My new addition (1 Viewer)

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Taken a couple of weeks ago heading to Germany. The trailer is strong enough to carry either of my big bikes (VStrom 650 Or VFR800F) but I’m not strong enough to push them up onto trailer. The scooter is a Suzuki Address 110 which weighs 98kg and is just about light enough.
Once it’s on and fastened down it’s rock solid and it’s nice to be able to leave the van on site and tour about with the bike
46BD632B-7AFE-43C6-9C28-5F5F5067B507.jpeg

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Enjoy reversing it as it will jacknife at the slightest opportunity - I know, and my rear light cluster knows only too well as I slid backwards down a shallow grassy slope! I hope you've mastered the art of reversing it as I found the combination of a long rear overhang on the MH and the short trailer bar is very tricky especially as it's difficult to see it! Reversing a 28ft fifth wheel was far easier!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Taken a couple of weeks ago heading to Germany. The trailer is strong enough to carry either of my big bikes (VStrom 650 Or VFR800F) but I’m not strong enough to push them up onto trailer. The scooter is a Suzuki Address 110 which weighs 98kg and is just about light enough.
Once it’s on and fastened down it’s rock solid and it’s nice to be able to leave the van on site and tour about with the bike
View attachment 433866
but I’m not strong enough to push them up onto trailer
We were recently on a site and the fella opposite had exact same arrangement as you but he had a small boat type hand winch fitted to pull bike up ramp onto trailer!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
You’re absolutely right. I got into a right pickle with it on that trip. It just wouldn’t go where I wanted no matter which Way I turned the steering wheel. Glad it’s not just me.
id be absolutely screwed if I had to reverse it If my life depended on it. How the hell do you do it. Fortunately it’s very light so I can move the trailer myself.

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
We were recently on a site and the fella opposite had exact same arrangement as you but he had a small boat type hand winch fitted to pull bike up ramp onto trailer!!
Yes I’m going to need something like that. Actually on the day I was leaving, a nice German biker saw me struggling and dashed over to give it the last push Up the ramp.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Reversing a small trailer is hard work, you can't see what it's doing. When I had one I fitted some fold down 'arms' that I could see in the mirrors, towing/reversing a big trailer is so much easier imo.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
When loading up my Honda ANF 125 on site, I always ask someone just to give me a bit of extra "ooomph" up the ramp to make life easier. No-one yet has ever refused and I suspect social distancing would not be a major issue!

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
When loading up my Honda ANF 125 on site, I always ask someone just to give me a bit of extra "ooomph" up the ramp to make life easier. No-one yet has ever refused and I suspect social distancing would not be a major issue!
When I load up my ANF I just start it and put in gear and gently "drive" it onto bike rack.

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
View attachment 433866
Hi BonnieCat I'd just posted on another trailer thread on this forum when I saw your post. Did you ever have to reverse it or did you just unhitch every time you needed to reverse?

Is it inclined to be top heavy when you lift the front to walk it around?

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi BonnieCat I'd just posted on another trailer thread on this forum when I saw your post. Did you ever have to reverse it or did you just unhitch every time you needed to reverse?

Is it inclined to be top heavy when you lift the front to walk it around?
I did have to reverse it. I was on a hill facing upwards and had stopped at the campsite barrier, thinking I was going to be let in quickly. Unfortunately I had to wait for the site owner to return and meanwhile a car drew up behind the van wanting to get in. No matter which way I turned the steering wheel the trailer just kept jack knifing. Luckily after much faffing I’d managed to move the van and trailer enough for the car to get by.
in that particular case unhitching in the trailer would have been difficult as I was on a hill.
The trailer with scooter can be moved by hand (scooter only weighs 98kg), but I think as it doesn’t appear to be controllable I might have to unhitch when i need to reverse the van. The scooter is placed nearest to the hitch, do you think if I place the scooter at the back of the trailer (Furthest from the hitch) it would “behave” itself. Any tips gratefully received.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
The trouble with reversing is because of the length of the trailer it’s short, if it was ten feet long it would be easy. I know that sounds mad but it’s true. (y)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
The scooter is placed nearest to the hitch, do you think if I place the scooter at the back of the trailer (Furthest from the hitch) it would “behave” itself. Any tips gratefully received.
I found you have to be so careful to make sure that when unhitching that the trailer tow bar is inclined downwards so the scooter leans sideways to the front. Why? An anguished howl and a broken brake lever came from it tipping over as I moved it down a slight slope and it hit a a small ledge on the kerb - lesson learned!

