Motorhoming mood swings (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
Excited as I travelled to pick up brand new Motorhome. Excitement faded at handover,as during the process it was found to be missing the locking wheel nut adaptor, don’t worry we will post a new one on ok not ideal but acceptable. Next when I enquired about registering the tracker I had ordered told when you get home just phone and register.
Not the best but hey I’ve got my new toy so what. Got home had a call from the dealer saying that the wheel nut issue was not as straightforward as they thought is so much as the nuts all need to be replaced with a matching key adaptor which would need to be done by a Ford main dealer but rather than travel back to them could I go to a dealer local to myself get it done and send them the invoice and they would reimburse me.
Not ideal but not the end of the world.
Next morning phone the tracker people to register only to be told that there is not one fitted to the van. Not happy insurance company want the details as it was a condition of the policy. So call the dealer full of apologies, it was a Friday so they said they would get an engineer to on Monday to sort it out which they did again saving me 140 mile round trip.At this point feel a bit better.
So off to the Ford dealer to sort the wheel nut issue where told no problem it would only take them an hour,but they could not do anything for3 weeks, thought about it but as I was not going anywhere for 4 weeks,but still a bit miffed at having all this grief with a brand new van.
Fast forward the van was booked in for a Thursday and we were due to go away at the end of the following week took a call on the Wednesday from the Ford garage cancelling the appointment due to staff sickness,but agreed after I told them I was going away agreed to an appointment at 11 on the Monday,again not the end of the world.
Go on the Monday at 11 and was asked if I could leave it with them to which I said as I have a timed appointment and it will only take an hour I will wait.
Whilst sat there in reception I witness a few customers complaining about the service that had received, 1 o’clock the guy on reception asks me to follow him outside.I immediately smelt a rat as true enough as soon as we were out of earshot of the people he revealed that there was an issue as they had hit the rear of the van.
Full of apologies, anyway look at van rear corner ,light cluster and rear bumper all damaged.All things I surprised myself how calm I remained and said shit happens.
He them takes me to his managers office who again was full of apologies and assured me they will sort it out. He said they look after a Motorhome hire company fleet and they would use their body shop guy to repair it.
To which I point out that I was not happy with that as it may affect my warranty if there are issues later with damp, but we agreed I would speak with the supplying dealer and take his advice with regard to the warranty issue but would expect them to use them if necessary.
Spoke to the dealer and he confirmed my concerns. Go back to Ford and ask them to instruct the repairs but now the attitude seems to have changed now I have left and was told that I would need to get a quote for the works. Now well and truly peed off.
Anyway Friday comes and we are away in the van with our two daughters son in law and Grandaughter for long weekend for a birthday celebration inStratford upon Avon. Both daughters have over 30 year old vans and never seem to have the problems that seem to follow me. Anyway a great weekend and Iam back on a high.
Get home Monday feeling good after the weekend and the quote from the supplying dealer has arrived so I email it on asking Ford how they wish to proceed.
Needless to say no response as yet back with the hump
Rant over

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Think I would be inclined to park it back at the the supplying dealership , telling them that this is all of their making , they can sort it out and in the meantime supply a replacement vehicle until it is sorted! Got Luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
This would try the patience of a saint. All for the sake of a locking wheel nut adaptor. Then to discover that they failed to fit a tracker when your insurance insist on having one, shocking. Things can only get better.
The only advice I can offer is don't buy a Lottery ticket ;)

OP
OP
V
Jun 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam746
This would try the patience of a saint. All for the sake of a locking wheel nut adaptor. Then to discover that they failed to fit a tracker when your insurance insist on having one, shocking. Things can only get better.
The only advice I can offer is don't buy a Lottery ticket ;)
As it goes whilst in Stratford one daughter and son in law had the winner of the National and I had third on an each way bet, it’s the little things that cheer you up

