MotorhomeFun is getting a glossy (Digital) Magazine (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sounds great Jim... (y)

If you do have a joke section...... here is one of my all time favourites that I have posted loads of times before... But..

I don`t give a toss.... :giggler:

Story about the bond formed between a little girl and some builders?

The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in
all the activity going on next door and started talking with the
workers.
She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold,
more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot.
They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and
lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do to make her
feel important. They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.
At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope
containing two pounds in 10p coins.
The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that
they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start
a savings account.
When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to
the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and
the fact she had a 'pay packet'.
"You must have worked very hard to earn all this", said the bank
cashier.
The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men
building a big house."
"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the
house again this week, as well?"
The little girl thought for a moment and said ...
"I think so. Provided those *ankers at Jewsons deliver the :swear2:
bricks."
.............................. :doh: :blush: :groan:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would love to see some honest reviews of new motorhomes. Stuck together with staples and spit, beds designed for a hunchbacked dwarf, leaks in a light drizzle, ovens that can only be safely operated by those over 7ft tall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Sounds great Jim... (y)

If you do have a joke section...... here is one of my all time favourites that I have posted loads of times before... But..

I don`t give a toss.... :giggler:

Story about the bond formed between a little girl and some builders?

The young family's 5-year-old daughter naturally took an interest in
all the activity going on next door and started talking with the
workers.
She hung around and eventually the builders, all with hearts of gold,
more or less adopted the little girl as a sort of project mascot.
They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they had tea and
lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do to make her
feel important. They even gave her very own hard hat and gloves.
At the end of the first week they presented her with a pay envelope
containing two pounds in 10p coins.
The little girl took her 'pay' home to her mother who suggested that
they take the money she had received to the bank the next day to start
a savings account.
When they got to the bank the cashier was tickled pink listening to
the little girl telling her about her 'work' on the building site and
the fact she had a 'pay packet'.
"You must have worked very hard to earn all this", said the bank
cashier.
The little girl proudly replied, "I worked all last week with the men
building a big house."
"My goodness gracious," said the cashier, "Will you be working on the
house again this week, as well?"
The little girl thought for a moment and said ...
"I think so. Provided those *ankers at Jewsons deliver the :swear2:
bricks."
.............................. :doh: :blush: :groan:
I was going to give that a ‘funny’ for @old-mo.
Then I thought it best not to encourage him. :D

Richard.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Sounds good and very interesting I dont think I can write well enuff to contribute. But I am willing to test a van if you find me a ghost writer (y)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Good luck with this @Jim

This was my job for years and it was a lot of fun. Hope it goes great and look forward to reading soon :)

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Sounds a superb idea, may go and sharpen my pencil in anticipation of making a teeny contribution... probably about hair and makeup whilst traveling. Me thinks it will only take up a minuscule column. Best of British !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Excellent!!

So glad we joined this brilliant forum. We get value every day, learning from other people’s seemingly endless knowledge.

Now another great benefit is announced.

Thank you.
The banter is just as good as well. Huge source of information; some of it actually useful........ ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good luck Jim, I'm sure it will be a brilliant resource ... let me know if I can help with anything.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We hope to launch the first issue in July. This will be an App based magazine designed to read on your phone or tablet. We’ve spent considerable sums developing both Apple and Android apps to allow anyone anywhere in the world to download the app and read for free. While it will be a club magazine, it will be generic enough to interest every motorhome enthusiast regardless if they are a member.

What will be in it?
I have commissioned a few regular writers to produce interesting content. These include well-known names in motorhome journalism and er.. me. We will also re-purpose content already on MotorhomeFun, and some members will be paid to contribute too. We will commission all sorts of reviews where Funsters can contribute and often earn money doing so. These will include reviews of vans, sites, kit and travels. One of the largest dealers in the country has vans ready right now for us to do real world tests and reviews.

So why a magazine when it is so easy to just write articles on our forums?
Two reasons, the first is advertising revenue. We hope that the combination of quality content and being free in all the App stores will make this one of the most read motorhome magazines making advertising space in the magazine valuable.

A recruiting magnet
The second is that the magazine will act as a signpost to MotorhomeFun. Back of fag-packet calculations reveal that while Motorhomefun might be one of the largest collection of motorhome enthusiasts in one place; we account for less than 10% of Motorhome owners. So 9 out of 10 motorhome owners have either never heard of MotorhomeFun or choose not to look in here.

The magazine should be a good driver of membership. We have always enjoyed year on year membership increases but many other forums have not; they have been beaten into submission by Facebook Groups. My aim is that MotorhomeFun Magazine will become a shining light pointing at motorhomefun, ensuring that this place remains the best place to be if you are a motorhome enthusiast.

If you are interested in contributing, if you have any ideas for content, or how the magazine might succeed, do let me know. Meanwhile Watch this space . (y)

View attachment 293089
Outstanding

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
No doubt a lot of work involved. Will you become the man who never sleeps?:sleep:

It's a crazy amount of work just to get this far. Producing the content will be so much harder and non stop! Our editions will be far lighter than the big print editions; they need to justify a hefty cover price. So while we won't carry as much content we'll still have to come up with engaging and enlightening stuff. Being free will only take us so far, the content has to be worth the bandwidth or you won't download it.