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
This is like the useful information you hate because it is too late - the Hydra trail bike trailer is easy peasy to reverse, it just tracks the van and no chance of a jack-knife.

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
This is like the useful information you hate because it is too late - the Hydra trail bike trailer is easy peasy to reverse, it just tracks the van and no chance of a jack-knife.
yes too late. Already got the trailer

Oct 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1998
Its all to do with the relationship betwixt the vehicle wheelbase and the pivot point to trailer wheels distance, I gave up trying to reverse my Motorcycle trailer was quicker to jump out un-hitch, turn arround , rehitch. I stand by the side of the bike and power it onto the trailer untill it locks into the stop, Bit nerve racking but used to it now after about 15 yrs. Almost lost the BMW once :)

OP
OP
BonnieCat

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Its all to do with the relationship betwixt the vehicle wheelbase and the pivot point to trailer wheels distance, I gave up trying to reverse my Motorcycle trailer was quicker to jump out un-hitch, turn arround , rehitch. I stand by the side of the bike and power it onto the trailer untill it locks into the stop, Bit nerve racking but used to it now after about 15 yrs. Almost lost the BMW once :)
I’m relieved it’s not just me that struggles with reversing these little trailers. The thing is at least I know, on that first trip I didn’t so from now on I just have to make sure that I watch where I park and don’t get myself into tricky situation.

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Steve L , What bike/trailer combo do you have? Did you find you had to unhitch it often? Was it easy to move around when you did have it unhitched?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, just trying to decide what would be best for me.

Thanks

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We have an Armitage side loading trailer with an MP3 on it. If you want to reverse a short trailer it is essential to get a reversing camera and then proceed very slowly making tiny adjustments with the steering wheel. If you think it's going to jacknife stop, pull forward slightly to straighten it up and then start again.
Because you can't start an MP3 and walk alongside it (pressure sensor under seat) I use a winch. A two wheeled scooter would not be any good with a winch unless you've got somebody else to either steady the scooter while you wind it up or vice versa.
Have had a Hydratrail and wouldn't have another for too many reasons to list not least of which is that you have to unload the trailer before you can disconnect from the van.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
How did you decide on what the Hydro Trail is. Is it a trailer with all the trailer requirements, speed limits, towing weight etc. Or is it an extension to the chassis, possible type approval problems. How do you calculate your axle loadings as the device supports 80% of the load.
I did email Hydro Trail who advised me it is an anomally, neither trailer nor chassis extension. Not sure how the Police, DVLA and insurance companies view it.
It does seem a clever idea, perhaps a pair of jockey wheels could allow it to be dismounted.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I use my rear view & reversing camera as long as you do it slowly and keep your eyes on the screen and mirrors.👍😊

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I started reverseing things, tractors mainly which are simple compared to these things, about 60 years ago an old bloke gave me the best advice, always follow your trailer, I know it may sound daft and not always possible in very tight places, but the meaning was as soon as your trailer starts going one way , turn you vehicle that way to keep it in line, then you are on top of it jack knifeing.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We have an Armitage side loading trailer with an MP3 on it. If you want to reverse a short trailer it is essential to get a reversing camera and then proceed very slowly making tiny adjustments with the steering wheel. If you think it's going to jacknife stop, pull forward slightly to straighten it up and then start again.
Because you can't start an MP3 and walk alongside it (pressure sensor under seat) I use a winch. A two wheeled scooter would not be any good with a winch unless you've got somebody else to either steady the scooter while you wind it up or vice versa.
Have had a Hydratrail and wouldn't have another for too many reasons to list not least of which is that you have to unload the trailer before you can disconnect from the van.
You get winches with wander leads. But the best answer IMO is get a mh with a decent garage

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
You get winches with wander leads. But the best answer IMO is get a mh with a decent garage

No need for a wander lead for winches and the like anymore, my brother just fitted a new Hiab to a truck he's bought, fully remote control.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
When I was working at the roadside loading bikes on to the trailer or the spec lift was a nightmare. I wasn’t supposed to let the owner help for health and safety reasons.
The worst I had to load was a bike with shaft drive with a locked back wheel. That took two of us and a lot of struggling and swearing.
Our bike trailers were old and heavy with no winch. Behind a Transit 190 they were nearly imposable to reverse. I brought an empty bike trailer back from Basingstoke to Grimsby empty one night. It stopped rattling at 70!!!.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back