Motorhome internal dead locks

Discussion in 'Motorhome Detailing' started by Miss Trinity, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Miss Trinity

Miss Trinity Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    I've been pondering the security issues since owning a motorhome recently and still feel there is a severe lack of security devices available to ensure the vehicle is locked from the inside. It would also help when leaving it as the remaining doors could be locked internally, leaving just one exit door to be locked externally. So what's available with regards to deadlocks for ducatos and the like, cheers Trinity =~,~=

2. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ratings:
    +10,926
    The trouble with motorhomes is that they're built to save weight & therefor security is an issue, its very difficult to add strength when building them.
    Adding decent locks discourages the casual thief but, the determined thief will just damage more of the vehicle to gain entry.
    Sad but true.

Try browsing ebay or the Milenco websites for some ideas.

• Like it Like it x 3
  3. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,367
    I fitted a deadlock from motorhomelocks.co.uk to the driver’s door as I felt that the original one was open to attack, the Hartal door seems to be a very substantial item but I am considering installing one there as well.

Visible deterrents are important in my view and my vehicle has flashing LEDs on front, side and rear, theory being that the thief will look for an easier target.

The rest of the security comprises a Strikeback alarm and Milenco window alarms.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  4. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,920
    I fitted this kit to my 2017 Fiat based camper but only paid £85 from a private seller.

John.

Heosafe locks.
    [​IMG]

• £245.73
    • + £14.16 postage

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,138
    dead locking the doors when you go to bed has huge safety risks in case of a fire etc. much prefer a simple sliding bolt to secure the doors. remember the weakest point is the plastic windows

• Like it Like it x 2
  6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

Ratings:
    +4,920

Hi John the kit I’ve shown locks the cab doors and the other locks are used when leaving the van, for our habitation door I use this simple method and easier than a bolt.

F886A732-0B07-4D46-A7EC-9957011E3EDF.jpeg

John

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,138
    with personal safety, simple solutions often work best. Good idea John

8. Miss Trinity

Miss Trinity Funster

Ratings:
    +8
    pretty honest advise all round, it all depends on perspective, vehicle, and risk awareness. I have done a fair bit so just need to review a few of ya suggestions. Many thanks, Trinity =~,~=

9. Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise Funster

Ratings:
    +3,977
    If you do a search for Dead locks for Hymer. There is a good few pictures of some ideas.

10. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,367
    My deadlock is arranged in such a way that I can unlock it internally with a modified radiator key. I’ll try and find a photo to illustrate the setup.

11. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Ratings:
    +1,367
    Here you go.

upload_2019-1-16_20-41-42.jpeg

• Like it Like it x 2
  12. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +7,802
    Can undue Heosafe locks with just the turn of the knob when sleeping in the van.They can of course be locked with a key when you leave the van unattended,,think they are brilliant. BUSBY.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Basildog

Basildog Funster

Ratings:
    +1,273
    So now you have to worry about trying to find 2 different locks in a dark smoke filled vehicle ?
    Any additional security is only fooling the owners in my opinion and manufacturers have to build vehicles so the door opens with just a single operation for obvious safety reasons.
    I would rather lose my possessions than risk not being able to get out quickly.

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. busby

busby Funster

Ratings:
    +7,802
    No problem finding Heosafe knob in the dark but on my van that would not be the emergency exit. I have side sliding door that just locks on the opening handle..No need for extra security on it because for an intruder to enter the van through that door they would have to get in bed with me..I have a Heosafe lock fitted externally on that door for when we leave the van unattended..It is virtually impossible to thief proof anything but the more difficult you make it the less chance of theft. Mind you there is nothing of any value in the van but i suppose its the inconvenience of a break in.BUSBY

15. Chris51

Chris51 Funster

Ratings:
    +459
    I have fitted deadlocks to front/side doors and hasp/staple to inside rear.In an emergency we have large side openers that I would bail out of .

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +40,843
    • Like it Like it x 1