Mounting Poynting Antenna Through Roof Grommet or Similar? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Is the 410mhz range used for cellular/lte comms? I’ve no clue, maybe the following note isn’t applicable to the UK?…

says they are, screen shot taken from the one i am thinking of getting, also the gain is much better on this one as well compared to the round puck type one. Interesting article though as from that i dont need it which then makes the round one much better for my needs and cheaper apart from the gain that is which may be critical (not sure on this)

1710331011157.png

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Hi, its not the cable i am referring too its the underneath of the actual antenna itself

see here
Do people sikaflex the actual antenna underneath where the sticky pad is or just around the outside once stuck to the roof?
zac the sticky pad supplied with the Poynting Mimo antenna covers the whole base of the antenna and provided the roof surface is thoroughly cleaned, it should stop any moisture ingress. For a belt and braces approach you could run a bead of sikaflex around the perimeter of the antenna base.

• Informative
Reactions: zac

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
says they are, screen shot taken from the one i am thinking of getting, also the gain is much better on this one as well compared to the round puck type one. Interesting article though as from that i dont need it which then makes the round one much better for my needs and cheaper apart from the gain that is which may be critical (not sure on this)

View attachment 874790
We've currently got both a round Poynting Puck and a MIMO-3-V2-12 and both work well in semi / urban areas however the Puck does struggle in some rural locations we regularly go to (eg D&G / NW Scotland) depending upon signal strength hence the reason we got the latter.

The reason for this is the lower gain the Puck has on the 800MHz frequency which is used extensively in UK rural areas, -1dBi vs 3.5dBi.

• Informative
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We've currently got both a round Poynting Puck and a MIMO-3-V2-12 and both work well in semi / urban areas however the Puck does struggle in some rural locations we regularly go to (eg D&G / NW Scotland) depending upon signal strength hence the reason we got the latter.

The reason for this is the lower gain the Puck has on the 800MHz frequency which is used extensively in UK rural areas, -1dBi vs 3.5dBi.
from what i can see there is no gain with the newer v4 antenna which is why i started to consider the previous one.

this is from the v4 antenna which says gain only achieved above 1427mhz and not on the lower bands like in the v3 antenna

1710334070174.png

1710333841301.png

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
from what i can see there is no gain with the newer v4 antenna which is why i started to consider the previous one.

this is from the v4 antenna which says gain only achieved above 1427mhz and not on the lower bands like in the v3 antenna

View attachment 874806

View attachment 874801
The v4 wasn't out when we got ours but if it had been we'd have been looking for a v3 like yourself given the above. v3 spec below followed by the Puck.

1710334384530.png

1710334351997.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Zac is a good friend of ours....when Zac has a project, he investigates it like no others can, he puts his case over well, he is very passionate about what he wants and how to achieve it...I personally find his posts to be so interesting, even if the subject matter is if no great interest to me...but I always learn something from a Zac posting...👍🥳🇪🇦

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
This comparison video also suggests the Poynting MIMO 3 is better for rural/remote conditions and the MIMO 4 is better for town/city use…

watched that last week which is why i started to investigate the bands and gains, there is so much information though it's like brain overload :(

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
watched that last week which is why i started to investigate the bands and gains, there is so much information though it's like brain overload :(
I think you’re on the money there. I’ve been mentally swinging between the MIMO 3 & 4, but now further to this thread and that video comparison, I think the MIMO 3 is the one to get.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I think you’re on the money there. I’ve been mentally swinging between the MIMO 3 & 4, but now further to this thread and that video comparison, I think the MIMO 3 is the one to get.
I had originally decided on getting the new v4 but like you i switched to the v3 , had it been in stock i would of just brought it but because its out of stock all this extra time checking is not helping me lol :) , still with the EXPLOREVAN discount code on solwise at least it will be cheaper than anyone else has it when it does come in stock
The RUTX50 has more options than the internet lol thats going to be another headache :) but i dont mind that as working in I.T helps and that will be interesting.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had originally decided on getting the new v4 but like you i switched to the v3 , had it been in stock i would of just brought it but because its out of stock all this extra time checking is not helping me lol :) , still with the EXPLOREVAN discount code on solwise at least it will be cheaper than anyone else has it when it does come in stock
The RUTX50 has more options than the internet lol thats going to be another headache :) but i dont mind that as working in I.T helps and that will be interesting.
I might have to steal your RUTX50 settings when you’ve finished configuring then! ;)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The one thing i do like about the RUTX50 is the ability to have multiple SSID's so i don't have to reconfigure all my wifi device's again as i can set one SSID up as the old name and password and then another with new settings and passwords or i could just leave it at the old one. Very handy :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Zac is a good friend of ours....when Zac has a project, he investigates it like no others can, he puts his case over well, he is very passionate about what he wants and how to achieve it...I personally find his posts to be so interesting, even if the subject matter is if no great interest to me...but I always learn something from a Zac posting...👍🥳🇪🇦
Compliments are always welcome :)

I hope you are both well.

Apr 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
zac I mounted my Poynting Mimo on a fabricated aluminium 'top hat' bracket attached to the roof with sikaflex and ran the cables to an existing cable entry box that was conveniently installed by the coach-built manufacturer.

Photo of the roof attached, Mimo antenna on LHS of roof.

Maybe this would work for you?View attachment 872024
Can I ask where you got the top hat bracket for the aerial from please?

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Can I ask where you got the top hat bracket for the aerial from please?
I made it out of 1.5mm aluminium sheet. I think I sourced a suitable size sheet from Amazon and bent the profiles using alloy 90 degree angle in my workshop vise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back