Motorhome prices are still nuts! (3 Viewers)

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I downsized. Effectively buying a smaller house in a better area so there was no large cash pot left over.

The bottleneck for downsizing seems to be lack of bungalows. They fetch silly high prices because developers stopped building new bungalows. Meanwhile, the demand for older 4 and 5 bedroom family houses with big gardens is strong. Prices are still going up. It's a safer asset class from an investment perspective. If or when interest rates are lowered, house price inflation will surely go up. At the same time the alternative "equity release" will become more attractive as an option. Maybe equity release could fuel MH sales.
I live in a bungalow and the only time they come on the market is when someone dies. Every single one has been bought and then made into a house!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I would have changed my van a couple of years ago but couldn’t due to covid. I’m not prepared to pay the prices they are asking for a new van so I will just keep hold of the van I have.
Thats one less second hand van for sale.
But as I said up thread it's not about the values it's the cost to change. Your van is worth more now than 2 years ago probably so it's all relative.

Jan 27, 2023
Cirencester, UK
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
Brand new
Spot on, after 40 odd years in the motor trade one thing held good which was no matter how much you offered them in px it was the price to change that either made the deal or not.
Autumn 2021 we ordered an Elddis CV80 auto with goodies for £50k. The dealer quickly tried to increase it and the “market” price rose steeply as Fiat and Elddis could neither deliver nor communicate. A year on with no delivery date in sight we bought a very low mileage but higher specification auto Wildax for £69k with which we are very happy. Tyne Valley are now listing the 2024 CV80 manual at £70k from stock, but there are “special deals” a-plenty out there because there is a lot of stock on every forecourt which has to be shifted, particularly at current interest rates.

Availability, inflation and interest rates are key. When people are feeling financially secure they’re happy to push the boat out. But a lot of people are worried by the cost of living, so as inflation drops the fear of missing out diminishes and they postpone decisions. Meanwhile for new entrants the MH market is looking expensive.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Availability, inflation and interest rates are key. When people are feeling financially secure they’re happy to push the boat out. But a lot of people are worried by the cost of living, so as inflation drops the fear of missing out diminishes and they postpone decisions. Meanwhile for new entrants the MH market is looking expensive.
A well put and succinct analysis. We’ve had a plan to buy what we imagine will be our first and only motorhome for 3 years now. It’s all part of the big retirement plan and we are currently planning on buying next summer/autumn which is the time a lot seem to become available.
Over the years we’ve been watching the prices have seen crazy rises. We might have done well to buy earlier but it didn’t fit with financial and other plans and commitments.
However I think (or hope) that MH price inflation is unlikely to exceed general inflation for much longer, and may fall below it. My main worry is that the big prices being asked could continue be met by Baby Boomer and now Gen X retirement lump sums (of which I am one). It’s not Lamborghinis the government should have been worried about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
As above I am too looking at replacing my motorhome. As mines a bit long in the tooth now but I need prices to be a bit more down to earth I've seen a few I like but at 8 to 10.years old and for 5 grand more than they where new I just can't stomach it. I had one dealer tell me we have knocked 2 grand off this price don't expect anymore. I hadn't even asked for a reduction at the time.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
I have a friend who, just before Xmas, traded in their van for the same price they bought it 8.5yrs previous!
That is good but bear in mind inflation…that pound 8.5 years ago was worth more. To illustrate it might help to compare a new one with one c. 8.5 years old in todays money. Forgive the following bag of a fag packet maths.
On autotrader right now you could buy a brand new Autosleeper Broadway for £78k (this being discounted). There is a similar spec 2015 model available for £50k. Using BoE calculator £78k in todays money was worth £59250 in 2015. So accounting for general inflation it would suggest a £9k increase over these years, c. 18% overall or c 2%pa increase above CPI. It helps that the new model is discounted by £5k, but then that’s because they can’t sell otherwise.

Happy to be put right if this looks wrong. I’m aware that I don’t know how much they were in 2015 and that would be helpful to know whether new and used have been rising at similar rates. I can see that they were about £60k new in 2019, £72 in todays money, so not surprisingly new prices have risen about 10% above general inflation in 5 years.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
From a motorhomer who is currently trying to sell a van which is perhaps in the ' starter' end of the market, or even ' trade' area of realistic pricing, I have found this thread very interesting and informative.
Currently advertised on both our own forum and in a seperate advert on eBay and yet with not one enquiry.
However, a couple of traders are becoming very keen with phone calls and emails for me to sell to them, but at prices that just do not sit happily with me.
But, I am being realistic and may just eventually go with their scenario , cut the potential loss on our assets value, and move on into a different chapter.
Whilst not in the wild pricing world that some have mentioned within this thread, I am surprised that our van has not had some interest from outside of the trade environment.
We have to now sell as we just cannot use it due to ongoing family health matters, and lack of precious and available free time, but will be looking at smaller campervan alternatives perhaps next year, or sooner if the right vehicle and pricing turns up, and using it for daily transport and getting away if time allows, plus getting rid of one of the cars ( less tax, insurance, mot etc etc).
But I seriously doubt that happening this year.
Quite a difficult learning curve in 6 years of ownership.
But hey-ho.
Onwards and upwards, as they say.

