Much ado about nothing

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Prologue

On Friday afternoon I found that I had an unexpectedly free weekend so I decided to stay at a local site. I booked online and drove across.

Act 1

On arrival the receptionist was checking my booking and mentioned that I had booked for two people. As it was, in fact, just me I told her and she said there was a £4 difference in the cost (i.e. I have overpaid by £4). I said "great, just give me a refund for the difference". "No" she said. "It was your fault not ours". I pointed out that I was a regular customer (not that that should have mattered). But she insisted that she would not give any refund. I said I found that disappointing and would probably not return; and I would probably comment on it in my review. She said that people who published bad reviews of their site always had themselves to blame (nice). She then went in the back and called the owner's wife. Who said "It was your fault. You need to be more careful when booking online".

Act 2

While the receptionist was completing the booking I whipped out my phone and looked at the booking confirmation. To my surprise it said it was a booking for one person. I showed this to the receptionist who looked somewhat aghast. She went in the back again and called someone else. They looked and agreed that the mistake was theirs. I suggested that they owed me an apology. I got a half hearted sort of apology.

Finale

After half an hour there was a knock on the door of the van and there was the receptionist. She wanted me to know that she really was sorry.

Questions arise:

Would I not be protected by the Distance Selling legislation if I had booked online and did actually make a mistake.
Should I write a review?
Should I ever go back?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Prologue

On Friday afternoon I found that I had an unexpectedly free weekend so I decided to stay at a local site. I booked online and drove across.

Act 1

On arrival the receptionist was checking my booking and mentioned that I had booked for two people. As it was, in fact, just me I told her and she said there was a £4 difference in the cost (i.e. I have overpaid by £4). I said "great, just give me a refund for the difference". "No" she said. "It was your fault not ours". I pointed out that I was a regular customer (not that that should have mattered). But she insisted that she would not give any refund. I said I found that disappointing and would probably not return; and I would probably comment on it in my review. She said that people who published bad reviews of their site always had themselves to blame (nice). She then went in the back and called the owner's wife. Who said "It was your fault. You need to be more careful when booking online".

Act 2

While the receptionist was completing the booking I whipped out my phone and looked at the booking confirmation. To my surprise it said it was a booking for one person. I showed this to the receptionist who looked somewhat aghast. She went in the back again and called someone else. They looked and agreed that the mistake was theirs. I suggested that they owed me an apology. I got a half hearted sort of apology.

Finale

After half an hour there was a knock on the door of the van and there was the receptionist. She wanted me to know that she really was sorry.

Questions arise:

Would I not be protected by the Distance Selling legislation if I had booked online and did actually make a mistake.
Should I write a review?
Should I ever go back?
You have already written a review.

Only you can decide if you want to go back.

Personally, if there is suitable alternative site in the area I wouldn’t return to that one. If it is the only one, in a favourite area, I would go back and simply avoid the rude owners.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I would never grant them the pleasure of my presence again.
I would also name and shame.

I agree with your feelings on this matter, you shouldn't need to prove the booking in this way & the OP should name & shame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Don't quote/flame me ...but I think distance selling regs predominantly relate to goods. Services are slightly different. But poor service is just that, really poor service.

I keep wondering why businesses think its clever/smart/a good idea to argue with customers. Its not - its just plain stupid. I would post the review and maybe even send them a copy - then they can respond if they feel like it

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think its all about customer service and how you manage the situation at the time, for a regular customer to feel like this and feel the need to post a couple of days later proves the upset caused by the members of staff involved.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yes possibly - but the remedy allowed is full refund if you simply changed your mind, but that would have resulted in your booking being cancelled... which might or might not have suited you.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't necessarily agree 100% with the "customer is always right" adage... of course there are good & bad ways handling a disagreement... however, we are all human...

Communication is also non verbal & often the way we approach a complaint makes all the difference... and even though you maybe in the right, technically, the thread does make me wonder :unsure:

...and in this case, the receptionist obviously felt she hadn't done as well as she could have.
So again I do wonder what all the fuss is about?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I don't necessarily agree 100% with the "customer is always right" adage... of course there are good & bad ways handling a disagreement... however, we are all human...

