Nasa BM1 Vs Victron BMV 712 (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Continuing my saga (search!) for addition 12v power a lot of people have suggested that a Battery Monitor would be a good idea first so that I can then fully establish my charge rate/discharge rate before adding extra gizmo's.

I believe this to be good advice ...................... so, which one and why? (massive price difference!)

Also as I have an EBL30 would there be any issues? anyone done this?

As always, many thanks in advance (I love this forum:h:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a BMV700 and the Bluetooth dongle the 712 has the dongle built in I think. There used to be a problem with the BM1 with solar panels don't know if it was resolved.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I have a BMV600 because my van has two 95Ah AGMs and I didn't know if I was going to need a solar panel and also I didn't want to wreck the batteries by over discharge. I find the information given by the BMV very reassuring and I'm still not convinced that I will need a solar panel as we never stay on a pitch or Aire more than one night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect there isn't a huge difference but Victron bits have a five year warranty which isn't to be sneezed at. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you have a mains socket you are not using in a convenient position the Victron will fit the hole, thats how I mounted mine.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Not used any other battery monitor, but the BM2 I fitted is brilliant (y)
So much information given, I find myself getting up earlier to check it out.
Sad, I know :oops: :)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a Victron BMV-700 with a bluetooth dongle. I am very pleased with it. The display is tucked away in a locker and I use the phone app to check the info. This way I don’t have to get up early to check it, I can do it whilst still tucked up in bed.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Does the Victron HAVE to be wired to a display or can it work just with an app? As far as I can tell the NASA does not need a display device other that phone app.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Victron comes with the display the 712 I beleive has the bluetooth built in and the 700 the bluethooth dongle plugs into the display unit.

Wondering if you are getting confused with Solar monitors & Battery monitors, the Victron Solar Regulator has Bluetooth that allows you to monitor the solar charge.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I like the Victron 712, but I was wondering if I can use it without the display, just bluetooth only to my phone?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On my 700 you have to connect the display to the shunt and the bluetooth to the display. The display info has an extra decimal point but I find the app info (ios) perfectly adequate for daily use. I imagine the wiring for the 712 is the same, except the bluetooth is built into the display. I have left the display in a locker because the display didn’t match my existing Votronic solar display.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back