Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi folks
Any ideas on how to get wifi while in the motorhome where there is weak or no wifi we are in Killin at the moment on the caravan club site wifi practible non existing how can I get decent wifi when away any ideas

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Returning the to original question

To improve the site WIFI you requite a wifi antenna , there are a two that have proved popular.. Motorhome Wifi iBoost
Adam who owns the company is a member on here

and Solwise.. Patriot ..

both these kits have a router with allows you to share the wifi with any other devices you have with you..

I had the iBoost Pro.. but as I rarely found useful free WiFi either on sites or elsewhere, I sold it and like the others who replied bought a Mifi..

In saying that.. any smart phone can be used a hot spot for your devices.. same as a MiFi provided there is reasonable signal, and a sim loaded with data,

so look at these options before splashing out on WifI antenna.. they are also more secure than public WiFi

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The phone company called 3 are best known to handle dater such as emails and when surfing the web better than most and we have used their SIM card in our mobile router for the past two years and always got connected and happy with the speed when traveling in Devon, Cornwall, and Kent an probably the same in other parts of the country. Visit the 3 website to check coverage before purchase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No

To improve the site WIFI you requite a wifi antenna , there are a two that have proved popular.. Motorhome Wifi iBoost

and Solwise.. Patriot ..

both these kits have a router with allows you to share the wifi with any other devices you have with you..

I had the iBoost Pro.. but as I rarely found useful free WiFi either on sites or elsewhere, I sold it and like the others who replied bought a Mifi..

In saying that.. any smart phone can be used a hot spot for your devices.. same as a MiFi provided there is reasonable signal, and a sim loaded with data,

so look at these options before splashing out on WifI antenna.. they are also more secure than public WiFi

I'm in the latter camp. I tether, (personal hotspot) from my phone. I haven't had any problems in the last 12 months.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
In Spain now using 3 huwai,,Been watching tv on it all week,,Great internet and their back up is brilliant if you have a problem,,BUSBY:D2:D2,,

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

and Solwise.. Patriot ..

How does your WiFi antena improve a signal where there is none, Just to get back to the original question you understand
Jim
hence the advice given by many

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Following on from my earlier past - the mobile router we use is shown here on Amazon

Amazon product ASIN B011YM0OXU
You need a 3 sim card called - Internet with Legs - suitable for use in mobile routers or into other devices so double check you have not purchased a sim card that can be used in a mobile phone by mistake that only lasts for 30 days.

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
As a regular user of the Killin site, and having paid my £25 for the years WiFi usage on club sites, we use our iboost system which gives decent reception on our phones and iPads, good enough to watch live programming (sometimes!!).

My Vodaphone phone gives good enough reception to tether to though Helens EE doesn’t.

Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
How does your WiFi antena improve a signal where there is none,

Obviously if there is zero signal nothing will pull it in.. 0x10=0

but the OP said it was weak.. or none.. so even when he couldn't 'see' the signal on his device, it may just have been too weak to be useful inside the metal body of a van which acts like a Faraday cage.. ..

Fitting an external antenna up above the van with an iBoost router will improve any signal, however small, by 10x

but this member has answered the question..

As a regular user of the Killin site, and having paid my £25 for the years WiFi usage on club sites, we use our iboost system which gives decent reception on our phones and iPads, good enough to watch live programming (sometimes!!).

I also went on to say that I hadn't found iBoost of great use and bought a MIFI.. and also a phone could be used, so covered all the bases impartially

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Following on from my earlier past - the mobile router we use is shown here on Amazon

Amazon product ASIN B011YM0OXU
You need a 3 sim card called - Internet with Legs - suitable for use in mobile routers or into other devices so double check you have not purchased a sim card that can be used in a mobile phone by mistake that only lasts for 30 days.
Same piece of kit for us.

A 12-month 3 sim from My Memory @ £27.99 delivered is about the best price around:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Does anyone know whether MiFi works in Europe or is it just uk?
Yes, works all over Europe and many other places too with a 3 sim.

And will work anywhere in the world there is a mobile phone network (ie almost everywhere), provided an appropriate sim is used.

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Yes, works all over Europe and many other places too with a 3 sim.

And will work anywhere in the world there is a mobile phone network (ie almost everywhere), provided an appropriate sim is used.
Thanks that’s useful to know. So you have to buy a SIM card from Three to activate it?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks that’s useful to know. So you have to buy a SIM card from Three to activate it?
Well you need a sim from somewhere for the mi-fi to operate ie from one of the mobile networks: eg Vodafone, EE or '3' etc.

The 12-month, 12GB three pre-paid data sim is generally considered a good deal - see my post no: 18 above. Best if you are not an especially heavy user ie not downloading tv and videos, but general surfing, social media and emails etc, then absolutely fine.

We use ours all over the place: France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canary Islands etc, as well as occasionally in the UK.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi folks
Any ideas on how to get wifi while in the motorhome where there is weak or no wifi we are in Killin at the moment on the caravan club site wifi practible non existing how can I get decent wifi when away any ideas

If there’s no available WiFi signal you aren’t getting WiFi. End of.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use a Huawei Mifi from three works just about anywhere

A MiFi does not provide wireless broadband (WiFi)

It provides a mobile internet signal just like the one on your phone.

The two things are completely different.

Just for reference the service from Hutchison, although cheap, does not give a signal “just about anywhere.” Their infrastructure is badly creaking and they are resisting spending any money on it.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
In Spain now using 3 huwai,,Been watching tv on it all week,,Great internet and their back up is brilliant if you have a problem,,BUSBY:D2:D2,,

If you use over 15 gig in Spain please let us know in a month or so if you are charged for being over their fair use policy or not

Ismbardbrunel

Free Member
Feb 21, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Off and on for a few yrs
So let me get this right before i buy, i am going to buy the above recommended router, the 12 GB sim card on 3, but i can still use my giffgaff sim card in my phone ?....thank you..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
A MiFi does not provide wireless broadband (WiFi)

It provides a mobile internet signal just like the one on your phone.

The two things are completely different.

Just for reference the service from Hutchison, although cheap, does not give a signal “just about anywhere.” Their infrastructure is badly creaking and they are resisting spending any money on it.
A mifi unit connects to a mobile network. Once connected it provides a WiFi network so that you can connect all the devices you want to the Internet via the mobile network.

In practice for the user it is identical to logging on to any other WiFi network with the added advantage that it is more secure than most public access WiFi networks

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A mifi unit connects to a mobile network. Once connected it provides a WiFi network so that you can connect all the devices you want to the Internet via the mobile network.

In practice for the user it is identical to logging on to any other WiFi network with the added advantage that it is more secure than most public access WiFi networks

It provides a local WiFi network for the devices to connect to.

The internet connection is still mobile internet. It does NOT provide a proper broadband connection. It never has and it never will.

No mobile internet connection anywhere will ever have as much stable bandwidth or stable speed as a proper broadband connection.

That sort of mobile data connection has its uses but it should not be suggested as a viable replacement for a true wireless broadband connection because it quite simply isn't.

As to the suggestion that a mobile internet connection is in anyway secure that's just laughable. Open WiFi networks might not be either but suggesting mobile internet connection are any better is misleading in the extreme. I'd hate for anyone who doesn't know any better to accept such poor advice and think they're safe.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It provides a better safer and quicker connection to most of the practical alternatives available when in the motorhome. In my experience site or other publicly available WiFi systems are much slower unless you use them at 3 in the morning when everybody else is asleep.

We manage to get by with ours throughout Europe for emails websurfing and facetiming.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back