Each month there will be two separate (almost the same) editions within each issue. A traditional magazine style which will look just like a paper magazine and a free flowing edition. In the magazine edition you'll see a whole page at once and unless you are on a large computer screen you'll have to zoom in to read it. This is how most digital mags are consumed. But we know from motorhomefun analytics that most of us, especially when touring, only use phones or tablets. So a click of a button in the App will switch us to a free flowing mode which will reflow the text to fill the screen of whatever device we are using. The articles won't look as pretty but will make for a perfect reading experience.

I've already had some offers for contributions, if you have something you might like to get in the magazine do shout, it might be a review of your van or a bit of kit or a trip you made. Or maybe you fancy yourself as a roving reporter. We're open to any ideas, shout here or message me privately (y)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Sounds good. Owner reviews would be good for peaple buying second hand.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If it will be available to all it saves us sticking cards under windscreen wipers, I’ve run out now anyway

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Wishing you all the best with it. And I’m certainly interested in contributing - him outdoors and I are keen cooks, especially using bbq & fire, Dutch ovens etc.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Also, I’m an iOS developer, so might be a suitable beta tester? Au fair with TestFlight at least :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There were magazines in years gone by, I am told you’ll understand, that were described as mucky magazines!

Inside these mucky mags, again I was told, they used to have a readers wives section.

Now, whilst I am sure we all would describe our wives as stunning, being a leisure lifestyle magazine, a monthly feature of readers vans, or ‘I’ll show you mine’ would be more appropriate and in some cases less nauseating ;):LOL:

The old fashioned, trite, conventional magazines have for years shown pictures of journalists ‘pretending’ to use motorhomes they blagged for a photo shoot, and us, the readers know that there is no way, that anyone is cooking that meal their posing for, as they are terrified of messing up the van.

So proper motorhomes owned by proper people, showing mods, changes, work around, unreasonable wear, toys added, clever storage solutions

“Readers Vans”

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I've already had some offers for contributions
Sadly, my offer of an article “Touring France in a gimp mask” was rejected...........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There were magazines in years gone by, I am told you’ll understand, that were described as mucky magazines!

Inside these mucky mags, again I was told, they used to have a readers wives section.

Now, whilst I am sure we all would describe our wives as stunning, being a leisure lifestyle magazine, a monthly feature of readers vans, or ‘I’ll show you mine’ would be more appropriate and in some cases less nauseating ;):LOL:

The old fashioned, trite, conventional magazines have for years shown pictures of journalists ‘pretending’ to use motorhomes they blagged for a photo shoot, and us, the readers know that there is no way that anyone is cooking that meal their posing for as they are terrified of messing up the van.

So proper motorhomes owned by proper people, showing mods, changes, work around, unreasonable wear, toys added, clever storage solutions

“Readers Vans”
No inside pictures of JJ’s van, though. Haven’t had breakfast yet.... ;)

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Reviews on used/older MHs, give people an idea where money is well spent when looking for pre-loved vehicles. How certain makes/models have aged and held up to real world use.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We hope to launch the first issue in July. This will be an App based magazine designed to read on your phone or tablet. We’ve spent considerable sums developing both Apple and Android apps to allow anyone anywhere in the world to download the app and read for free. While it will be a club magazine, it will be generic enough to interest every motorhome enthusiast regardless if they are a member.

What will be in it?
I have commissioned a few regular writers to produce interesting content. These include well-known names in motorhome journalism and er.. me. We will also re-purpose content already on MotorhomeFun, and some members will be paid to contribute too. We will commission all sorts of reviews where Funsters can contribute and often earn money doing so. These will include reviews of vans, sites, kit and travels. One of the largest dealers in the country has vans ready right now for us to do real world tests and reviews.

So why a magazine when it is so easy to just write articles on our forums?
Two reasons, the first is advertising revenue. We hope that the combination of quality content and being free in all the App stores will make this one of the most read motorhome magazines making advertising space in the magazine valuable.

A recruiting magnet
The second is that the magazine will act as a signpost to MotorhomeFun. Back of fag-packet calculations reveal that while Motorhomefun might be one of the largest collection of motorhome enthusiasts in one place; we account for less than 10% of Motorhome owners. So 9 out of 10 motorhome owners have either never heard of MotorhomeFun or choose not to look in here.

The magazine should be a good driver of membership. We have always enjoyed year on year membership increases but many other forums have not; they have been beaten into submission by Facebook Groups. My aim is that MotorhomeFun Magazine will become a shining light pointing at motorhomefun, ensuring that this place remains the best place to be if you are a motorhome enthusiast.

If you are interested in contributing, if you have any ideas for content, or how the magazine might succeed, do let me know. Meanwhile Watch this space . (y)

View attachment 293089
I think I understand where you are coming from Jim - a business model related to an advertising income stream based on material which includes 're purposing' material from your site and feedback/articles from your existing MH audience - motorhome enthusiasts that hopefully encourages a bigger audience.
Point of difference: I believe that both the CMC and the CCC club magazines are exceptionally dull, do not have a strong editorial framework and both think more of the advertising revenue is more important than the content for their audience. Within 5 min of flicking through both these magazines they are in the re cycling or the digital waste bin. I really do hope your publication has a real point of difference, from the sample front cover the look and example headlines it unfortunately looks very similar to others and I am not convinced and do not feel it would necessarily encourage more of the latent audience you are trying to encourage. You haven't a problem with your existing audience as I am sure we would all support you. Hopefully you will show a real point of difference in style and substance. Good luck and I look forward to seeing its launch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back