My New Battery Setup for Full-Timing - LifePO4 - Build Log (2 Viewers)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I'm thinking of using Relion RB100's which only give two voltages
Charge voltage 14.2 - 14.6v
Balancing voltage 14.4v
I have a Relion RB100. I charge it at 14.6v and have set the maintenance voltage at 13.8v. This seems to be working very well and is my understanding of what Relion recommend. I don’t think you need to worry about cell balancing, I believe the BMS takes care of this. Relion also say:
“Tests show that the cells are so precisely matched, batched together with high conformity and passive assembly design that the balancing function will remain innactive for most of the battery life.”

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm thinking of using Relion RB100's which only give two voltages
Charge voltage 14.2 - 14.6v
Balancing voltage 14.4v
Ok those are not cells those are batteries with built in BMS. Different kettle of fish. Ignore what I said and listen to others on here :D

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I initially charged my cells to 3.65v per cell (14.6v) to balance them and now have it all set at 3.55v (14.2v).

This was on the recommendation on a technician at EV Power who advised the cells would have a better life span at the lower voltage.

No idea on the Relion batteries or other complete solutions I'm afraid.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I initially charged my cells to 3.65v per cell (14.6v) to balance them and now have it all set at 3.55v (14.2v).

This was on the recommendation on a technician at EV Power who advised the cells would have a better life span at the lower voltage.

No idea on the Relion batteries or other complete solutions I'm afraid.

Thanks for that
I emailed RELiON late yesterday afternoon and got a reply very quickly

Their advice was to charge to 14.4 then float at 13.8 when connecting 2 or more batteries in parallel

I understand that the batteries should be equally charged before connecting them together

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
Not sure which Elekroblock you have but with my 29 Udo Lang at Schaudt advised keeping it for eveything except charging. He suggested simply removing the 20 amp charging fuse from it and wiring my LiFePO4 friendly mains charger directly to the battery. For the battery to battery charger it was just a matter of intercepting the engine battery feed before it entered the Elektroblock. He said the advantage was the Elektroblock could still trickle charge the engine battery when on mains and the mains connection light would still function.

Yes I am going down this route now. Going to see a man in the know tomorrow to get a few things sorted and then hopefully soon will be up and running. I am also going with a 14.2v charge cap as the charger I have can adjust to that. Also a tip from Wissel…...one of many I may add :)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a little update on my setup after a couple of weeks use.

The only way i can describe it so far is it's like having permanent hookup (which is what I was hoping for).

After a week wilding (mainly, but never on hookup) in Cornwall last week, and checking the app once or twice a day, I never saw lower than 97% full. This is with our MaxxFan on 24/7 (love this thing), a powerful laptop always on, lots of things always charging, the router always on etc. Back in Wales I haven't bothered plugging the van back into mains as there's just no need. Even when carrying on with the build I just use the inverter for power tools.

Not sure exactly how much power the 4 x 100w solar panels can generate as the battery never goes low enough to ask the panels to really perform. I did find it surprising that the cells were drawing a few amps at 7am to maintenance charge and balance - never noticed any charge at this time of day with my last setup. I was aware that LiFePO4 charges at lower voltages than most batteries and charges more efficiently, but still surprising.

The BMS has been great as the cells are usually within around 0.02v of each other. If I check the app before dawn the cells are all exact. The charger seems to work perfectly being controlled via the BMS - only delivering required currents when needed and then switching itself on and off.

So, so far all good (thankfully). It's all working better than I'd hoped. Next week I'll have the PC, printer and 23" and 27" screens fitted. In fact everything electrical apart from the fridge. I'm going to leave all this running with the PC set to high power usage for a few days to try and use more battery power. I want to see what the solar can deliver. This will likely be the best real test I can perform until the weather turns later in the year.

Quick image of charger and inverter fitted under lowered Sportscraft seat base.

Inverter and charger.JPG

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I woke up this morning (in van with man-flu) wondering if my 1500w inverter would run my Tassimo, if my smart relay would trip and how my battery would perform. The van is parked in the shade at the moment, so my battery was showing the lowest it has to date (83%).

Temptation got the better of me and at about 8am this morning I plugged in the Tassimo. Here's the result.