Communication is also non verbal & often the way we approach a complaint makes all the difference... and even though you maybe in the right, technically, the thread does make me wonder :unsure:

...and in this case, the receptionist obviously felt she hadn't done as well as she could have.
So again I do wonder what all the fuss is about?
I agree the customer is not always right, but it is about managing the situation professionally.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I agree the customer is not always right, but it is about managing the situation professionally.
In an ideal world, of course - but we are all human and it's very hard to act against human nature despite any amount of training...
How can I say this diplomatically :unsure:?
If a customer comes across overly assertive, fight or flight is a natural reaction...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think that having seen the discrepancy between what they had recorded as the booking and the confirmation you received, it would have been diplomatic and reassuring of the management, not just the receptionist, to have said something like

'We see there was a glitch in our system and we will look into it and ensure it does not affect bookings in future, including your next one, when we hope to greet you without problems.'

Geoff

JJ

Mágica
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As far as I can tell, a mistake was made... one and a half apologies received and, assuming they paid the £4 back, no harm done.

I wonder if they have had loads and loads of mistakes made by their customers in the past when getting online bookings... might explain why they were so quick to lay the blame with you.

Even I have made a mistake once in the dim and distant past (I think). :whistle:

JJ :cool:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hmm, perhaps the cynical side of me but policy implementation like that is very often down to the owner and their direction.
Again, cynically, I see two options for your visit from the receptionist, firstly they were genuinely remorseful and know how awkward the owner is but have been given no flexibility by the owner, secondly, the owner has said if we get another bad review (can't believe this is the first from my perception of your experience), then you are down the road so go and apologise and make it look good.
The receptionist is probably paid buttons and us in an area where jobs are hard to get.
It's your decision, I would make sure I gave the receptionist a big plus in any review, one that they could use to support them if it comes to it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Why do campsite owners keep adding reasons like this not to visit their sites to reasons like dogs, feral kids, lack of choice of pitch/direction, pegs, wardens, noisy neighbours, footballs - I could go on with the lists I have read.

Then these campsite owners try to force the local councils to bar all MH parking except at their sites.

Geoff

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Last time I was at Potts Corner (CMC) I noticed a sign saying "Please pull forward" so I did, the Barrier was up so I went past it.

Into Reception, greeted with a snide remark "Didn't you do well!" I picked up the anti-me at once.
"Yes" I said "and I never hit anything either, Lucky me!"
"You are not supposed to enter the site till you've booked in!"
"The sign says Please pull forward, I did"
"But only as far as the barrier"
"The sign only says Please pull forward, it doesn,t mention the barrier, which was up by the way!"

The irritated look, the eyes raised in exasperation, a sad sigh, then through gritted teeth, "You are only supposed to draw up to the barrier!!"
"But it doesn't say that on the sign! and the barrier was up, you should have a sign on the barrier saying please stop here. Ay?"

By now of course I was enjoying myself,

"Well you should have known!"
"If there was a sign saying that I would have known!"
" It's nothing to laugh about!"
"I'm not laughing, I'm smiling nicely"

"Name! Membership card!"
I paid, had a lecture about where the white marker should be when parking up.
I stood there after she'd finished, "What?" she said
"Don't I get the token that knocks a quid off the bill at the Pub?

I think if she was allowed to, I would have lost me virginity by her sticking the Voucher somewhere naughty!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It all depends on if you got the £4 back.... I could live on the £4 for two days in Spain .....:D2

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not so. All I have done is written this post (so far) and I have not identified the site.
Fair comment.

Your report here forms a good basis for any review you may decide to leave, which is what I was really getting at. Bad wording by me.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My favourite about customer service relates to an incident perhaps 20 ago. A customer was queuing to collect a ticket for a ferry, the customer in front was buying a ticket. The price of the desk sale was some £100 less than the customer queuing had to pay.
She asked for a reduction and when none was offered cancelled her ticket and demanded to buy a ticket at the lower price. In that instant, a customer beside her was relieved when the sailing suddenly opened up and he was able to travel. Our disgruntled customer was unable to purchase a new ticket and was most unhappy. Whose fault was this, hers or ours?

ctc

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Why do people go abroad when its such fun here?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Why do people go abroad when its such fun here?
Better weather maybe.
Different scenery.
Different architecture.
Different culture.
A change is as good as a rest,maybe.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Two wheel job towed.
Exp
Since 2004
The customer is always right , the attitude was totally wrong even if you had made the mistake..... I would not go back and let them know why irrespective of the apology.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back