Motorhome stolen of my drive! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Photo of the stolen van

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_184332121~2.jpg
    IMG_20210911_184332121~2.jpg
    836.2 KB · Views: 984

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Bump

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thats horrible

Do you have a tracker installed?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sorry to here this did it not have an alarm or tracker?🤔😥

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Fiat Ducato Autotrail Tribute pvc, silver, WU16HCA from Wells, Somerset. Just arrived back from France, was taken overnight, some one was watching. Silver with wavy stripes along side. Please lookout for it.
Have you checked out your local area. Thieves usually park nearby overnight to check if there is a tracker on it. Although it may be too late now.

Gina

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
Fiat Ducato Autotrail Tribute pvc, silver, WU16HCA from Wells, Somerset. Just arrived back from France, was taken overnight, some one was watching. Silver with wavy stripes along side. Please lookout for it.
A MH was stolen from Glastonbury from where I work a few weeks ago, fortunately recovered due to a tracker but it had been taken to MH hire company near Sheffield before being recovered. Kiveton Park. It's probably unlikely to have gone there because I believe the police made some arrests but you never know. Seems bad around here at the moment. Good luck.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Have you any idea how they managed to start it.
Through the OBD reader do you think?
If it was a ford there would be lots of quotes about not another one by now!. We have a ford but have an obd port lock I suspect that other makes need one as well.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Many thanks for goodwill messages. It's now on the police tracker system. I got through to 101. It was on hold for over an hour. I have no other vehicle so neighbour took me to the local police station. Closed. Use outside phone the sign said. Broken. Went to another police station, supposedly the response centre. closed. Followed a police van who went around the back of the station. So now on system. Will now try to post on FB, and probably elsewhere. With only Stopped twice on the way from the tunnel terminal, once on a layby on the A303 for a wee, once at the local spa. Wells is not a high crime area, the van could not be easily seen from the quiet residential road. How did they knew it was there, and only for a few hours? No one followed me locally.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you get it back, I would strongly suggest a visit to VanBitz who are only down the road from you.
Get a decent immobiliser, alarm and tracker fitted.

(To be honest, you should have done this the day you bought it, most insurance companies insist on it as a condition to insure the vehicle)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you get it back, I would strongly suggest a visit to VanBitz who are only down the road from you.

(To be honest, you should have done this the day you bought it, most insurance companies insist on it as a condition to insure the vehicle)
We don't have a tracker or alarm. I suspect probably a fair proportion of motorhomes are the same. We don't have a tracker on either of our cars and the only alarm is the standard manufacturers one. The insurers seem pretty relaxed until this year when we had to change to a different company to avoid a tracker.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004

Thanks, you're quite right. Stupid aren't I.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have posted photo and Reg number/description on MHome Fun Facebook.

If not ok will delete.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If it was a ford there would be lots of quotes about not another one by now!. We have a ford but have an obd port lock I suspect that other makes need one as well.
I nearly had my keyless Ford stolen a couple of weeks ago.
According to the police there are loads of Fiestas being stolen in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire
They failed because I keep my keys in the special anti clone wallets - but then they smashed the drivers side window.
Luckily a neighbour heard them and scared them of. They were in the process of trying to find the OBD socket which is so easily accessible behind a little drop down hatch.
The standard alarm horn is so pathetic especially inside such a sound proof car no one is going to hear it.
I've now had to started fitting an old steering wheel lock and fitted a massive new alarm horn.

I am confident I do have a fail safe anti theft device on the van but for the sake of belt and braces I have fitted a steel OBD cover.
I need to make some thing for my car now

Before I fitted the anti tamper screw

IMG_20220317_142727.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Thanks, you're quite right. Stupid aren't I.
Yes of course you were.
Well, assuming you are the only one with hindsight! I never did on vans 1 and 2 and they never got touched.

OBD covers are good for piece of mind.
However any good thief can tap into the CAN bus from anywhere else, just splice the wires behind or even access from elsewhere in the loom. Its not difficult for experts.
Same as locks, steering locks, door locks, pedal locks. Each can be removed by someone skilled with the right tools.

Trackers can be blocked/found/removed

Alarms are installed by a human, they can be removed by a human.

All you can do is add annoyances and hope they go elsewhere.

A mixture of physical and electronic systems. And just hope. If they want it, they'll take it.

Where do you draw the line?

As long as it was locked and you have all sets of keys......

Thats what insurance is for. At least it was when you got back and not the day you wanted to leave!

Sorry to hear :(

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Oh crumbs, so sorry some lowlife has taken it. What I wouldn’t want to do to them.
Hopefully your insurance will sort you out with a hire car to get you about in short term.
We have an added alarm but sometimes I worry it is not enough.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We don't have a tracker or alarm. I suspect probably a fair proportion of motorhomes are the same. We don't have a tracker on either of our cars and the only alarm is the standard manufacturers one. The insurers seem pretty relaxed until this year when we had to change to a different company to avoid a tracker.
There is a difference between a £10 grand car and a £100 grand motorhome.

I'm surprised that all reputable motorhome insurers don't insist on a tracker/alarm/immobiliser before they will cover.
We use Comfort, and they gave us a 7 day written dispensation to get it all installed before they would cover the vehicle

Oct 18, 2021
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Apache 700
Exp
Some....good & bad!
Sorry to hear this.
Did you have any physical security like a steering lock and pedal lock?

I use those and also have 3 cheap vibration alarms I bought from eBay for £15 each. They are stuck to the inside of each door.
If you touch the door handle you get a warning alarm, if you touch it again the sirens go off. As far as I can tell there is no way to get in without making a lot of noise and the van is under my bedroom window.

Possible consolation: If you are insured for market value, you might well get back more than it cost in 2016!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There is a difference between a £10 grand car and a £100 grand motorhome.

I'm surprised that all reputable motorhome insurers don't insist on a tracker/alarm/immobiliser before they will cover.
We use Comfort, and they gave us a 7 day written dispensation to get it all installed before they would cover the vehicle
I think on a 100k motorhome they will on a van 38k new 8 years ago like ours they won't.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back