Motorway charges in Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Are you thinking of travelling in Switzerland? if so you will have to pay to use the motorways.:Mad:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tons must buy a Vignette costing 40 Swiss Francs and valid for 14months (caravanners/trailers have to buy two!).

Payment is easy (Euros, Sterling, Credit Cards or Swiss currency accepted. Exchange rate about 2.43 Swiss Francs to the Pound). If you pay for the vignette with Euros or Sterling you will get Swiss Francs in change.

If your motorhome is above the 3500kg weight limit you will need a special permit for one day (3.25 SF), 10 days (32.50), a month (58.50) or a year (650.00).

The vignette can be bought in advance at service areas on main routes approaching the border. If you are over the 3500kg limit you can only get a permit at the border post. If you are travelling mid week be prepared to wait as you use the same counter as the truckers.

When we had the Laika (4200kg) we would buy a 10 days pass to transit Switzerland out and back. The ten days don't have to be taken consecutively, so the pass is good for a return journey too, provided it's within one year.

Excellent value, as the motorways include the 10-mile St Gothard Tunnel through the Alps into Italy!

Safe travelling

Don

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
Eura 810 Tag axle (plus trailer) through Switzerland/Austria?

Hi there - I realise this is an old thread but I am planning a trip to Garda in Sept '08and need to decide - Swiss or Austrian route...

We are planning on Dunkirk, Luxembourg, Germany etc etc on the way South.

We are heavier than 3500Kg and will pull a trailer (with the motorbike in.)

We do not plan specifically to stop-over in either country (CH or A) - but - depending on restrictions/benefits - might do that.

So - what's the story?

What are the relative costs/benefits for getting from Germany to Italy - via Switzerland in one hit - against via Austria in one hit.

Then - same question - but with a 2 day stop-over in either country . (disregard overnight costs - this is part of the adventure...) - does this make a difference on road tolls?

We will be in Italia for a week and will probably come back through "La Belle France" - 'cos we can...

Can anyone help us with the best (cheapest) options?

Cheers

Dave

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Dave,

To transit Switzerland it will cost you SF32.50 (about £17.20) for a ten day pass, you will use one day out and one day back. Just make sure you put the dates in that you are travelling.

For Austria you will need to buy a "Go Box" and pay per kilometre I don't have the cost but full details at Link Removed

Personally I think the Swiss option is the best and the cheapest.:thumb: If you go through Switzerland you will need a GB sticker (the GB number plate will not do) as Switzerland is not in the EU.

The route we use to Italy is Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Basel, St Gothard Tunnel. You would then go via Milan, Bergamo, Brescia and Lake Garda.

I hope this helps.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Harley Dave

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Overton, Hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
<1
Thanks Don

Thanks for that Don

Mind made up now - Switzerland it is - and good point about the GB sticker(s)

Cheers

Dave

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swiss touring

Hi

I think you will make an additional payment for the trailer. I can't find my blank Swiss toll forms to check this.

Russell

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi

I think you will make an additional payment for the trailer. I can't find my blank Swiss toll forms to check this.

Russell

Russell,

I think you will find that a trailer is included unless it has changed recently.

Don

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
Hi Dave,

Personally I think the Swiss option is the best and the cheapest.:thumb: If you go through Switzerland you will need a GB sticker (the GB number plate will not do) as Switzerland is not in the EU.

I hope this helps.

Don

I think so to, going via Austria will not only incur the cost of the Vignette, but also the 8 euro toll for the Austrian section of the Brenner Pass Autobahn followed by Italian tolls on their section of the Autorada.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
In Garda at the moment we had our vinette from the uk however we are over 3500 so had to buy the 10 day one at the border. You do need an extra one for a trailer. Swiss route is a good route. Here till early sept.

Lampie

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Lampie,

Thanks for the info, I thought the over 3500kg permit included a trailer,another senior moment.:Blush::Blush:

When you bought the over 3500kg permit did you pay an extra charge for the trailer or did you have to buy the SF40 vignette?

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.:thumb:

Don

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swiss tolls

Hi

When I had a motorhome that was charged at 40 SFR per year, I was also charged another 40 SFF for the car on the A frame!

Russell

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Vignettes and Go Boxes and all that jazz

Hi all,
I have a 4000kg van and I presume that I will have to declare that weight, or, do they weigh your vehicle. Never been to Switzerland or Austria and would like to give it a try. Let me know, please. Thanks. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi Decmac,

I'm not familiar with Austria but in Switzerland the border guards seem to be able to sniff out motorhomes over 3500kg. :Eeek: If you know you are over the 3500kg just stop and buy the permit at the border.:thumb:

In Austria it is down to you to buy a Go Box, make sure you know where your vin plate is and make sure it's clean so it can easily be read.:thumb:

Also make sure you have your V5C (Vehicle Registration Certificate) with you.:thumb:

If you are travelling through Germany remember the speed limit for motorhomes over 3500kg is 100kph unless a lower limit is in force.:Eeek:

Have a good trip.:thumb:

Don

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Last year i just bought the vinnette thing on web from swiss embassy and had no problem, this year they seemed to be stoping everyone at the border, I was asked my weight, told the vinette I had was wrong and had to buy the 10 day one at the border, happy with that now you know thats fine, last year was not questioned and they did look at the windscreen for it.

