My last bike was an Aerial Square Four…… . (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
new
when I was in my early 20's.
Now, at the ripe old (but reasonably fit) age of 71, I'm concidering buying a Moto Guzzi V7.
Am I a bloody idiot with a death wish (as some family members think) or should I go for it?
Go for it. .its a lovely machine. I've had a bike continuously since I was 14 and I'm now 71. Currently a Ducati Desert Sled. I've had a few scrapes over the years, but not enough to put me off. There is nothing to beat it for putting a smile on your face. . well. . almost

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Go for it , had bikes since 14 , on the road at 16 and had bikes ever since . Good idea to get some training before you go out on the road again , unfortunate that things do happen and everyone has a story of mates killed/bad crashes/ ongoing injuries, but that’s life it happens all the time in a multitude of ways ,not just on bikes. Ride within your capabilities and use the additional training to maximise your awareness and safety. I still ride my bikes on a regular basis and yes times and driving habits have changed , I have adapted my riding to meet this. I ride an R6 Yamaha , fast/light/superb brakes and handling , when I go out on my 76 Z900 Kawa ( which I ve owned since 78 , look at my avatar 😀) quick/heavy/not so good brakes , I adapt to ride each differently , it’s riding to suit the conditions and having the awareness to do so safely. Currently re building an RD250 from 1977 and will ride that totally different from the others. Go for it and enjoy the things that give you pleasure, forget about the doom and gloom stories.

Attachments

• F8B81DA6-C7BE-4072-AC96-1BC01849BF29.jpeg
    F8B81DA6-C7BE-4072-AC96-1BC01849BF29.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 13

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Last big bike I had was a pan European went through a RAB at about 60 then thought that was quick but thinking about it that was the reason I sold it now have a honda 125 twist and go with intercom in our helmets and even uses phone as sat nav more fun as we don’t go fast now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson
As a retired motorcycle paramedic, I have over the years had all makes and sizes of bikes. Having been legal to ride at 15! Its now 54yrs of having motorcycle entitlement, I joined the Army’s Junior Tradesmen Regiment (Bodelwyddan Rhyl) at 15, took my test during basic training and was allowed out on the roads with a BSA 350. Over the last 3yrs I’ve come down from a BMW1200 GSA to BMW F850GSA and now a BMW C650GT scooter. Because I’ve been riding full time for 40yrs in all weathers, I now have arthritis in my back, knees, arms and hands, which limits my riding position and duration.

All I can say is that the traffic has got heavier, the standard of driving and the road rage has got worse and worse. I would recommend a test ride on a large bike first. The power to weight ratio is nothing like a square 4. Unless they’ve changed, the Motto Guzzi V’s are very top heavy especially with a full tank of fuel. I would also recommend an advanced riding course with a recognised provider, IAM, ROSPA, DIA etc. Best of luck and happy ventures.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I remember seeing a Square Four in the late 50's with a large Watsonian Sidecar attached, as well as towing a small caravan.

Last edited:

CharlieT

Free Member
Dec 28, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago 141
Exp
Since 2001 (really!)
Now, at the ripe old (but reasonably fit) age of 71, I'm concidering buying a Moto Guzzi V7.
Am I a bloody idiot with a death wish (as some family members think) or should I go for it?
Go for it! A few of our motorbike touring buddies are in their 70's and even 80's - have toured Morocco and north West America with some of them!

Sagalout

Free Member
Nov 10, 2021
Wolverhampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Got to love a Guzzi. Guzzis get under your skin like no other marque, but beware it’s well known that you’ll soon buy another to go with it. It’s what happens.

View attachment 656559
Agreed , I had a Stelvio 1200 ( not the original one which was er not so good ) and loved it so much so I bought a Californian ( not very good ) to go with it but then tried and bought a Californian 1400 which, again ,I loved . Never had a problem nor " dodgy electrics " with either !!! If I wasn`t " too old to fight and too fat to run " I`d definitely replace them both tomorrow .

Aug 18, 2017
Antequera, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SP
Exp
5 years and still learning
My last bike back in 2003 was a Suzuki 750 GSXR. Sold it not long after an idiot decided not to look right when turning out of a side road, forcing me to go through a gap between him and the oncoming traffic. I thought for a split second "ohhh poop" the gap ain't wide enough!! To this day I don't know how I got through with nothing more than a pair of very wobbly knees when I stopped. He found out though my mouth was still in full working order!
Now, I am the proud owner of a 1960 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet. Found it for sale 3 weeks ago here in Spain 3 where it has lived since 1967.
FB_IMG_1661120611863.jpg

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Ok, so what was your last (or current motorbike) & would you have another one if you could afford it?

