Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
With so many people buying the wrong van for their needs, I’m thinking of offering my services to newbies to help them buy their third van first. (Great tagline I thought)

I don’t want to source their van or inspect it before they buy it, rather give them a lengthy personal consultation ascertaining their requirement and offering buyers advice so together we can drill down to their perfect motorhome and not make the mistakes we see people make time and time again.

When they have found it, I can help them with the negotiation or maybe even do it on their behalf.

I’d guess with the time I put in I’d have to price this around the £250/£350 mark. Do you think I would I get many takers? Would you have liked a guiding hand when you made your first purchase?

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
With so many people buying the wrong van for their needs, I’m thinking of offering my services to newbies to help them buy their third van first. (Great tagline I thought)

I don’t want to source their van or inspect it before they buy it, rather give them a lengthy personal consultation ascertaining their requirement and offering buyers advice so together we can drill down to their perfect motorhome and not make the mistakes we see people make time and time again.

When they have found it, I can help them with the negotiation or maybe even do it on their behalf.

I’d guess with the time I put in I’d have to price this around the £250/£350 mark. Do you think I would I get many takers? Would you have liked a guiding hand when you made your first purchase?
You would have saved me a bleedin fortune! On our fourth one…. Youd have to compete against this great forum though!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We wouldn’t have needed it but we had a caravan so had half an idea.

The selling point for me would be the price negotiation though. I hate haggling, I reckon I would save a lot more than your fee for the convenience of someone else doing it for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
Definitely a market for advice and probably a hand with the negotiation. Sometimes in life though, people need to make their own mistakes to work out what they actually want. I would think that budget is a major factor for most peoples first campervan / motorhome though.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I'd be competing against myself, I already have a very useful buyers guide which I give away for free. It the one on one thing though, it can be priceless,
Just a joke Jim, go for it a great service

Reactions: Jim

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
£500‘ish would seem about right, with free MHF membership

I speak to my IFA and get billed at £300 per hour for his time, and £175 an hour, in addition to everything else his PA and Paralegal does.

Just given a planning consultant £350 for a site meeting, they £1200 ‘fee’ for them to issue a statutory declaration to the Planning Office, who charged £470 to ‘process’ the form

My Solicitor will be charging me £300 a hour to make the amendments to the deeds

People loose tens of thousands of pounds buying the wrong motorhome so five hundred is cheap, especially as you’ll probably get that much knocked of the screen price for the buyer anyway making your services free

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
A potential buyer has all the necessary information on here if they want it… good or bad…

the thing is you can give all your knowledge and information then they’ll go and buy what they want on impulse….😆

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’m for one against this idea, while you are galavanting off who is going to cut the grass and feed the chickens at Jasmin. We are due for another visit soon and I don’t want knee high grass and fence jumping chickens trying to scrounge food.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

How about making a free video or written guide to new paid members?

might be more palatable than a large upfront cost for consultancy

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I think one of the issues is that what a newcomer (and their partner-person) initially thinks is absolutely essential or unimportant changes after buying and spending a few weeks in it. I had 27 years experience of layouts, features and facilities with various 25 to 30 foot sailing boats prior to motorhoming so I still have my first and only motorhome.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Great idea Jim, the difficulty you will have is that those new to motorhomes( your idea customer) will not be able to put a value on your service, unless you can provide them with costings/ potential losses of them buying the wrong vans, bearing mind that depreciation on vans currently is very low.
if you consider that many new buyers will have spent a lot of time and money running around looking at shows and dealers trying to get an idea of what’s available and what may suit them, they need you to reduce all that.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning

I speak to my IFA and get billed at £300 per hour for his time, and £175 an hour, in addition to everything else his PA and Paralegal does.

Just given a planning consultant £350 for a site meeting, they £1200 ‘fee’ for them to issue a statutory declaration to the Planning Office, who charged £470 to ‘process’ the form

My Solicitor will be charging me £300 a hour to make the amendments to the deeds

People loose tens of thousands of pounds buying the wrong motorhome so five hundred is cheap, especially as you’ll probably get that much knocked of the screen price for the buyer anyway making your services free
Whilst I think the idea is a sound one you do need to remember that advice from an FCA authorised professional IFA will be covered by Professional Indemnity Insurance so in the event the advice proves erroneous clients can get financial recourse vis FOS.

