Motorhome fridge help (1 Viewer)

Royalma65

Free Member
Apr 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
euromobil
Hello everyone, first post here.

im very new to this but I have recently bought myself a euromobil motorhome. The fridge that is in it is a normal domestic fridge that only works when I’m hooked up to 240 v. I’m looking at buying a 3 way fridge to have installed but I think ( I can’t see any evidence of plumbing) the previous owner has cut the gas pipe and capped it off. If this is the case is it possible to run a 3 way as a 2 way if you like. Forget getting it hooked up to the gas and just run it off the 12v and 240v system. I’m thinking with the 12v it will run all the time. Sorry if this is a silly question but like I said I’m very new to all this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are only going to run it off of 12v or 240v you might as well keep the fridge you’ve got and power it via a inverter. The only reason to spend the big money that is a three way fridge is to be able to run it on gas.

The standard 3way fridge uses a lot of power on 12v and it’s that good whilst on it, and that is why they are only powered by 12v whilst driving, not when parked up. If you want a 12v fridge, and no gas then you really need to get a compressor fridge, if you don’t want to stay as you are with a 240v fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Sadly the 12volt side is really meant to be used when you are driving and the alternate is charging. Expect the fridge to draw around 10amps continuously, it will flatten a 100Ah battery in about 5 hours. That is to the safe 50% depth of discharge.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
3-way fridges are not as efficient as compressor fridges, and take a lot more power over a 24hr period. If you have a couple of 100Ah batteries you could possibly run one overnight on 12V but any longer and you would flatten the batteries. You'd need a few hundred watts of solar to have any chance of running one for days even in good weather.

If as Landy Andy suggests you run the existing fridge from an inverter, best to get one that's just enough power, rather than going for a big 1500W or 2000W one, because it will waste less power when in use for long periods. I'm not sure what you could manage with, maybe a 350W or 500W. Compressors have a high turn-on surge.

If you mostly go from driveway hookup to campsite hookup, you could wire the inverter so it's only powered when the engine is running.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
If the gas pope has been cut and capped off why not re commission it and have a 3 way fridge that will work off all 3
Welcome from Corby

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back