Motorway tolls charges France,Spain and Portugal (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi
I’m traveling to Portugal in February and my motorhome is rated above 3.5 t ( its 4.1t ) and its height is above 3 meters ( 3.3 m with roof box )
I understand that I cannot get a tag for any of these countries motorways . Can anyone advise if the toll charges are greater due to being over those limits of 3.5t and 3 m height .
Thanks

Feb 16, 2020
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Yes! We are a tag axle, 5.7t, 3.1m tall and are charged class 4 on most motorways, so we try and avoid!!!

There was a thread about a 'Mango' toll tag a little while ago that allowed larger / heavier motorhomes to use. Maybe use the search button on here and type in Mango - then you should find it and lots of useful info. Sadly, the thread appeared after we had left the UK so will probably apply for a Mango toll tag when back in UK in May/June

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Yes! We are a tag axle, 5.7t, 3.1m tall and are charged class 4 on most motorways, so we try and avoid!!!

There was a thread about a 'Mango' toll tag a little while ago that allowed larger / heavier motorhomes to use. Maybe use the search button on here and type in Mango - then you should find it and lots of useful info. Sadly, the thread appeared after we had left the UK so will probably apply for a Mango toll tag when back in UK in May/June

Hope this helps!
Thanks
I will also avoid the motorways . I set the satnav to avoid and there seems to be reasonable roads running adjacent to them . Also don’t have to go far from them to pick up fuel .
Out of interest do you have similar problem in Spain and Portugal

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Even with the mango toll tag it's still very expensive, we are 5T and a tag axle and towed a small car trailer when we came up through france a couple of weeks ago after our Santander ferry was delayed and we went through 20 tolls just South of Bordeaux to Calais at over 150 euros as class2 using the mango plus the cost of diesel which is very expensive in France on the motorways at over 2 euros a litre everywhere. Portsmouth to Santander and vice versa for us is cheaper and you dont have to drive 600+ miles to get through France to warmer weather but if you do this is what its going to cost if you dont avoid the toll roads which we didn't have time to do.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks
I will also avoid the motorways . I set the satnav to avoid and there seems to be reasonable roads running adjacent to them . Also don’t have to go far from them to pick up fuel .
Out of interest do you have similar problem in Spain and Portugal
Spanish and Portuguese tolls aren't as expensive as France so less of an issue. Do you know that many of the maps and atlases show which roads are tolled or not? It's really not a good idea to blindly follow the satnav as it can lead you to all sorts of hazards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks
We have the time so will avoid motorways . Good to get first hand advice and experience .

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
tolls.eu is a useful website with info about various countries, tolls and motorway networks.
Here in Portugal it is the height above the first axle that determines which class your vehicle belongs to. We are a pvc and are in class 2. Class 1 being cars and motorbikes.
I’m fairly sure there are a couple of companies in the UK that you can get toll tags/transponders from that cover France, Spain and Portugal that other motorhomers have used although I can’t remember the names of the companies?
Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction …. 🤞
Failing that, set your satnav to “no tolls” - I don’t think there is anywhere in Portugal that you can’t get to on non-tolled roads, it might just take a little longer to get there 🤭

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Spanish and Portuguese tolls aren't as expensive as France so less of an issue. Do you know that many of the maps and atlases show which roads are tolled or not? It's really not a good idea to blindly follow the satnav as it can lead you to all sorts of hazards
I have a Philips 2023 big road atlas europe and disappointingly it doesn’t identify toll roads

• Informative
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have a Philips 2023 big road atlas europe and disappointingly it doesn’t identify toll roads
I have the a3 version and that does, Toll motorways have a red stripe and non toll a white one, obviously has the same timelag issue that all books have but a good start for route planning.

This is a great aid for France
Amazon product ASIN 2067258257

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I have the a3 version and that does, Toll motorways have a red stripe and non toll a white one, obviously has the same timelag issue that all books have but a good start for route planning.

This is a great aid for France
Amazon product ASIN 2067258257
Thanks I just had a closer look and now see the red strip in the middle . 👍

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Even with the mango toll tag it's still very expensive, we are 5T and a tag axle and towed a small car trailer when we came up through france a couple of weeks ago after our Santander ferry was delayed and we went through 20 tolls just South of Bordeaux to Calais at over 150 euros as class2 using the mango plus the cost of diesel which is very expensive in France on the motorways at over 2 euros a litre everywhere. Portsmouth to Santander and vice versa for us is cheaper and you dont have to drive 600+ miles to get through France to warmer weather but if you do this is what its going to cost if you dont avoid the toll roads which we didn't have time to do.
Just out of interest what is the ferry charge for your van?🤔

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
I’ve just been on Brittany ferries booking site and one way Portsmouth to Santander is £640 for my motorhome with 2 adults and a dog .
Unfortunately we are not good at sea on lengthy crossings . Doing the sums the ferry would be cheaper . Fortunately we have 10 weeks to do the trip in so will plod along the no toll road route . First stop Saumur so not so bad 😄🍷

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
£241 one way, thats an 8.5m Motorhome and 4m Trailer booking the day before via directferries.com as going to each companies website directly was a lot more for some reason.
I’ve just tried searching on direct ferries but showing fully booked on every date . There may be something wrong with site and I’ll try later

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I’ve just tried searching on direct ferries but showing fully booked on every date . There may be something wrong with site and I’ll try later
interesting as i had the exact same issue when going direct to P&O, no booking available but when i went through Directferries there were loads, it was still expensive though but P&O directly wanted over £350 for one way.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I apologise in advance for what might a stupid question but;

I thought the Mango toll tag was for less than 3.5t and less than3.00mts.
Did you get some other type of Mango tag to allow for your 5t tag axle plus a trailer or did you just wing it?

