Motorhomes not welcome at theBowgie Inn in Crantock, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Liquorice66

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Zelah, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
My partnef was out ycling with a mate today and they stopped off at the bowgie for a beer. They were quarter full and so when they sat down they were told they had to book and they said we only want a beer please and if anyone want's to eat we can leave but still they said no we are fully booked. On leaving the premises there was a big sign on the entrance to the car park saying " No Motorhomes". We live in Cornwall and love the pub but will not be going back.

P Jones

Free Member
Apr 15, 2017
Retford
Funster No
MH
ci carioca 694
Exp
My partnef was out ycling with a mate today and they stopped off at the bowgie for a beer. They were quarter full and so when they sat down they were told they had to book and they said we only want a beer please and if anyone want's to eat we can leave but still they said no we are fully booked. On leaving the premises there was a big sign on the entrance to the car park saying " No Motorhomes". We live in Cornwall and love the pub but will not be going back.
it is miss a bull .oh here we go.be carful now all you pubs. sooner or later. you may need two fingers. to open the gates. ok.pj.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The sign was probably for the time they were closed ...and going by the crazy people on the news queing for Primark they probably were fully booked for food

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I get this constantly. Just because there is a table it doesn't mean the kitchen (probably reduced staff due to having to distance in a small kitchen) are not working at full output capacity. Chefs can only cook so much at once.

And just because a table is empty it doesn't mean it isn't booked for a the next party to sit at it sooner than you could be seated and fed at it.

And we cannot have bookings stood around waiting for you to vacate anymore. Bums on seats unless you're going to the loo is a must.

Also tables must be sanitised between each party. For our company this means leaving a table sprayed with virus killing spray for at least ten minutes.

It's a bloody hard busines anyway. Add into the mix outdoors only, and the risk that poses - spend £6K on food and it rains, nobody comes to eat it and it al goes in the bin. Might as well take you're money out the bank and have a bonfire.

It's also the first day dealing with rules that have changed... yet again. Just after we had got used to the last change. Staff need to adjust again.

We need to cut pubs some slack. I'm sure things will be better again given time and patience.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
On a similar note some years back after a visit to the NEC motorhome show we stopped in a village pub car park somewhere in the Midlands and went in the pub for a drink and a meal .The pub was empty and the dining area which had at least 40 tables in it were all empty ,I asked to see the menu and the young girl said have you booked a table ? ,I said no so she said I’ll try and squeeze you in I thought she was joking but 20 minutes later the place was packed to the rafters and we had our meal in the bar. 🥸

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I'm afraid it's the way it is at the moment with Covid restrictions. We have had to book a table in the pub garden at Lerryn for us and some friends this week.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The pub carpark has superb views, I'd imagine if they allowed in one motorhome, the place would be full within hours!
It's not like the area is short of campsites, there are two within walking distance of the pub.

I would guess the local council have banned motorhome parking, and both the local council car parks have had 'no overnight parking' signs for years

Remember, as its close to Newquay, the entire area has had an issue with the surf culture and campervans for years.

As for booking ahead - that's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future.
You can not just decide to pop in for a quick pint at a pub anymore, you have to book in and get your two hour slot.
Here in London, the few pubs that have outside space, are booked up for the next couple of weeks.

No booking = No beer.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Remember, as its close to Newquay, the entire area has had an issue with the surf culture and campervans for years.
Just as a point of order Brains it isn't the surf culture that causes problems in Newquay it is the party scene which rarely has anything to do with surfers or surfing at all. You will find most real surfers are really only interested in enjoying their sport in peace in unpolluted waters so are also not the people leaving trash everywhere. They get equally hacked off with "yoofs" failing to follow any codes and acting like animals. Van parking is a whole different issue of course and one the Council are currently working on solving.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just as a point of order Brains it isn't the surf culture that causes problems in Newquay it is the party scene which rarely has anything to do with surfers or surfing at all. You will find most real surfers are really only interested in enjoying their sport in peace in unpolluted waters so are also not the people leaving trash everywhere. They get equally hacked off with "yoofs" failing to follow any codes and acting like animals. Van parking is a whole different issue of course and one the Council are currently working on solving.

