National Trust Parking larger vehicles (1 Viewer)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Stourhead. Wiltshire. and Kingston Lacey Estate, Wimborne Minster. Dorset. Both also have CL sites in grounds.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
On our travels in the van we quite often visit National Trust properties. For members it means free parking and somewhere interesting to look round, usually the all important restaurant too.

I can recommend:

Wimpole Hall in Cambridgeshire. Been here in the van several times, they let you use the coach parking area.

Wimpole.JPG

Felbrigg Hall, Norfolk.

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk, park in the coach parking area.

Oxburgh.JPG

Anglessey Abbey, Cambridgeshire. Not actually been here in the van but there is a large coach parking area just by the car park entrance.

Killerton, Devon. Lovely house and gardens. Park in coach park.

Killerton.JPG

Castle Drogo, Devon. The last castle built in England. Easy motorhome parking, not so easy lanes leading to it.

There are a couple of places where we have had problems though:

Saltram, near Plymouth Devon. They are happy for motorhomes to use the coach parking but there seems to be only one space.

A La Ronde, Devon. Interesting house and they help you to park but the narrow lane leading to the house is a nightmare.

Paul

PS Edited to add some photos of motorhomes in car parks, fascinating stuff. Also Buckfast Abbey (not NT) in Devon is great for motorhomes. Park in coach park and have a look round the Abbey and grounds, all free. Nice restaurant too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have stayed at the National Trust kingston Lacey camp site in Dorset. It has 5 pitches and it's an easy walk to house and gardens through the grounds.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Part selfish and part I hope useful to others...

We like to stop off at NT properties during the day. Breaks the travel, have a walk, cup of tea, soup etc and pretty good value for money if you are a member as parking is free. However, at 3o feet, not every NT site is suitable for 'popping in' (or out for that matter) and I have had a couple of very bad experiences including a burnt out clutch trying to extricate myself from one.

So, I have created a map page on my website here and started to put on it some of the ones we have visited. Have a look and you will get the idea. I will continue to add to this myself over time and hopefully try out the ones you guys suggest (which is the selfish bit)

So, if you would like me to add markers to this map just pop detail into this thread and I will add (and attribute) them to the map. Primarily I am looking for ones for larger i.e. over 8m vehicles but am happy to create a pin set for smaller vehicles and label them up as such if you let me have them.

You never know, we might get a bit of help from the NT themselves!

Chris

Just had a look at the map, looking really good. Will come in very useful on our travels.

Paul

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Just a reminder that the entries should be accessible for larger vehicles. Thanks for all the contributions so far.

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Formby Point, Merseyside has a massive car park. Just watch the pot holes.
Avoid on sunny days weekends and school holidays because it's packed. Although if you got there early you could park up easily.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Just a note to say I found the entrance and exit roads to Flatford Mill quite narrow with overhanging trees as well. But Thebus is quite wide and high.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
On our travels in the van we quite often visit National Trust properties. For members it means free parking and somewhere interesting to look round, usually the all important restaurant too.

Paul

PS Edited to add some photos of motorhomes in car parks, fascinating stuff. Also Buckfast Abbey (not NT) in Devon is great for motorhomes. Park in coach park and have a look round the Abbey and grounds, all free. Nice restaurant too.

Thanks, all NT ones added to the map along with your notes. Stin=cking to NT at the moment as I want to see if I can get them interested so I want to keep it focused. Will start an English Heritage and RHS map a little later if there is interest,

Chris

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Formby Point, Merseyside has a massive car park. Just watch the pot holes.
Avoid on sunny days weekends and school holidays because it's packed. Although if you got there early you could park up easily.
Thanks - added to the map along with your notes

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I think you are referring to Ascott - now added to the map and based on your description as a red pin - thanks
YES - of course it was Ascott :sleep: Thanks.
It was only the overflow carpark which "upset" me: I think the ordinary one would be OK BUT I cannot guarantee that.

Looking over some of my other stops (bearing in mind I'm 6m and many were done a few years ago):
Bodnant Garden, Conwy: - superb parking on tarmac BUT almost everywhere slopes, v short stretch of narrowish road.
Penrhyn Castle, Bangor: superb - oodles of space
Westbury Court Garden, Glocs: access over 3T limit bridge BUT adjacent to main rd with small lay-by
Tredegar House, Newport: superb - oodles of space on tarmac parking, close to M4, adjacent to CC site.
Levant Steam Engine, Cornwall: fantastic views over Atlantic, plenty of space BUT unmade road with potholes
Lydford Gorge, Devon: plenty of space (slight slope) at both sites - short stretch of moderate width roads BUT no problem
Avebury, Wilts: easy access BUT can be crowded
Clandon Park, Surrey: easy usage but slightly sloping
Lyveden New Bield: (not worth visiting?) parking by side of moderately wide road
Tattershall Castle, Lincs: no problems, car park next to main road
Nostell Prioiry, Yorks: no problem
Nunnington Hall: no real problem from memory; some narrowish roads
Souter Lighthouse, Tyne & Wear: easy parking with good views over N Sea.

HTH - Gordon
PS I did mention slightly narrow roads to Trerice in Cornwall

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was going to suggest Saltram House at Plymouth but note it is already listed as a no-no. I go there several times a week to walk the dog and at quiet times, that is outside weekends, you should be able to park sideways in the car parking bays or down to the right as you approach the little hut by the cattle grid.

I'll ask the next time I go there. TBC. :)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I was going to suggest Saltram House at Plymouth but note it is already listed as a no-no. I go there several times a week to walk the dog and at quiet times, that is outside weekends, you should be able to park sideways in the car parking bays or down to the right as you approach the little hut by the cattle grid.

We have only been to Saltram House the once and it was on quite a busy day with plenty of cars. We found the coach parking bay and asked in the ticket office if it was okay to park there. As always, they were very helpful and said that would be okay. As far as we could see there was only one space set aside for coaches.

Again, according to the lady in the ticket office Saltram House if often busy because it is quite near a large town i.e. Plymouth whereas many NT properties seem to be in the middle of nowhere.

On quieter days I'm sure there would be no problem parking, I wouldn't want to put anyone off.

Paul

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Thanks - I have added your note to the map - doesn't sound like one I would try at 9m

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Again, according to the lady in the ticket office Saltram House if often busy because it is quite near a large town i.e. Plymouth whereas many NT properties seem to be in the middle of nowhere.

On quieter days I'm sure there would be no problem parking, I wouldn't want to put anyone off.

Paul
Thanks - your note added to the map pin - as you say, don't want to put anyone off but specifically I want this to be easy for larger vehicles and doesn't sound like one I would try

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks - your note added to the map pin - as you say, don't want to put anyone off but specifically I want this to be easy for larger vehicles and doesn't sound like one I would try
I'm not sure why you wouldn't try it. They have large trucks arriving almost every day delivering to the shop and the two cafés.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Attingham Hall & Gardens, Atcham, nr Shrewsbury.

Good parking, overflow park is grass but the main parks are gravel.

The main entrance is normal hgv width so larger RV's enter with care, after that all good.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Ickworth House near Bury St Edmunds has good access
Chris

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The map page now shows a complete list of all the entries and notes below the map itself so you can easily see the names of those on the map and the notes people have added. I think we are at 49 so one more for 50 and still waiting for the skirt wearing ginger nut brigade to contribute :) (and the Welsh aren't doing that well either!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back