Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Interesting, what type of wood should I be using? and how / where do I get it pressure treated?

It’s looking like a couple of short lengths are required? is pressure treating them necessary?
as i said in my earlier post try to get some offcuts of mahogany from a local window company, this is hardwood and will last the life of your m/home. you will probably have to shape it to size.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I did look 0n the O’Leary website but couldn’t see the right wallboard. Magnum’s definitely have it though. Going to buy a 4 pack of it. Kenkle I believe it’s called.
Be aware if looking again that O'Leary only have a fraction of their stock on the website. Having been there, it's just up the road, can understand why.
Am watching your progress with interest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Another way is to buy some timber preservatives and totally imerse the timber in it using a large bucket or plastic drum etc. Leaving it to soak for 24/48 hours. Will stop any spread of rot.

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
Better still, buy pressure treated wood. All the sheds stock it, if you can find an appropriate size. Freshly treated wood shrinks as it dries.

Buy multi-tool blades on eBay, they're really good and much cheaper.

Stixall adhesive won't disolve anything, is very strong, and cures in the presence of water. It'lI stick more or less anything very well, but doesn't cure quickly in the current temperatures (unless you use your heater).

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Better still, buy pressure treated wood. All the sheds stock it, if you can find an appropriate size. Freshly treated wood shrinks as it dries.

Buy multi-tool blades on eBay, they're really good and much cheaper.

Stixall adhesive won't disolve anything, is very strong, and cures in the presence of water. It'lI stick more or less anything very well, but doesn't cure quickly in the current temperatures (unless you use your heater).
If you cut pressure treated timber it is less resistant at that point. If cut to size first the treatment is equal all around, as the treatment does not penetrate right through the timber only X amount in to the timber.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Thanks for all the tips fellas.

Another thing I need to ask about.....when I took the doors off, there was old sealant everywhere. It looks like no nails as it was a buff / grey colour and was still soft? Was this a previous attempt at sealing using ‘no nails’? or is this decent stuff a d that is how decent stuff ends up?

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you cut pressure treated timber it is less resistant at that point. If cut to size first the treatment is equal all around, as the treatment does not penetrate right through the timber only X amount in to the timber.
It's rated for outdoor use, so should be fine as (covered) framing. And if the cut edges are a concern, just treat them.

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the tips fellas.

Another thing I need to ask about.....when I took the doors off, there was old sealant everywhere. It looks like no nails as it was a buff / grey colour and was still soft? Was this a previous attempt at sealing using ‘no nails’? or is this decent stuff a d that is how decent stuff ends up?
There are also non setting sealants, for example . These don't set, and seal supported joints which might flex. For example an awning rail (or your windows and Thetford type doors) might be sealed with it, but they won't hold any unsupported weight without a mechanical fixing.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

Be aware that in some situations it is better to use non setting sealant rather than the PU adhesive /sealant such as Sikaflex.
Fitting of roof lights is one situation but there are others where it is preferable.
Great thread by the way (y)

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
There are also non setting sealants, for example . These don't set, and seal supported joints which might flex. For example an awning rail.

So, it more than likely was something like no nails then? It feels like putty.

I’ve seen it in other places on the MH so, I’d love to know if it’s crap stuff or if that is how it is supposed to look?

Ismbardbrunel

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Off and on for a few yrs
If your planning to stop the leak, as i assume you are, then there is no need to use pressure treated materials...

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Be aware that in some situations it is better to use non setting sealant rather than the PU adhesive /sealant such as Sikaflex.
Fitting of roof lights is one situation but there are others where it is preferable.
Great thread by the way (y)

That makes sense, thank you. I don’t suppose you and or anyone could do a bit of a list of what sealant to use where please? This is what the purpose of this thread is all about, giving a good base of knowledge for anyone wanting to tackle this kind of repair but are struggling to find the info.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
If your planning to stop the leak, as i assume you are, then there is no need to use pressure treated materials...

I’m 100% sure the leak was the door frame (in the case of the hab door). The rot in the corner by the locker door was also caused by a badly sealed frame.

So I need to make sure I seal them with the right sealant

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's rated for outdoor use, so should be fine as (covered) framing. And if the cut edges are a concern, just treat them.
I only know what I was told by the treatment place. I only delivered the stuff to manufacture. Also they don’t use off the shelf sizes some of it is run up to their spec. But I would stand corrected by people with greater knowledge.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
So, it more than likely was something like no nails then? It feels like putty.

I’ve seen it in other places on the MH so, I’d love to know if it’s crap stuff or if that is how it is supposed to look?

No it's a bedding sealant that comes in a role. I got some when I changed a door on one of my vans from @CLS . it's used on doors and window frames prior to sealing which is then added.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I don't need any but yours is the same wallpaper as mine. Always handy to know where you got it incase me or anyone else needs some in the future. You are doing a great job , thanks for posting. It's an interesting thread.

Thank you!

I will do a list of materials and supplier links

Just need to figure out all these adhesives lol

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Great work! Take it slowly and it will be fine.
Have used a bedding sealant for rooflight problems and stixall for all sorts of glueing where there is the possibility of movement.
First met it for glueing plastic to stainless steel!. Excellent product. Other excellent wood glues use the moisture in the timber and foam up to fill gaps, can't remember the name.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Just a thought, certainly before using a tape type product would be to ensure the surfaces are fully degreased. use meths or aerosol spray . I think brake cleaner might be OK but not contact cleaner!
Mike

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
magnums sell the rolls of bedding mastic they also do H section plastic board jointers in cream

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
You could go on the sikaflex site that would give you an idea of what you can use and where not the cheapest product but if you know what you can use you could look for same/similar product from a cheaper source

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Everyone probably does thing differently but maybe some G clamps similar to a mastic tube applicator to hold bits in place - and if worried about joining the wood you could also cut a bit more insulation away and put a brace between the original and the new wood - you can always use squirty foam insulation if you lose too much original insulation

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks fellas. I’ll do a bit of research and put a list up of things i’m going to use and where.

I’m not necessarily worried about finding the cheapest product. I’d rather have the best for the job as I don’t want to be doing this every so often!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like you are doing a great job, I've been there & done it on a caravan many years ago.
When you glue the wall boards back on you obviously need to brace them to keep the board in contact with the adhesive, also what you must do is brace the outside wall of the van as well or you will probably end up with a nice curve in the wall (guess how I found this out:)).
I'm not a fan of the mastic bedding strip, it tends to shrink in sunlight, I would stay with Sika products.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Looks like you are doing a great job, I've been there & done it on a caravan many years ago.
When you glue the wall boards back on you obviously need to brace them to keep the board in contact with the adhesive, also what you must do is brace the outside wall of the van as well or you will probably end up with a nice curve in the wall (guess how I found this out:)).
I'm not a fan of the mastic bedding strip, it tends to shrink in sunlight, I would stay with Sika products.

Cheers Lenny. It seems very obvious when you say it like that.....yet it would’ve been something I would’ve totally overlooked (the bracing part I mean!)

Thank you for the tip!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back