My last Bike was a Suzuki 1000GS & I loved it, but after many years as a paramedic, I wouldn't have or get back onto another bike.
I still totally get the freedom of it, but in the space of 9yrs we've lost 3 very close friends to collisions which were in no way attributed to the riders & that leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

Ride safe & free folks.
So sorry to hear your story, I loved Motorbikes, but a young learner on a 50 CC. hit my car he was overtaking a truck in the 1980's and which killed him, 40 odd years on I still have flashbacks, especially when someone is acting recklessly, and lucky for us my sons never had Motorcycles, like lots of things in the wrong hands or make one mistake it can be fatal.
As for the Aeriel Square 4 what a bike in its time.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Is it just me or am I wrong for not getting misty eyed over British bikes? I had a Panther 250 with Villiers 2T engine that I passed my test on in 69. It tried very hard to kill me and could make whole streets disappear in clouds of blue smoke likened to that laid down by ships trying to hide in WW2. My next bike was a new (1969) T120R Bonneville that used to leak oil, vibrated so much that the rear mudguard broke in half. At night it would shake the filaments out of the stop/tail light at 2000rpm and the headlight dip beam at 4000rpm. It mysteriously ceased up on a trip to Hastings one day. The twin leading shoe front brake was either on or off. The Ariel the subject of this thread was well known for a terrible design fault in that the rear cylinders overheated - something that was not a great surprise as the front two cylinders blocked any air flow to the rear. Compared to modern bikes they are hopeless. The Honda 750 Four and the virtually indestructible Honda 50 and 90 commuter bikes rapidly killing off the British Motorcycle Industry. The modern bikes of today you can get on and ride to anywhere in Europe with just a cursory look over.

They (British Bikes) were all we had at the time but they were rubbish.

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
i recently sold my R6, between my bones and ever present arthritis i can no longer keep my body in the racing position,so have been looking at the yamaha XT 1200, but swmbo wants electric fold ups,..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: shes going to have problems keeping up then,::bigsmile:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Is it just me or am I wrong for not getting misty eyed over British bikes? I had a Panther 250 with Villiers 2T engine that I passed my test on in 69. It tried very hard to kill me and could make whole streets disappear in clouds of blue smoke likened to that laid down by ships trying to hide in WW2. My next bike was a new (1969) T120R Bonneville that used to leak oil, vibrated so much that the rear mudguard broke in half. At night it would shake the filaments out of the stop/tail light at 2000rpm and the headlight dip beam at 4000rpm. It mysteriously ceased up on a trip to Hastings one day. The twin leading shoe front brake was either on or off. The Ariel the subject of this thread was well known for a terrible design fault in that the rear cylinders overheated - something that was not a great surprise as the front two cylinders blocked any air flow to the rear. Compared to modern bikes they are hopeless. The Honda 750 Four and the virtually indestructible Honda 50 and 90 commuter bikes rapidly killing off the British Motorcycle Industry. The modern bikes of today you can get on and ride to anywhere in Europe with just a cursory look over.

Agree like the cars!!

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Like many, I have been riding since 16, now 70. My Triumph Trophy 1200 fell over on the drive when I couldn’t hold it up (I’m 6’3”), now have a KTM 690 Duke, which at 148kg, is really easy to move around. With 73bhp, it is a grin machine! Also have a BSA Rocket 3 for dry days! KTM will also fit in the garage of the motorhome.
537FBC92-3153-4B94-85A3-8B2314AA565C.jpeg
0CA2BC76-C7CC-48F2-8B97-F1926143B48D.jpeg

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
So sorry to hear your story, I loved Motorbikes, but a young learner on a 50 CC. hit my car he was overtaking a truck in the 1980's and which killed him, 40 odd years on I still have flashbacks, especially when someone is acting recklessly, and lucky for us my sons never had Motorcycles, like lots of things in the wrong hands or make one mistake it can be fatal.
As for the Aeriel Square 4 what a bike in its time.
There are always faults of any group of drivers/riders. Fatalities are very sadly a day & daily occurrence & will continue to be so for many years or perhaps forever.
People on motorbikes are extremely vulnerable, so it surprises me that some ride as they do.
I witness it on most days of the summer, I live on the edge of a village which has some classically beautiful riding or driving countryside & bikes seem to stick out in particular as opening the taps as soon as (if not before) they leave the village, deaths happen on a weekly basis.

I have no answers on how to get through to people, but I've always believed that speeding drivers/riders should be shown the aftermath of just one fatality. The person I invariably saw who were in bits were the drivers or riders that survived the fatal collision, its a sad pitiful sight & I usually only saw the beginning of the painful process, others like yourself suffer for many years after the original event.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Cliff’s the same age as you, and he says you had your first bit of bad luck when you bought the Ariel Square 4 :rofl:

He’s sure you are a very good mechanic if you owned it for long enough - he remembers the rear engine cylinders used to overheat from new, just one of its little traits!

He owned an Ariel Red Hunter 500 (along with a string of others).

