My experiences when fitting a solar panel to a Sargent EC500 power supply unit (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I posted this reply to my own thread when I asked all you other Funsters if any of you had had experience of fitting a solar panel to your MoHo. Ours is a ‘62 plate Autotrail Apache 632 with a Sargent EC500 Power Supply Unit and an EC300 controller. I found out how, and installed it..... If anybody has any useful comments or tips or thinks I’ve cocked up somewhere please make sure you reply to this thread!!!!

Well boys n girls I’ve fitted the solar panel. I got it from a supplier in Blackburn, Lancashire. The 120w panel, plastic brackets, grommet box and 4mm 5metre long cables cost £125.

I opened up the Sargent EC500 Power Supply Unit and found that it already had a separate black plastic control box in it for the solar panel. (See black box in upper part of the photo) This had a lit orange LED by a picture indicating a half full battery. There was also a picture for a full/charging battery with an unlit orange LED by it, of which more later.

I attached the panel to the roof with a tube of polyurethane glue/sealant, drilled a 40mm hole in the roof by the T.V. Antenna which is immediately above the EC500 and dropped the wiring through the grommets and sealed the grommet box to the roof with the polyurethane glue. I didn’t connect the extra cables to the terminated flying leads on the solar panel at this stage as I didn’t want to get a shock from the panel whilst wiring it into the EC500.

The black plastic control box on the EC500 had pictorial terminals marked on it for the solar panel + & -, it also had a flimsy pre-wired connector with a red & a black wire attached to the two terminals. The other two terminals were pictorially marked as a battery with + & - signs, these were/are factory connected to terminals on the main EC500 using orange/white trace and white/orange trace wiring and a factory fitted plug/socket marked “solar reg”
989A51BE-A088-481B-A7E2-82D0BEF81C5E.jpeg

I removed the flimsy red & black wiring from the black control box and connected up the, suitably shortened, +ve & -ve wires from the solar panel to the black control box.

I covered the solar panel with the cardboard box it came in, then connected the flying leads from the solar panel to the leads I’d just connected to the black control box in the EC500. (I checked the voltage from the panel using a multimeter before doing this and I was getting 22volts DC with strong sunshine. Hence my earlier caution!!)

I removed the box and went back to the EC500. The orange LED, indicating battery charging, was now the one that was lit. I had previously noted at the EC300 control unit above the habitation door on our Autotrail Apache 632 that the leisure and vehicle batteries were both “good” with 12.7v and 12.5v respectively. They were now showing voltages fluctuating between 13.4v & 13.9v and 12.8v & 13.3v respectively. The weather yesterday was a mix of bright direct sunshine & clouds, the voltages varied up and down for each battery, but never dropped below 12.8v for the leisure and 12.6v for the vehicle battery.

I am sure that the black plastic control box is a PMU type controller and could be replaced by an MPPT type, which is/are allegedly more efficient, but room inside the EC500 is at a premium!

So it looks like job jobbed!

Hope this helps others! You carry out any and alterations to your vehicle completely at your own risk, I won’t take responsibility for your own cockups!!
989A51BE-A088-481B-A7E2-82D0BEF81C5E.jpeg

Cheers! Russ

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have the same unit and replaced the Sargent Solar controller with a Victron MPPT with the bluetooth module which stores the last 32 days of charging info.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Presumably a straight swap? Does the Victron unit make the batteries charge faster/more? Is it a value for money upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

Russ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It is a straight swop. I do believe it's more efficient than my old one was. Is it value you for money? The Victron controller is around £100 and the Bluetooth dongle £45 expensive yes but I can see how it has been charging the batteries, so times for bulk, absorption and float which can indicate if I have a problem. Do you need the dongle, probably not but a good solar controller is a must if you want to get the most out of your panel.

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Ive got a 120w panel, which model victory did you get?

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
If talking about the normal victron mppt and not some sargent specific replacement then you don't need to buy the seperate Bluetooth dongle if you buy the Victron Smartsolar version as its built in.

The 75/15 smartsolar is about £105

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
I know Sargent say that 120w is the maximum size solar you can fit, using the EC500 ECU, but I wonder if this is just governed by the controller itself, or whether parts of the PCB and components, wiring, etc., would be damaged if fitting something larger (with a larger controller, of course).

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Well done with your installation of the solar panel.

The Victron MPPT controllers limit the maximum output regardless of input.
For example a 75/10 would limit the output to 10 amps even if your panels were producing more than 10 amps, the 75/15 version would limit the output to 15 amps and so on.
I originally fitted a 75/10 as a precaution as the Sargent EC500 is only rated at 10 amps maximum.

From your voltage readings it appears that your Sargent system is correctly charging both sets of batteries, keep an eye on that as ours often failed to charge the vehicle battery unless I woke it up by switching the EC 500 on and off.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
On the over door control panel you can enter the advanced menu. Then you have options for how the solar charges. Smart charge both batteries or leisure only or engine only. I found this useful when on a rally and stopped for several days / week with no EHU. ?
Be aware that when batteries are full the display will flash between a charge amp rate and 0. This is normal operation.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
On the over door control panel you can enter the advanced menu. Then you have options for how the solar charges. Smart charge both batteries or leisure only or engine only. I found this useful when on a rally and stopped for several days / week with no EHU. ?
Be aware that when batteries are full the display will flash between a charge amp rate and 0. This is normal operation.
Great when it worked !
I made sure the solar setting in the advanced menu was set to charge both sets of batteries, sometimes it worked fine but often only charged the leisure batteries.
I spoke to Sargent technical about this but they couldn’t offer any help.

The Vanbitz Battery Master was a perfect solution in our case.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If talking about the normal victron mppt and not some sargent specific replacement then you don't need to buy the seperate Bluetooth dongle if you buy the Victron Smartsolar version as its built in.

The 75/15 smartsolar is about £105
you need the dongle if you want to download the historical charging info

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Didn't know there was a difference.

Just bought one used on here and when I installed the app could see all the charging levels from the previous owner. Not sure how far back it went as reset it but the demo includes 30 days worth. Had the option to save it and lifetime totals etc.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
As far as I can find out the only difference between the bluesolar and smartsolar is the smart has Bluetooth built in. Both use the same victron app. So if wanting Bluetooth its cheaper to buy that rather than a dongle seperately, also leaves the port free for the remote display

OP
OP
RustyRuss
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Thanks for all your input people! I have had the Mo Ho on the driveway for over a week now and the voltages for leisure and vehicle batteries have fluctuated from 12.8 to 14.2 volts depending on cloud and sun conditions, so it seems the Sargent controller is doing it’s job. Once again thanks for all your help, advice and assistance!

Stay Safe!

Cheers!

Russ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back