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Excited as I travelled to pick up brand new Motorhome. Excitement faded at handover,as during the process it was found to be missing the locking wheel nut adaptor, don’t worry we will post a new one on ok not ideal but acceptable. Next when I enquired about registering the tracker I had ordered told when you get home just phone and register.
Not the best but hey I’ve got my new toy so what. Got home had a call from the dealer saying that the wheel nut issue was not as straightforward as they thought is so much as the nuts all need to be replaced with a matching key adaptor which would need to be done by a Ford main dealer but rather than travel back to them could I go to a dealer local to myself get it done and send them the invoice and they would reimburse me.
Not ideal but not the end of the world.
Next morning phone the tracker people to register only to be told that there is not one fitted to the van. Not happy insurance company want the details as it was a condition of the policy. So call the dealer full of apologies, it was a Friday so they said they would get an engineer to on Monday to sort it out which they did again saving me 140 mile round trip.At this point feel a bit better.
So off to the Ford dealer to sort the wheel nut issue where told no problem it would only take them an hour,but they could not do anything for3 weeks, thought about it but as I was not going anywhere for 4 weeks,but still a bit miffed at having all this grief with a brand new van.
Fast forward the van was booked in for a Thursday and we were due to go away at the end of the following week took a call on the Wednesday from the Ford garage cancelling the appointment due to staff sickness,but agreed after I told them I was going away agreed to an appointment at 11 on the Monday,again not the end of the world.
Go on the Monday at 11 and was asked if I could leave it with them to which I said as I have a timed appointment and it will only take an hour I will wait.
Whilst sat there in reception I witness a few customers complaining about the service that had received, 1 o’clock the guy on reception asks me to follow him outside.I immediately smelt a rat as true enough as soon as we were out of earshot of the people he revealed that there was an issue as they had hit the rear of the van.
Full of apologies, anyway look at van rear corner ,light cluster and rear bumper all damaged.All things I surprised myself how calm I remained and said shit happens.
He them takes me to his managers office who again was full of apologies and assured me they will sort it out. He said they look after a Motorhome hire company fleet and they would use their body shop guy to repair it.
To which I point out that I was not happy with that as it may affect my warranty if there are issues later with damp, but we agreed I would speak with the supplying dealer and take his advice with regard to the warranty issue but would expect them to use them if necessary.
Spoke to the dealer and he confirmed my concerns. Go back to Ford and ask them to instruct the repairs but now the attitude seems to have changed now I have left and was told that I would need to get a quote for the works. Now well and truly peed off.
Anyway Friday comes and we are away in the van with our two daughters son in law and Grandaughter for long weekend for a birthday celebration inStratford upon Avon. Both daughters have over 30 year old vans and never seem to have the problems that seem to follow me. Anyway a great weekend and Iam back on a high.
Get home Monday feeling good after the weekend and the quote from the supplying dealer has arrived so I email it on asking Ford how they wish to proceed.
Needless to say no response as yet back with the hump
Rant over
As we said last night, Colin. It just about sums up the apathy, and lack of care and attention that seems to be quite prevalent in the leisure vehicle industry. Keep smiling! 👍

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Sounds like a nightmare. Sorry to hear. I'd insist Ford pay fully for a repair from the best motorhome repair place you can find and one that will be satisfactory for the motorhome manufacturers warranty.

Personally I would scrap the locking wheel nuts to stop any future problems. No one nicks wheels any more and particularly from motorhomes. I don't imagine they are flash thief tempting wheels on a motorhome.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What a bummer sorry to hear about your problems.
Can't believe your supplying dealer couldn't sort the wheels nuts, it only takes seconds to remove them without the key ask any toe rag.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Really do feel for the OP and is a good reminder to us all of not removing the new purchase off the supplying dealers forecourt until a full "personal PDI" is done by the buyer.

The adapter for the locking nuts is "keyed" to each specific set of nuts (albeit it there will be an x in 100 variations) so how the supplying dealer was going to identify and source a replacement would be concerning. They should have been around to the local Ford dealership to source a new set. Removal of the existing set ain't that hard!

Tracker should have been registered by the dealer, in the buyer's name, and fully tested at handover as it's the only way the dealer could ensure it was working correctly.

Don't let your trials and tribulations take the shine off the new purchase. You'll get there in the end!(y)

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Feel for you...

I wouldn't mess around, I'd e-mail them (the Ford dealership) informing them if they don't sort it toot suite you'll instruct a solicitor and be claiming his/her costs too.

Cheers
Red.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Considering any tyre place will have special wheel nut removers, I can't see why the messing about by dealer and Ford. Simply take out locking bolts with universal socket and replace. As for the damage, it's a brand new vehicle, so a cheap repair is not an option. It needs all new parts ordering and fitting or the vehicle is devalued

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Every time I consider an upgrade something like this happens.

I would not be so calm or reasonable.
I'd be at the dealers throwing a tantrum that would put a toddler to shame.

Hope it's sorted to your satisfaction quickly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back