrance but I couldn't recommend this for anything bigger than a van conversion, small motorhome.
Greenway-- Agatha Christie's house. Accessed by lanes between Paignton and Brixham. You have to book parking online and it is a tight, uphill turn into the car park. It's tight for a car! If you phoned ahead they might provide a parking space in staff car park or where the bus parks up.
Coleton Fishacre. Between Brixham and Dartmouth. Some narrow lanes but not too horrific. I have seen coaches and a motorhome (6.5-7 m) access the car park.
I'll look at your map to see if any of the Somerset ones I've visited recently are on there.

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Part selfish and part I hope useful to others...

We like to stop off at NT properties during the day. Breaks the travel, have a walk, cup of tea, soup etc and pretty good value for money if you are a member as parking is free. However, at 3o feet, not every NT site is suitable for 'popping in' (or out for that matter) and I have had a couple of very bad experiences including a burnt out clutch trying to extricate myself from one.

So, I have created a map page on my website here and started to put on it some of the ones we have visited. Have a look and you will get the idea. I will continue to add to this myself over time and hopefully try out the ones you guys suggest (which is the selfish bit)

So, if you would like me to add markers to this map just pop detail into this thread and I will add (and attribute) them to the map. Primarily I am looking for ones for larger i.e. over 8m vehicles but am happy to create a pin set for smaller vehicles and label them up as such if you let me have them.

You never know, we might get a bit of help from the NT themselves!

Chris

As wannabe Motor Homers, and keen National Trust members, your map will prove invaluable, particularly in the early days while I am trying to get used to the brute lol A very worthwhile project, so you have our genuine gratitude.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Packwood House and Baddsley Clinton Warwickshire both have good parking for larger moho. Visited both recently, apologies if already mentioned in thread as I've not had time to read all pages (y)

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Packwood House and Baddsley Clinton Warwickshire both have good parking for larger moho. Visited both recently, apologies if already mentioned in thread as I've not had time to read all pages (y)
Thanks - Baddesley Clinton already in but Packwood House is a new one and now added to the map with a nice yellow marker!

Let's have some more.....

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi.
Excellent idea this compilation, well done.
Our MoHo is just over 8 meters with the towball bike rack fitted.(which it always is).
Mine are:
1. Little Moreton Hall, Nr Congleton, Cheshire on the A34. Plenty of MoHo parking in coach area. Easy entry and exit.

2 Biddulph Gardens, Nr Congleton/Stoke on Trent.
Tight for MoHo's larger than 7 metres.
We arrived on a busy day and could park in the single coach bay only, no other space large enough to allow other vehicles to pass.

3. Powys Castle, Welshpool, Powys. Plenty of 7 metre+ MoHo parking. Easy access to carpark, tight turn into single lane on leaving though.

4. Kingston Lacey House, Dorset. No problems at all.

5. White Mill, Wimborne, Dorset. Car park is OK but the access from Sturminster Marshal has tight corners for larger vehicles and the Mill bridge has a 6'6" width limit. We got over OK in our Auto-Trail Delaware.
(walked it first)
6 and last. Bradbury Rings, Dorset. No problems at all.

Regards
Nik

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Probably depends on the time of year as well. Off season there is far more available slots. If you check out my blog there are lots of NT and English Heritage places I have visited in my Rv (over 30ft with mobility scooter rack), But some of the entrance gates can be a bit tight. Went to Lulworth Castle before Christmas (not NT) and just could not get out the exit gate. Had to reverse up and go wrong way down one way system and out through the in gate.

I sympathize, several of us had to do similar after the Caravan Club National at Blenheim (in the mud!). I went down and nearly took a mirror off on the exit!. So we had a "convoy" of R-Vs going the "wrong way".

Pete

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Having just visited Northumberland, delighted to see that Cragside by Rothbury has a dedicated parking area for motor homes next to the Formal Garden. Bays with differing lengths and different amounts of overhang should cater for most motorhomes. (y)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I have made a booking at Petworth House for sixteen motorhomes to park up for the day. They are aware that we are between 6.00 and 9.00 metres in length. I was told that there are some coach bays which we could use if all the other spaces are full, so I guess there is space for RVs. Contact before the visit would be advisable, I guess.

J

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I just went to give Maz a like cos this is really useful to know being as it's a place I have always fancied going and Pete will be interested in the electricity workings LOL - and if we get as far N as Cragside we are pretty sure to be in the van! - and discovered that I wasn't Logged in LOL

Since I can't like every post - too much! - I hereby issue a Like, a Useful, an Informative and a Thanks to everyone who has contributed !!

Reactions: maz

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
You'd be fine at Box Hill, but its usually full up (and poorly parked).

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Today we have been to visit Basildon Park in Berkshire. Lovely house and a few hundred acres to explore. Friendly ladies in reception advised us to park in the coach parking area.

No problem with roads getting to the property and a shortish stretch of narrow road from the exit.

Basildon Park.jpg

Paul

alanawayfromhome

Free Member
Oct 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Congratulations for your work in providing a very useful resource, however, could you explain what you mean by skirt wearing ginger nuts?

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
There is some useful information in this thread, so I thought we would add to it.

We had a disappointing day today in Bedfordshire trying to visit National Trust sites. We found that the Carparks at these sites had barriers set at 2m (6ft 6in) so we could not get in:
Sharpenhoe
Moleskin and Markham Hills

However we have visited Hatfield Forest which caters well for motor homes

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have recently been to Hidcote Manor in Gloucestershire. Fabulous gardens. They have coach parties visiting and access is good.
You have Chedworth Villa as a no no, I would agree for larger vehicles but we had no problems in our 6.3 PCV.
Tyntesfield in North Somerset has good access and parking.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Having spent the last three weeks,June, in Scotland we visited a few of the NT for Scotland sites(y).None of them (except Culloden battlefield IV2 5EU Threave DG7 1RX and Inverewe IV22 2LG)had what I would call dedicated motorhome parking bays but we managed OK with our 7.8m tag axle at...................Might get busier July / August and space limited.
Culzean castle, Maybole
Brodie castle, Forres
Drum castle, Banchory
Fyvie castle,Turriff
Castle Fraser, Inverurie
Crathes castle Banchory
Leith Hall, Huntley

At all the NT properties that we visit we always tell them they are missing a trick by not allowing members to stay overnight in their carparks!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Newark Park near Wotton-under-Edge has a big grass car park accessible via a narrow-ish gate with cattle grid. That is the easy bit. Getting there from the A4135 is via nearly 2 miles of narrow single track country lanes with tight turns and small passing places. :eek:

We did see a 7.5 tonne delivery truck, and a couple of PVCs in the car park, but based on our research we didn't fancy driving there in our PVC and went by car instead.

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
That reminds me; Devil's Dyke in East Sussex has large Carparks big enough for large Mohos. The road to it is a bit long and narrow but perfectly passable with care

Shaw's Corner in Hertfordshire has a very small car park. You might get a Moho in if it is not busy, but I think I would avoid it ( worth a visit by car though!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back