Still a good system I think. all the way to garda and no tolls except the small ones in Italy. Moved on the Venice area now for a week and then back to garda.

Regards

lampie

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swiss tolls

Hi

First time through Switzerland was in a Compass Avantgarde - van weighed about 3000 kg. I was stopped at the French/Swiss border and the staff sold me a sticker at 40 SFR.

Next van through was a Kontiki 4000kg thing. I had already prefilled in an annual form as I was aware the van was over 3500kg. I was never asked the weight and I was sold the same sticker as above. The Corsa was on the A frame and they stung me for another 40 SFR for that

Third van through was the TAG axle Kontiki - 5000kg. I was asked if the van was over 3500kg and then directed to the office to fill in a form. I had already done this as I always have a load of the blank forms. I opted for 10 trips for 32.50 SFR within a 12 month period.

Next trip through - still in the same Kontiki, and with the 10 trip toll purchased - I passed my form to the border staff to be told the "formula had changed" and to go to the office for a new style form. It turned out my form was correct, the formula and charges had changed only for coaches and lorries.

Russell

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I know this is an Old thread, but, We are thinking on Switzerland in a couple of weeks, a run through the Alps down to Lake Geneva. Do you have to pay even if you do not intend on using motorways? is it just for Motorways? are the roads decent enough for Motorhomes.? we are 4.2 tonne.

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi

If you are over 3500kgs the 10 day permit will cost you 32.5 Swiss Francs payable at the Border Crossing.

You need it for all roads in Switzerland and the form you get has ten day/date boxes which you must complete for each day you are in Switzerland. It is valid for a year. The form states:

"Cancellation by the driver; before entering Switzerland and prior to each supplementary day during which the vehicle is staying in Switzerland; enter the day and the date, e.g Tuesday 26.08.08."

The 10 days therefore includes any non-driving days.

The procedure at the Border Crossing is very efficient and you can pay cash or using a credit card. You will need your V5 registration document.

We have not long returned from Italy, down through the St Gottard Tunnel as it was peeing down and visibility was poor and back over the Pass on our return. The roads are fantastic though, after the St Gottard we went over the Susten Pass...stunning.

32.5 Swiss Francs is an absolute bargain especially as the French Toll to go through the Sainte Marie aux Mines Tunnel on our way to Colmar was 34.7 Euros one way!

A swift check in the rear view mirror, rapid fire into reverse gear and and alternative route was chosen PDQ.

Damm those French electronic measuring devices and their unmanned toll booths!

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry, forgot the question about the roads;

Simply superb, excellent surfaces and signs and no probs at all for our 8m, 5 tonne van.

Just check that your brakes are up to scratch, main and handbrake, as coming down the Pass's is much quicker than going up!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Damm those French electronic measuring devices and their unmanned toll booths!

When we are in this position we just press the call button and tell them we have been overcharged. They always return us to a class 2 :thumb:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Its worked in the past:Smile: but sadly we are Class 3 and that meant 34.7 Euros.

The very nice lady at the end of the intercomm said "Sorry you are 5000kgs and over 3.2m high so pay or, as it is clear, reverse out."

As there was nothing behind we did, and for 10 Euro's less, travelled over 500 kms in Switzerland on quite stunning mountain roads and tunnels.

The French tunnel is 7kms long!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Dave,

To transit Switzerland it will cost you SF32.50 (about £17.20) for a ten day pass, you will use one day out and one day back. Just make sure you put the dates in that you are travelling.
Personally I think the Swiss option is the best and the cheapest.:thumb:
The route we use to Italy is Luxembourg, Strasbourg, Basel, St Gothard Tunnel. You would then go via Milan, Bergamo, Brescia and Lake Garda.

Don
We went with Hilldweller on the above route and it is a bargain! The price we paid at the Swiss border included the St Gottard tunnel plus a few cheap tolls in Italy, cost for our 4 tonne was about £39 I think. But Dave wanted to come home through France so we went through the Mont Blanc tunnel and that alone was 48Euros, I think. Total cost through France worked out on the motorways at 239 Euros as compared to the Swiss route. No brainer really.
We were lucky as From Reims the peage operators were on strike and we were waved through!
Lucille

Torremontessori

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Motor home
Exp
A trip to switzerland

Hi everyone , I know this is a old post but was reading it for some advice. We are planning to do a trip to Switzerland this summer (AUGUST) just wondered if anyone could recommend a route. Do we go via Belgium , Luxembourg , Germany ? on the way there then back up through France, with no toll roads. Any advice would be gratefully received.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back