Motorhome parking in town centres (1 Viewer)

Richard B

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
North Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Since 2005
I do not have to tell you when you are out and about the problems we have finding somewhere to park when you want to visit and explore.
I would like to inform (or remind) funsters that in my home town of Bideford in North Devon things are quite good.
At the end of the Riverbank long stay car park there is a large tarmacked area suitable for motor homes, if fact coaches use it during the day so even large units should have no problems getting in and out.
Day charges (0800 - 1800) is £3, overnight max 2 nights (after 1800 - 0800) is £5 payable in the machine. From here its an easy 5 minute walk to the Quay and town center with banks, shops eating places and pubs etc (Weatherspoons is in Bridgland Street).
From the Quay you can get buses into Westward-Ho or Appledore (15 mins), of further away like Barnstaple (30 mins) so you can leave the van parked up. So if you are down this way why not stop and check it our.
1271705.jpg
Enjoy (I hate that word)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Also Appledore just up the road allows overnight sleeping £5. We will be stopping over next Sunday on route back from rainy Cornwall live music at the Beaver inn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had some great times there in Bideford when I was stationed at Fremington.

We used to get Gurkhas staying at Fremington, a kind of a holiday for them I suppose.
I popped into a pub, can't for the life of me remember the name, but you left the bridge and went up a hill a bit to the left It was just before the road turned a hard left.

The Landlord called me over,
"'ere boy, you frum fremminton camp aree?"
"Yes"
"I got some of they bleddy Gurkhas in my snug, They've all had 8 pints of my strongest ale, Them alright are em? They ain't gonna start cutting bleddy 'eads off are um?"

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit

We used to get Gurkhas staying at Fremington, a kind of a holiday for them I suppose.
I popped into a pub, can't for the life of me remember the name, but you left the bridge and went up a hill a bit to the left It was just before the road turned a hard left.

"Yes"
"I got some of they bleddy Gurkhas in my snug, They've all had 8 pints of my strongest ale, Them alright are em? They ain't gonna start cutting bleddy 'eads off are um?"
Ah the Gurkhas , loyal lads but would never mix with us RE I would not like to be on the wrong side of them BUT I always remember them in the landing crafts in the falklands they were not sea farers !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp

"Yes"
What units were at fremington ?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Fremington army camp is now a housing estate.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
What units were at fremington ?

18 Coy RCT (Amphibious) We drove DUKWs Had an LVT3 there, was also testing a LARC, testing anything Amphip , writing Manuals for water proofing any new army vehicle.
When the Church at Lundy had its roof damaged (pre NT) and the Islanders decided to sell the Church Bells to pay to fix the roof. REME went over there and took them down, and 18 Coy brought them back to INSTOW.
AND! apart from that we were the buggers that caused traffic tail backs when ever we took to the road, and we went surfing in Woolacoombe10-20 ft waves, we had the biggest surfboards in the village! 32feet long, 8 feet wide, and weighed 2 1/2 tons.

Happy days!

I think the REME unit there was 303 w/shop @teddybard a funster was there too.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
18 Coy RCT (Amphibious) We drove DUKWs Had an LVT3 there, was also testing a LARC, testing anything Amphip , writing Manuals for water proofing any new army vehicle.
When the Church at Lundy had its roof damaged (pre NT) and the Islanders decided to sell the Church Bells to pay to fix the roof. REME went over there and took them down, and 18 Coy brought them back to INSTOW.
AND! apart from that we were the buggers that caused traffic tail backs when ever we took to the road, and we went surfing in Woolacoombe10-20 ft waves, we had the biggest surfboards in the village! 32feet long, 8 feet wide, and weighed 2 1/2 tons.

Happy days!

I think the REME unit there was 303 w/shop @teddybard a funster was there too.
I could just imagine the tailbacks with the ducks ! Same as engineers we caused tail backs with the Earth movers ! 12/20 mph tops ! The natives ( Germans ) did not like us !

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
First time I visited fremington was this summer lovely location and I was intrigued with gchq at bude

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Ah the Gurkhas , loyal lads but would never mix with us RE I would not like to be on the wrong side of them BUT I always remember them in the landing crafts in the falklands they were not sea farers !
Me neither and I ain't a Gurkha :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back