My lucky day (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We always have the van serviced and MOT’d at Westfield Motors, Threemilestone, Truro and it was due last week. Normally I stick the bike on the back rack, drop the van off and cycle the 15 miles home. But it was raining so Sue followed me in the car, good job she did. When we got there she came over and said there was something hanging down under the van. I looked under and could see what looked like the sort of support you see holding a spare wheel under some vans, but our spare is in the double floor. Whatever it was, it hung no more than 2 inches above the road and it appeared to have piping attached to it. Given its position in the middle of the van, I thought it might be water supply piping. I asked the garage owner to have a look and he said, “you were lucky! That’s fuel piping, and we’ve seen this before on older Hymers and we had one where the support bracket rusted through, the whole thing dropped and the pipes fractured, spilling fuel all over the place.”
Our van is a Hymer B544SL, 2006, with 64000 miles on the clock, regularly serviced, well cared for and regularly checked by me when I wash and polish it. But I never spotted this potentially dangerous failure and did not know it was a known risk.
so now I’m sharing this with members in the hope that you may be as lucky or even luckier than me😊Gary

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Thank you Gary.
I will get underneath when its dry next and have a good look at the fuel pipe clips and brackets. 👍

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I’ll have a look at mine also. Mine is a Mercedes platform what’s is yours. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My 654 is on Fiat Alko. But its not that relevant maybe. Worth the check. No chance while still peeing down though🤷‍♂️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back