Motorhome UK and Continental Breakdown Cover (1 Viewer)

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Hi all,
Looking for advice for the best company to deal with with the most competitive quote.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Nationwide include cover with one of their accounts for a monthly cost for the account. That may work out for you.

Reactions: PMB
OP
OP
PMB

PMB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Nationwide include cover with one of their accounts for a monthly cost for the account. That may work out for you.
Many thanks for your help. I am looking into this, do you have this account?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You need their Flex Plus Account £13 per month.

WE have ours with our insurance Comfort £65/year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have EU wide breakdown, recovery, repatriation if required through our insurance. Have you asked your insurance company? It could be cheaper than a separate policy.

Edit, we are insured with AIB.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
Our Natwest account includes breakdown cover in the UK, and which can be upgraded to European for a reasonable charge. However, it's limited to 3.5t in weight and 3m in height, so that counted us out.

Instead we're insured with Caravanguard and they include UK and European breakdown cover which, when we checked, was far more cost effective for us to opt for than buying a separate recovery policy.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
You need their Flex Plus Account £13 per month.

WE have ours with our insurance Comfort £65/year.
Yes but the Nationwide £13 also includes very good worldwide family travel insurance ( with winter sports ) and gadget insurance. It's a very good option for some, including myself.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I have the flex plus account. I've used the breakdown in Germany ( flat battery), holiday insurance in Italy when my wife broke her shoulder skiing and my daughter has had her iPhone replaced twice in three years. All dealt with very easily.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have the flex plus account. I've used the breakdown in Germany ( flat battery), holiday insurance in Italy when my wife broke her shoulder skiing and my daughter has had her iPhone replaced twice in three years. All dealt with very easily.
Blimey, no wonder everybody else's insurance premiums are so high. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We use Green Flag, they helped us out when we broke down in Portugal a couple of years ago.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Yes. There’s also travel insurance and phone insurance included. I think there’s an 8m limit to the length of the van and ok for over 3.5 tonnes covered Europe too.

Dec 23, 2020
Scotland Central
Funster No
MH
A Class Pilote
Exp
Since 2014
Hi PMB,
We have used club insurances in the past but now have an Nationwide Flex Plus current account @ £13 /month. It covers breakdown for our cars and Motorhome EU+ & UK. Also health, mobile and contents insurance. The max MH length is i believe up to 10mts.
We are both over 70 with some health issues, but with a small extra you are covered. We used this insurance in ATHENS when on our Greek tour - we found them excellent - paying out not an insignificant sum with no undue scrutiny.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I use Nationwide:

Your question was comprehensively debated yesterday evening. Have a look here:

Apr 3, 2021
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Since 2019
Hi PMB,
We have used club insurances in the past but now have an Nationwide Flex Plus current account @ £13 /month. It covers breakdown for our cars and Motorhome EU+ & UK. Also health, mobile and contents insurance. The max MH length is i believe up to 10mts.
We are both over 70 with some health issues, but with a small extra you are covered. We used this insurance in ATHENS when on our Greek tour - we found them excellent - paying out not an insignificant sum with no undue scrutiny.
Its limited to 8m not 10m

Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:
  1. Caravans and trailers - 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
  2. Motorhomes - 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
  3. All other vehicles - 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight (Please see Section 2 and 3B of the policy document, for further details on vehicle eligibility)

Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
I'm in the process of obtaining quotes for our new motorhome. We are and have been insured with NFU for the last few years. They have a top reputation for dealing with claims and, although perhaps not the cheapest, I believe they are one of the best. Thankfully, I haven't had to test this. I mentioned motorhome cover at last renewal and was told that it would be possible to add a motorhome when the time came. I think others have mentioned that they have motorhome cover with NFU.

I fully expected to have a relatively straightforward discussion about adding the motorhome but it was as if I was trying to cover a brand new prototype vehicle. It took about 30 minutes to establish a base line vehicle description that covered our van (never heard of a Dreamer) and then this was a van with engine size 2000-3000 that was over 3500KGS weight. I obviously fell foul of the dangerous cargo clause because I had to admit that the vehicle would be carrying gas.

Breakdown cover is included FOC as standard but wouldn't apply as the vehicle is over 3500KGS. No excess (£100 theft and £50 windscreen). Std 100K legal expenses cover via DAS. 6000 miles pa. I have full no claims and this would be protected. Circa £448. Adding a £200 voluntary excess reduces this to £386.

New for old replacement for first 2 years. Personal valuables limit £250 (unsure if this is contents or actual 'valuables').

It's clear that NFU do not have any kind of standard motorhome policy but are willing to calculate a quote to cover any vehicle. At £386, many might say that this is a good price for the level of cover and service that NFU would provide.

I also contacted Comfort for a quote. Initially I did this online via their web site. I needed to contact them by phone to check a couple of details that I wasn't sure about but, based on my experience, I would definitely call regardless. My initial online quote was around £400 but after a quick telephone discussion, this was reduced by over £100. In stark contrast to NFU, the guy I spoke to was extremely well clued up on all things motorhome (as one would hope I guess). The policy in my case is underwritten by Aviva. New for old cover on the van for first 3 years / 15000 miles. Personal contents limit £5000 but excludes valuables which should be covered under home insurance.

I reviewed these forums recently for details of insurance companies to approach and I made a list of about 10. I'm quite impressed with Comfort and tempted not to look much further although I will be disappointed not to stick with NFU. Breakdown is covered separately at £65 as others have mentioned. Luckily, I think our van has 2 years Fiat assistance so don't need to worry about that short term. When I do, I quite like the sound of the Nationwide Flex Plus account benefits mentioned above.

Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
FYI, I thought I would give Lifesure a try (mentioned by MinxyGirl I think). A very good policy underwritten by Axa from what they told me of the cover but couldn't get close to the quote from Comfort so didn't do into much detail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back