As a comment, I would imagine by using a motorway would have given your outfit a massive boost to your MPG figures rather than using the D or N roads.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Hope this helps!
Don't bother. Steve and Denise are over 3m high and couldn't get the Mango tag to work in France. Works in Spain, but the rules are different.

Mar 25, 2020
Cumbernauld
Funster No
MH
Hymer transit
Exp
All of 1 week , pre corona

Hope this helps!
Mango dont Seem to be there any more . I applied for a tag but didn’t register it at the time unfortunately . Now I can’t use it

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Don't bother. Steve and Denise are over 3m high and couldn't get the Mango tag to work in France. Works in Spain, but the rules are different.
We found the mango did not work at all for us in France but great in Spain and we are 3.2mtrs high and 6.7t there may be another option for our return we overtook hundreds of lorries but they all caught us up and passed us while we were ********g about at the toll booths, stupid idea🤣

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
I’m traveling to Portugal in February and my motorhome is rated above 3.5 t ( its 4.1t ) and its height is above 3 meters ( 3.3 m with roof box )
I understand that I cannot get a tag for any of these countries motorways . Can anyone advise if the toll charges are greater due to being over those limits of 3.5t and 3 m height .
Thanks
We had to pay class 3 most of the way through France @ 3.2mtrs

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
£241 one way, thats an 8.5m Motorhome and 4m Trailer booking the day before via directferries.com as going to each companies website directly was a lot more for some reason.
£631.30 one way from Santander to Portsmouth including club discount and dog friendly cabin and club lounge. You got a great deal at £241!!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I apologise in advance for what might a stupid question but;

I thought the Mango toll tag was for less than 3.5t and less than3.00mts.
Did you get some other type of Mango tag to allow for your 5t tag axle plus a trailer or did you just wing it?

As a comment, I would imagine by using a motorway would have given your outfit a massive boost to your MPG figures rather than using the D or N roads.

Yes you are of course correct the tags are meant for such vehicles but having the sanef toll tag previously for France and the Bip&Drive one as well for Spain and Portugal and not having issues with it when this Mango one came up that does all 3 countries in one Tag for me it made sense to give a try. I also have one in the car which is not anymore money but it saves remembering to take the one from the MH and put it in the car when travelling around. The Mango tag worked better than the Sanef tag that's for sure but that could be because they were new but nonetheless all barriers opened when challenged.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
From what I can see the French automatic toll booths use height and axle numbers to decide what class you are in. They don't weigh anything.

I have a toll tag and usually follow the trucks because their lanes open the barriers quicker, so no stopping. And I usually piss off the car drivers that had overtaken me by getting through quicker.

Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
Hi
Thanks
France is expensive but very convenient. We have used the péage when the weather has been crap and just accepted the cost but ours is a smaller campervan. Don't worry about Spain and Portugal. Pay when you have to as most of their roads are toll free anyway. We're planning to leave on March 8 for Corsica and Sardinia via Toulon and not planning to use the péage on this occasion. Good luck! Mike

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
£631.30 one way from Santander to Portsmouth including club discount and dog friendly cabin and club lounge. You got a great deal at £241!!
Not so great when you consider 2.2 euros a litre and the 616+ miles and over 150 euros on the tolls plus the £241 boat fare its cheaper and far less stressful on the boat thats for sure, i will take Santander to Portsmouth any day over travelling through France that time of year. Oh and the tolls were even more as that figure is from Bordeaux it does not count the tolls up to Bordeaux.

Saying that if i had time then i would just take a slow drive through France avoiding the tolls where possible as then it doesn't matter, for me though that's a long way off.

Last edited:

Adrian140974

Free Member
Aug 17, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 890
Exp
Try VRIO Europe.com. they do bigger class but you need a Ltd company to register. Just waiting for ours. Not sure if tolls are more expensive for this class (4 i think) but usually everything is. Having done both options, leaving the toll roads with a 9m long motorhome and our TOAD in France is a nightmare, just have to take the hit on the pocket

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not so great when you consider 2.2 euros a litre and the 616+ miles and over 150 euros on the tolls plus the £241 boat fare its cheaper and far less stressful on the boat thats for sure, i will take Santander to Portsmouth any day over travelling through France that time of year. Oh and the tolls were even more as that figure is from Bordeaux it does not count the tolls up to Bordeaux.
Plenty of cheaper options. I use the Fuel Flash app to find them. Just search in the area around the next exit. That is especially so when you are driving through the non tolled parts through large cities like Tours, Orleans or Poutiers.

• Informative
Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Plenty of cheaper options. I use the Fuel Flash app to find them. Just search in the area around the next exit. That is especially so when you are driving through the non tolled parts through large cities like Tours, Orleans or Poutiers.
I am sure you are correct but when you are trying to get to the boat in the least amount of time possible stopping and diverting to find fuel stations is not something i would want to do, it was about convenience which comes at a premium in France, if i had more time then for sure.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am sure you are correct but when you are trying to get to the boat in the least amount of time possible stopping and diverting to find fuel stations is not something i would want to do, it was about convenience which comes at a premium in France, if i had more time then for sure.
That's not my definition of enjoying any trip in the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back