Gazz Kaz+Spag

LIFE MEMBER
May 2, 2018
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2010
20180727_120950.jpg

Following Wissel ive just finished installing the cells and the BMS today. Just need to work doing with solar, inverter and charger next. Keeping my electro block and just using the same Voltronic to deal with charging and solar inputs. It did take longer than I thought. Thanks again Wissel :D

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting morning :)

Woke up at 7am, Missus already awake, first words out of her mouth "the power went off an hour ago". Panic time.

The batteries have had (almost) no charge for a week as it's either been really cloudy or the van has been in the shade. B2B charging isn't connected yet as I haven't run a wire to tell the system when the engine is running (not that that matters at the moment :) ).

The batteries were at about 90% a week ago (again, bad weather and shade) and were at 49% last night.

After a few seconds of waking up and throwing some clothes on to connect to hook-up, I had a thought. I wonder if the system is fine?

LiFePO4 cells have a much smaller safe voltage range. I have mine set very conservatively. I opened the BMS app on my phone and sure enough - one of the cells has hit 3.10v (other 3 on 3.11, 3.11, 3.12) and shut the system down. I had the Vmin (minimum voltage) set to 3.10v and the BMS had done it's job. It saw a cell at this voltage and tripped the relay. It's nice to know this works.

I checked the specs on my cells and they have a manufacturers recommended min voltage of 2.8v. There's no way I'd take them that low as it could reduce the life span, but I remembered I'd also checked what very safe high and low voltage limits were with EV Power (main supplier of these cells across world). I'd had quite a detailed exchange of emails with one of their senior technicians, he had said if it were him wanting the maximum life out of his cells, he would set the Vmin at 3.00v and Vmax to 3.55v.

I changed the Vmin in the app to 3.0v. Power kicks back in and panic over :)

The cells were showing 46% when the power tripped. I have no idea how much more power could have been used before hitting 3.0v as I've now connected to hook-up to give it all a good charge. This is something I'll need to work out before the Winter, so I know what I "really" have in reserve. It could be that the percentage counted in the app isn't accurate? No idea at the moment. The main thing I take from this morning is the safety features work (I know the app voltage readings are exact as checked with multi-meter).

On the plus side, the only charge the system has seen in 6 weeks is solar when available. For a month of that time I was parked in a spot that didn't see direct sunlight until about 3/4pm. For the past two weeks I've had the fridge running, PC on, Maxxfan on 24hr, router, loads of bits charging, etc - I've basically treated the electrics like I was on hook-up all the time with everything electrical I'll want running all the time.

Talking of the fridge, I went in a slightly different direction. I went with a 240v domestic fridge. After following the testing of someone on another forum, I ended up fitting this fridge:
Amazon product ASIN B01MY162BXplugged into this inverter:
Amazon product ASIN B01M159467
I love this setup. The total cost for the fridge and inverter was £325, but the best thing is it's almost silent. Even in the dead of night, all I ever hear is a slight noise when the compressor starts up. Then silence again. I thought at first the inverter couldn't cope and the fridge wasn't starting, but it's just so quiet that it can't be heard running unless right beside it. As I have the inverter on constantly, I have my router plugged into it as well. This inverter uses about 4w. I still have my larger inverter, that is only switched on when the Tassimo or hairdryer is needed.

While I've been writing this the batteries are being charged at 38.5A and are already back up to 58%. The fridge was back to temp in a matter of minutes, so holds it's temp nicely I guess.

This morning was just part of the learning curve of looking after LiFePO4. Well worth the learning IMO as it's a technology I'd hate to be without after having it a few months :)

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I am also running a 213ltr domestic fridge freezer thru an inverter
(it is certified for exterior use) . I am using Trojan t105 x 4 6V wet batteries and 900w solar . Not dropped below 90% during last 2 weeks . I am very pleased as like you say it is virtually silent , need to be almost putting ear to it when running to tell . It quicker to pop door open see if lights on :)
ps cant see photos either @Wissel

https://www.beko.co.uk/frost-free-combi-fridge-freezer-cfg1552-black-silver-white

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a very quick update.

I think it was just a case of the battery percentage not being correct.

It's still charging and each cell is up to 3.35v. Thing is, the battery percentage is showing 100%, which it shouldn't until 3.55v. So far it's been charging at 39A for 5 hours and, as LiFePO4 charging is better than 99% efficient, I think it's taken around 200Ah. My guess is another two hours to reach 3.55v and therefore really 100%.

Hopefully this full charge will reset it to correct.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back