Point made. ;)

(I'm originally from the Bodmin area, and Nephew number 3 is a surfer, mostly at Trebarwith/Polzeath)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There was a time when you could overnight in their carpark, (pre Cv19) Seem to remember they had to put the mockers on it because some M/Homers were taking the wee wee, "illegal" waste disdposal etc

Lot of water under the bridge since I was there last, don't know how long the present owner has been there, perhaps she put a stop to overnighting.

Marchinglobsters

Free Member
Oct 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Addria
Exp
There was a time when you could overnight in their carpark, (pre Cv19) Seem to remember they had to put the mockers on it because some M/Homers were taking the wee wee, "illegal" waste disdposal etc

Lot of water under the bridge since I was there last, don't know how long the present owner has been there, perhaps she put a stop to overnighting.
To make sweeping statements about surfers I agree is ridiculous they are not the issue it is the party crowd that visit and just don’t care

Nov 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I'm a newbie
During the summer season, Cornwall just does not have the infrastructure to cope with MHs and Caravans which do not stay on recognised sites.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
During the summer season, Cornwall just does not have the infrastructure to cope with MHs and Caravans which do not stay on recognised sites.
During the summer season it does not have the capacity to cope ,full stop.Regardless even if they are all on sites.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We went to Newquay a few years ago for a booked paid for two week break. Me, her and the two girls (10-14) lasted 3 days. The place was a dump. The only things there was getting lathered in cheap bars in trash filled streets. The second completely naked person we saw walking down the street was enough. We uped sticks and drove to the Isle of Wight for the rest of the holiday. Never ever again.
I did send a letter to the local council and got a reply saying they were trying to cut down on the party crowd but were restricted on what they could do.
Calling it a Dump of a place is being unkind to dumps.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Precisely why the Council are carrying out a study to provide aires as on the continent, not for caravans though.
Results expected later this year but hopeful something will be done.

May 30, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2003
It’s had signs up for a couple of years now, only a small car park.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can anyone tell me what is so special about Cornwall that makes people put up with all the crowds and other stuff.
Serious question, we have been a couple of times but have never found anything different than say Wales, Norfolk, or skegy to Whitby.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I get this constantly. Just because there is a table it doesn't mean the kitchen (probably reduced staff due to having to distance in a small kitchen) are not working at full output capacity. Chefs can only cook so much at once.

And just because a table is empty it doesn't mean it isn't booked for a the next party to sit at it sooner than you could be seated and fed at it.

And we cannot have bookings stood around waiting for you to vacate anymore. Bums on seats unless you're going to the loo is a must.

Also tables must be sanitised between each party. For our company this means leaving a table sprayed with virus killing spray for at least ten minutes.

It's a bloody hard busines anyway. Add into the mix outdoors only, and the risk that poses - spend £6K on food and it rains, nobody comes to eat it and it al goes in the bin. Might as well take you're money out the bank and have a bonfire.

It's also the first day dealing with rules that have changed... yet again. Just after we had got used to the last change. Staff need to adjust again.

We need to cut pubs some slack. I'm sure things will be better again given time and patience.
If only there'd been a post explaining what people should expect from pubs over the next few weeks, eh?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The Dales, Lake District, Peak District, Wales and others equally as attractive as D&C. These will be the places we will look for sites when we have been released and free.

Jan 15, 2019
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
1 year
Get a carry out a lot better

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Can anyone tell me what is so special about Cornwall that makes people put up with all the crowds and other stuff.
Serious question, we have been a couple of times but have never found anything different than say Wales, Norfolk, or skegy to Whitby.
The weather!
It's the sunniest and warmest part of the UK.

It also has stunning scenery, arguably on par with the Lake District, but with far better weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back