Now, as to your dream of a Moto Guzzi - and this is Geri talking now - Cliff owned a MG Spada 1000 v-twin.

I got on it once.

He hit a hole and the pain shot from the bottom to the top of my spine.

He sold it very soon thereafter.

So make sure they have refined their suspension issues before you flash the cash….. :rofl:

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
If you've not ridden since your 20s then yeah go for it but make sure your will is up to date

Deleted User
Square 4 a great design had a 1939 with cast iron cylinders, girder forks and rigid rear when I was 16 in 1958. Overheating only started when cast iron was replaced by aluminium block.
Get a bike, but suggest smaller lighter one, same or better performance than you remember.
Do the IAM advanced rider course BEFORE you take to the roads alone.
Enjoy.
Finally gave up bikes and sailing when I had a triple by pass in 2016.
You only live once, and quality beats longevity!!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
People on motorbikes are extremely vulnerable, so it surprises me that some ride as they do.
I cringe when I see riders in shorts and tee shirts and the youngsters, girls as well, abroad on their mopeds and scooters. Bare skin doesn't fare well in contact with tarmac, at even 15mph.
The person I invariably saw who were in bits were the drivers or riders that survived the fatal collision, its a sad pitiful sight & I usually only saw the beginning of the painful process,
For seven weeks I was in a hospital bed next to a 30 something biker who had nipped off a building site just in shorts and tee shirt to get a sandwich and been knocked off his bike in town traffic and partly run over by a passing car. He had been there 5 months with broken bones and his skin grafted and donor graft sites on both arms and a leg had failed several times due to infection and had to be redone. His distraught wife and two kids visited every day and were about to lose their flat as he had no income. He couldn't get out of bed without two nurses nor feed himself and was in severe and constant pain and in truth, damn near suicidal.

But all the same, dear boy, they were British rubbish. I doubt that many Japanese bikes will still be ridden when 60 or 70 years old.
There's an excellent read by the senior designer and board member who was at various times with the major Brit bike manufacturers in its heyday......

Whatever 2.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My last bike was a BMW 1200LT - oh how I miss it!!!! Have had a few scooters since but now (aged 74) I don't have either but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if SWMBO didn't worry so much!
I had a k1200lt for a few years, lovely thing, all the comfort of a gold wing but less glitzy looking.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
My last bike was a BMW 1200LT - oh how I miss it!!!! Have had a few scooters since but now (aged 74) I don't have either but I'd buy another in a heartbeat if SWMBO didn't worry so much!
I had the 1200 RT LE before this Wing. 1st one out that was water assisted cooled. 15 plate i think. Will get a pic up.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I cringe when I see riders in shorts and tee shirts and the youngsters, girls as well, abroad on their mopeds and scooters. Bare skin doesn't fare well in contact with tarmac, at even 15mph.

For seven weeks I was in a hospital bed next to a 30 something biker who had nipped off a building site just in shorts and tee shirt to get a sandwich and been knocked off his bike in town traffic and partly run over by a passing car. He had been there 5 months with broken bones and his skin grafted and donor graft sites on both arms and a leg had failed several times due to infection and had to be redone. His distraught wife and two kids visited every day and were about to lose their flat as he had no income. He couldn't get out of bed without two nurses nor feed himself and was in severe and constant pain and in truth, damn near suicidal.

But all the same, dear boy, they were British rubbish. I doubt that many Japanese bikes will still be ridden when 60 or 70 years old.
There's an excellent read by the senior designer and board member who was at various times with the major Brit bike manufacturers in its heyday......

View attachment 664255
my Honda is 52 years old and my kettle is 47. I also love my modern Guzzi though.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Great to hear there are still so many mature? bikers out there.
Today i had a good tour around North Wales. Out for 6 hours.

Oct 4, 2020
North West England
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cipro 55 CI
Exp
since 2015
Go for it , had bikes since 14 , on the road at 16 and had bikes ever since . Good idea to get some training before you go out on the road again , unfortunate that things do happen and everyone has a story of mates killed/bad crashes/ ongoing injuries, but that’s life it happens all the time in a multitude of ways ,not just on bikes. Ride within your capabilities and use the additional training to maximise your awareness and safety. I still ride my bikes on a regular basis and yes times and driving habits have changed , I have adapted my riding to meet this. I ride an R6 Yamaha , fast/light/superb brakes and handling , when I go out on my 76 Z900 Kawa ( which I ve owned since 78 , look at my avatar 😀) quick/heavy/not so good brakes , I adapt to ride each differently , it’s riding to suit the conditions and having the awareness to do so safely. Currently re building an RD250 from 1977 and will ride that totally different from the others. Go for it and enjoy the things that give you pleasure, forget about the doom and gloom stories.
mine is very similar to yours, i had an RD200 and a RD350LC back in the day, i wish i had them now

Attachments

• IMG_20210817_124755.jpg
    IMG_20210817_124755.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread