Motorhome Toilets (1 Viewer)

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Has anyone any tips for stopping the Thetford unit groaning and clacking when you sit on it - being inches from someones head on the diner bed?
Before anyone says it - I'm not 6'2" eyes of blue, but am a snakehipped 72kgs!!! (11.5stone)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I agree, there must be a better way. Assuming it will always be some form of cassette, the problem is emptying it. How heavy will it be, how far do you have to take it? Hate turning it upside-down and pushing the vent button which always seems to dribble a little. Also worried when desperate for a wee, I pee before opening the flap, is it leaking past the cassette seal, when did I last apply silicon spray? Black tanks seem heavy and have their own problems. I have to say Thetford have come up with a wonderful product my feeble brain cannot improve.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Black tank every time for me.

Craig

I don't miss mine. I liked the size of it. However, there just isn't the infrastructure for emptying them. I used to pump out using a layflat hose. That was pretty grim compared to emptying a cassette and I could only really do that at home. Continental campsites are particularly bad, with the "chemique" typically being part of the shower block, about 20m from the nearest tarmac.

My limited European language ability doesn't run to asking for the locations of suitable manhole covers to remove.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I don't miss mine. I liked the size of it. However, there just isn't the infrastructure for emptying them. I used to pump out using a layflat hose. That was pretty grim compared to emptying a cassette and I could only really do that at home. Continental campsites are particularly bad, with the "chemique" typically being part of the shower block, about 20m from the nearest tarmac.

My limited European language ability doesn't run to asking for the locations of suitable manhole covers to remove.
Think things have change a bit since then, have done about 7k around Europe since buying my new van and not had any problems dumping the black tank.
done a fair few weeks in the UK and not got stuck emptying either..

Have a super dooper pump and hose set up ready but it’s still all in the box as never needed it🙁🙁

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

We’ve had USRVs for over 12 years and have never had a problem emptying in the uk or Europe.

Craig

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We’ve had USRVs for over 12 years and have never had a problem emptying in the uk or Europe.

Nor us, when you do find somwhere to gravity dump it's great to be able to dump 100 gallons in one go. But when none are available we used a small tote, and emptied like everyone else.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Deleted cos it was a rubbish post……

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Great concept and a great way to save water, but would need Thetford to make a few design changes.

940EA172-C69C-4337-A935-FC0695FFC5CC.jpeg

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I would check your cassette float still moves, on giving mine a thorough clean I discovered mine didn't, I also discovered that the previous owner had removed the reed switch the float was supposed to activate to illuminate the I'm full light, I freed the float off and bought a reed switch and all is good

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
We always try to find the sites where there's a CamperClean (https://camperclean.de/en/) to empty our only cassette, they're growing in popularity all over Scandinavia and can be found pretty much all over Europe even though not as commonly as in Germany. Takes vare of emptying and sanitising the cassette in one go and some sites don't even charge for it..

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, at one time before thetford realised they cold make money by producing a dedicated seal spray, olive oil was recommended.

Very effective and doesn't damage the seals, easy to apply.

But hey, have a piece of kitchen tissue prepped with olive oil before touching the cassette cupboard.
Who likes poo flavoured olive oil, maybe an aquired taste!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
a snakehipped 72kgs!!! (11.5stone)
Hi.
There you have it.... "snakehipped 72kgs!!! ( 11.5 stone ) Thats the price you pay for being thus.... Look on Youtube. There are several articles on how "snakehipped 72 kgs !!! (11.5 stone ) can use the Thetford toilet noiselessly. Hope this helps.
Tea Bag. ;)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Mentioned before but make good use of our black tank with external macerator pump. Lay hose the elsan or any appropriate drain cover. Hold pipe and turn on pump with remote control I fitted myself. Use grey to flush same pipe through and when stored the pipe ends connect to each other sealing in any smells that might occur (note noticed any smells from pipes in two years). Our old Coach-built had the larger C200?? cassette which I preferred as nearly double the volume of the classic little cassettes.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi.
There you have it.... "snakehipped 72kgs!!! ( 11.5 stone ) Thats the price you pay for being thus.... Look on Youtube. There are several articles on how "snakehipped 72 kgs !!! (11.5 stone ) can use the Thetford toilet noiselessly. Hope this helps.
Tea Bag. ;)

Really? You're kidding, right?? :oops:

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Anyone use olive oil to lubricate the blade?
Silicon spray no touchy needed :) but then I ain't no snowflake :eek: and I've been in worse s**t than human waste when I worked for a living, that's the trouble with the modern generation everything has to be sterilised out of existence before they will go near it and wonder why they have no immune system :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes I agree, there must be a better way. Assuming it will always be some form of cassette, the problem is emptying it. How heavy will it be, how far do you have to take it? Hate turning it upside-down and pushing the vent button which always seems to dribble a little. Also worried when desperate for a wee, I pee before opening the flap, is it leaking past the cassette seal, when did I last apply silicon spray? Black tanks seem heavy and have their own problems. I have to say Thetford have come up with a wonderful product my feeble brain cannot improve.
Why pee before openng the flap, you can't be that desperate surely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back