Motorhome Virgin Planning To Go Fulltime (1 Viewer)

Motorhome Moop

Free Member
Oct 30, 2017
Funster No
Hi Folks

I have never owned or been on a holiday in a motorhome but I plan to rent out my flat in Glasgow and buy and live in a motorhome next to Edinburgh. Close enough so I can easily commute into the city on a bike for example. Id also go for wee trips now and again. I have read a lot of the advice on here but I have some questions for you good souls. And any other advice gratefully received :)

1) Where is it best for someone like me with no experience to buy - privately or from a dealer? Any other advice for buying - like time of year, tactics etc?
2) If I bought a motorhome for£20k just now and only added 3000 miles to it and kept it in good condition how much could I sell it for in 2 years time?
3) Would I be better with a caravan if I'm going to be relatively static - ie I'd have a car to scoot aboot in. What are the benefits of a motorhome over a caravan?
4) I'd be happy to work to find free place to park my motorhome - how realistic is that - like on a campsite or a farm?
5) What is a realistic price per night to try and negotiate in a campsite if you stay long term?
5) My unrealistic dream - I'd like to meet a kindly old lady who would let me park my motorhome in her large driveway in a nice suburb of Edinburgh in exchange for me doing some work for her and making her feel more secure. I'm not pinning my hopes on this :p but do you know of any other schemes other than campsite, nearby farm for cheap city living apart from parking up on the street.

Many thanks :)

Moop

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A lot of good questions there.
A few thoughts, a motohome should be used rather than stood around so a very low mileage added would not be an attraction for a future buyer. Living in it full time is also going to put more wear and tear on the habitation side of things which could bring the value down. Getting insurance is harder for full time but can be done.
Only a few campsites are open during the winter so might be tricky to find a pitch near to Edinburgh. Work on campsites and farms is seasonal and so would require quite a bit of legwork knocking on doors to find somewhere.
I think you would be better with a caravan, giving you the car to use.
Sorry, all this sounds a bit negative, the positives are that if you can pull it off, it's a great way to save money and live in a more simple way.
Good luck with what you want to do.

OP
OP
Motorhome Moop

Motorhome Moop

Free Member
Oct 30, 2017
Funster No
Hi All and thanks for your reply Riverbankannie :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Moop ... welcome to the fun house!

I suppose the first question is how much is your flat going to bring in when you rent it out after fees? That will give you an idea of what additional income you've got to cover the cost of staying on a campsite, insurance etc and don't forget that in winter it will be colder than a flat so you'll use a fair bit of energy keeping your MH warm so make sure you have a realistic amount in the equation too as some campsites charge extra. Then of course you might still have to do some maintenance and/or repairs etc especially if you're living in it full time and making more use of equipment etc.

After your motorhome purchase itself the insurance for it is likely to be the next most expensive as you'll be a full-timer so will need a specific policy for this which can be up to 6 times more than a normal 'holiday' type policy.

It's doable but not without a lot of investigation first - work on the most expensive way to do it all then if you can cope with that cost and find a cheaper option you'll be quids in.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You will not be popular parked up on a road for any length of time. If we park on a road we are gone in the morning. If you have never lived in a MH or Caravan before then perhaps you should try it first. The logistics of it are something else like trying to find water, parking in a secure place which doesn't upset anyone, restrictions on length of stay on sites, trying to keep it warm, toilet emptying, clothes washing etc. After 8 weeks away we have had enough and its nice to return home and get all the washing sorted. The MH cleared out and cleaned ready to go again.

Check out sites near where you want to be and what its going to be like cycling.

OP
OP
Motorhome Moop

Motorhome Moop

Free Member
Oct 30, 2017
Funster No
You will not be popular parked up on a road for any length of time. If we park on a road we are gone in the morning. If you have never lived in a MH or Caravan before then perhaps you should try it first. The logistics of it are something else like trying to find water, parking in a secure place which doesn't upset anyone, restrictions on length of stay on sites, trying to keep it warm, toilet emptying, clothes washing etc. After 8 weeks away we have had enough and its nice to return home and get all the washing sorted. The MH cleared out and cleaned ready to go again.

Check out sites near where you want to be and what its going to be like cycling.

Thanks QFour :)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Id say the toilet issue is the most annoying as mine is only really good for 3 days max use for just myself.

I have personally thought about full timing (if the missis kicks me out type thought) And I recon id probably use a campsite a couple of days a week to do stuff like a full clean etc of the toilet properly and replenish the water hassle free and get all my laundry done at the on site facilities. Then back out free camping again.

I am lucky that my work staff carpark is big enough and I use that now and again when I'm on a busy run. Also work tend to put me up in hotels a few days a month so id get semi normal respite. doing 365 in the van I think would be tough in the UK with the climate we have. Scotland even tougher in winter.

But I like your idea and I say go for it. You will never learn anything real about doing it until your first night doing it. 6 months down the line I am sure it will be normal business as usual. If the wife kicks me out ill come park next to you and we can swap ideas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back