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
From a motorhomer who is currently trying to sell a van which is perhaps in the ' starter' end of the market, or even ' trade' area of realistic pricing, I have found this thread very interesting and informative.
Currently advertised on both our own forum and in a seperate advert on eBay and yet with not one enquiry.
However, a couple of traders are becoming very keen with phone calls and emails for me to sell to them, but at prices that just do not sit happily with me.
But, I am being realistic and may just eventually go with their scenario , cut the potential loss on our assets value, and move on into a different chapter.
Whilst not in the wild pricing world that some have mentioned within this thread, I am surprised that our van has not had some interest from outside of the trade environment.
We have to now sell as we just cannot use it due to ongoing family health matters, and lack of precious and available free time, but will be looking at smaller campervan alternatives perhaps next year, or sooner if the right vehicle and pricing turns up, and using it for daily transport and getting away if time allows, plus getting rid of one of the cars ( less tax, insurance, mot etc etc).
But I seriously doubt that happening this year.
Quite a difficult learning curve in 6 years of ownership.
But hey-ho.
Onwards and upwards, as they say.
I assume you mean that the traders are offering a lot less than what you are offering it on eBay for? Given they have to make a profit is it a lot less even allowing for that?

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
My observation, like many others, is that the market is propped up by the price to upgrade. Which is propped up by a heathy used market. On Autotrader the number of used motorhomers for sale has increased by 50% in the last year. So my question is, has the market for motorhomes expanded rapidly over the last year or are we heading for a quiet period. If the used market stalls prices stagnate at best and the price to upgrade widens and the new market will also stall. Unless all those pension pots are emptied!!

As an aside in what world is the Autosleeper Nuevo, at best a very small van, worth £90k of anyone’s money. I’m putting my coat on and leaving right now!!

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
I assume you mean that the traders are offering a lot less than what you are offering it on eBay for? Given they have to make a profit is it a lot less even allowing for that?
It's a fair bit, yes.
And they haven't even seen the van, which is immaculate and in very very good condition.
But , 23 years old with 45k on the clock and 6 belted seats, 4 inertia type forward facing and 2 rear facing lap belts.
600kg actual payload on a 3200kg base ( weighbridge certificated ) and exceptionally clean.
Mot to mid Sept.
Dealers offering sub 5k, so there is obviously a floor level within the trade arena on older vans.
Or is there, and just a lot of greedy ' chancer' traders?
Realise they want to turn a profit at some point, but this lower end does seem to be a bear-pit on pricing.
Currently asking 11500 but negotiable .
Don't know whether I am being unrealistic or they just want to have my pants down.
I reckon I could get more than 5k just selling it for parts to those who possess older Ci type motorhomes, especially replacement windows etc.
Worlds gone mad!
Have seriously thought of going back to ' tugging' as we have a more than suitable tow car, and prices for such a suitable caravan ( sleeps 4 /5 ) are way lower, and I could get more bang for my buck.
But that's a whole new discussion, but it's not off the table!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
It's a fair bit, yes.
And they haven't even seen the van, which is immaculate and in very very good condition.
But , 23 years old with 45k on the clock and 6 belted seats, 4 inertia type forward facing and 2 rear facing lap belts.
600kg actual payload on a 3200kg base ( weighbridge certificated ) and exceptionally clean.
Mot to mid Sept.
Dealers offering sub 5k, so there is obviously a floor level within the trade arena on older vans.
Realise they want to turn a profit at some point, but this lower end does seem to be a bear-pit on pricing.
Don't know whether I am being unrealistic or they just want to have my pants down.
I reckon I could get more than 5k just selling it for parts to those who possess older Ci type motorhomes, especially replacement windows etc.
Worlds gone mad!
Have seriously thought of going back to ' tugging' as we have a more than suitable tow car, and prices for such a suitable caravan ( sleeps 4 /5 ) are way lower, and I could get more bang for my buck.

I am having similar thoughts to yourself about going back to caravans. The prices I have been offered for my van are ridiculous from traders and I would be better off selling the parts from it or using it to do a van conversion

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
It's a fair bit, yes.
Mot to mid Sept.
Worlds gone mad!
What you are experiencing is similar to what happens in the car business when sales drop off particularly the more expensive end. Traders try to get more for their money by diluting stock values. Whilst this works to a degree its undoing is cost of preparation & warranty. It usually doesn’t take long for them to return to newer less risk stock buying.
Why not reduce the price to sub £10k to try & tempt someone out of the woodwork or if your thinking of buying a caravan try & swop it in. Either way good luck with the sale.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Why not reduce the price to sub £10k to try & tempt someone out of the woodwork ..........
From my car dealing experience it seems that lower priced vehicles are most likely to attract a cash buyer whereas higher priced vehicles are more often bought on finance. Your eleven and a half grand price is towards the top end of a cash purchase.

Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
when i was going to sell mine i looked around at what they were on sale for i found the cheapest one and knocked a £1k off that and put it on autotrader and on here ,,i did not have one call or enquiry ,,mine had £13k extras on it ,,

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
when i was going to sell mine i looked around at what they were on sale for i found the cheapest one and knocked a £1k off that and put it on autotrader and on here ,,i did not have one call or enquiry ,,mine had £13k extras on it ,,
Wow do you still have it then or did you manage to sell

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
It’s the price to change up that’s probably scuppered us from trading in anytime soon. I don’t care that our van is probably worth what we paid for it new. We certainly wouldn’t pay today’s prices for another. Only likely option is a cheaper brand.

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
It’s the price to change up that’s probably scuppered us from trading in anytime soon. I don’t care that our van is probably worth what we paid for it new. We certainly wouldn’t pay today’s prices for another. Only likely option is a cheaper brand.
Exactly the gap is too large to trade up now. When I got my motorhome I traded up from a caravan I had some savings and used a small amount of finance. But I am not prepared to have masses of finance as it becomes untenable to me a stupid amount of interest

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
One of the problems is that for the last few years, due to demand outstripping supply, dealers and traders have increased margins and effectively taken the Micky.

Now though, supply is outstripping supply but they are still trying to maintain the high margins they have become used to.

So for a while we are in a situation where the correction will hurt some. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
From my car dealing experience it seems that lower priced vehicles are most likely to attract a cash buyer whereas higher priced vehicles are more often bought on finance. Your eleven and a half grand price is towards the top end of a cash purchase.

That is the market for cars which are these days almost an 'essential', whereas MHs are a 'discretionary' item, so therefore in a market where people have more discretionary cash.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
It's a fair bit, yes.
Mot to mid Sept.
Worlds gone mad!
If their offering 5k less than asking why don't you just drop the price by 3k or even 4k, you get more than what there offering and someone gets a bargain van, a win win. Letting the dealer make all the profit is wrong IMHO.

You could even put it up for auction at 4k less than asking and see what unfolds. Either way don't let the vultures make the money. Good luck and good health to you and yours.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If their offering 5k less than asking why don't you just drop the price by 3k or even 4k, you get more than what there offering and someone gets a bargain van, a win win. Letting the dealer make all the profit is wrong IMHO.

You could even put it up for auction at 4k less than asking and see what unfolds. Either way don't let the vultures make the money. Good luck and good health to you and yours.
Thanks for the reply.
Have looked at several options and reducing the price for an auction was one of those.
However, did not realise that ebay want 12.3% of the final selling price upto 5k, then 3% on the remaining balance.
Have therefore gone with a classified ad on ebay at a fixed price, for now, with offers available to see how we go.
I agree though on the comment regarding dealers and making all the profit, but can't help wondering WHERE and HOW they would do this on such a less costly van in a strange price-based marketplace.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Thanks for the reply.
Have looked at several options and reducing the price for an auction was one of those.
However, did not realise that ebay want 12.3% of the final selling price upto 5k, then 3% on the remaining balance.

eBay’s fees for vehicle auction listings are as follows…

Listing fee: £14.99
Final value fee: 1% of the final transaction (min. £25, max. £45)

Adding a reserve price is an additional £9.99

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's a fair bit, yes.
Mot to mid Sept.
Worlds gone mad!
Having bought and sold more vehicles than the average bear I took a look at your advert on here for your camper.

I think it might be a bit long and winded , information overload at some points and looks like you're trying too hard.

I would cut that description down to about a 3rd , no need to tell a story as the important details get lost and the average buyer gets bored.

Just list the important bits , a lot of the description is unnecessary as you have the photos which show the interior ,layout , condition etc. It's an old van people don't expect it to be new and faultless , if you go In to too much detail it can have the opposite effect than desired.

I'd also drop the price to something like £8995 and put it back on an ebay classified add , it will sell in a fortnight.

P.s I'd also list it on gumtree and Facebook marketplace .

Jul 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer 508 CL
Our 2013 van is coming up to 5 years of being owned by us.

Out of interest, I put a search in to see how much they were now and managed to find an identical model for mileage and age.

I originally expected to lose about 3k a year in depreciation, which was acceptable based on the fact we use it so much and love having it.

So, how much have we actually lost?

The answer is nothing as it’s the same price as when we bought it. 🫣

That’s nuts!

I know Covid didn’t help, but how can a vehicle depreciate so little? The prices must drop soon surely?
Except there has been a compounded 20% inflation in the intervening five years. So yes, you have lost 20%, as while you could probably get the same “amount” of money back, the purchasing power of that sum has diminished.

Jul 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hymer 508 CL
What something is advertised for and what it actually sells for are two different things as I am sure you are aware. That said, it may be that the Bailey Alliance has a dedicated fanbase that helps to keep prices up whilst other motor homes may be depreciating. Predicting market direction on the basis of one make and model is a little tricky methinks . . . . . That said our Ace Siena seems to be holding the pre-Covid price we paid for it (on there basis of the few that are advertised) so maybe the downward trend in prices is fairly slow.
It may be holding to somewhere near the sum of money you handed out, but the compounded inflation has been circa 20% in that period. The buying power of that sum has also diminished by 20%.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back