With this in mind I would make sure that your backside is covered in the event of issues with the purchase of a MH you have recommended as you will have no real control over what is eventually bought.

You can see the complaints now…”I was advised by Jim @ MHF to buy xxxxxx and it leaks like a sieve and my kitchen door fell off”…or words to that effect!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I think at that price you would be underselling yourself.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I think it is a goer PROVIDED:-

You can convince newbys it will save them money in the long term.

The problem is most of us thaugjt we had a good idea of what we were doing.
And what was important.....

Convincing us otherwise is the key to success.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Sounds like a goer to me Jim. As above was said first timers don't really know what they want/need so having someone to tease it out of them would be beneficial and in the long run maybe cost effective. Again as said above if you can negotiate the price down below your fees they have lost nothing.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
With this in mind I would make sure that your backside is covered in the event of issues with the purchase of a MH you have recommended as you will have no real control over what is eventually bought.
A written specification (wish list) from the buyer would be a sensible, if not essential starting point which can be modified and agreed during discussion. Most purchases are a compromise anyway.
You can see the complaints now…”I was advised by Jim @ MHF to buy xxxxxx and it leaks like a sieve and my kitchen door fell off”…or words to that effect!
Jim isn't offering a 'survey' so faults wouldn't be his responsibility.

Last edited:

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
We’ve bought the wrong first van. We’re hoping to see a nice one for us this weekend at the show at Bath snd west. We’ve already lost 5-6k with what we paid and what the same dealer will give us to part ex with them. Due to 3.5t limit we’re restricted on what we can buy. We think we want a front lounge with pull out bed. I think fixed beds and over cab ones will be more weight. However with the lack of hgv drivers I’m tempted to do my test as feel it could get a bit more relaxed. Not sure it’s worth the week off work and money though

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I think it woud work, I just sold through a broker, and although it isnt the same as what you are proposing it has some elements. One big one being the fact youd know the price ball park and can negotiate for those that dont have a clue/unwilling to be firm with the seller etc.

You also have some "Leverage" in regards if the "seller" was a company then they would possibly get good reviews here thus enabling better business for them, and the best price for the purchaser.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
All three vans and a trailer tent we bought were perfect for us, at the time. We used to be able to holiday on a motorcycle, pre child, and packed everything easily. Now running rapidly out of space and payload on a 3500kg A Class. Your advice may stop them buying the first wrong van but their circumstances will change so no matter how ideal it was at first they almost certainly change vans anyways.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
There is at least one YouTuber doing something similar for motorhomes and caravans Jim, I do not know how busy he is but he is busy doing a two week vehicle test from a manufacturer at presen, so I am guessing not too busy consulting.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why do they buy the wrong van , rose tinted glasses, excitement, desperation

People spend 10-20x the amount on a house but don't want to pay for a survey to see if it's falling down so I think a paid service where you choose a van for them wouldn't work.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I understand the point but you need to buy the first van to find out what you want or don’t and I don’t believe you. No disrespect or anybody could extract that information.
I would have said I was adamant I wanted a garage I found the perfect van. We did research on the forums Two years later I’m down to a panel van and happy. Another two years and we are back to an Adria 670slt. This would have been flatly refused first time twin beds and no garage.
It’s the third van thing it’s the law:LOL: you must have at least three motor homes.
Also Eddie Vanbitz would have sold two Strikeback and growlers less. Not good for his business (y)
I think you would need to have good insurance cover against a customer embellishing the truth saying you gave them the wrong information.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

At £300 an hour your Financial advisor should be advising you to become a Financial advisor.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Great idea Jim.

I would definitely use your services.

Especially if the salesman looked harder than me. :giggle:

Go for it. I think £500 is a decent fee.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Please don’t tell me that’s Gadget Johns latest venture !
No thank god, the guy he is talking about is Andrew Ditton, but I dont think Andrew is pushing it now that he has got the manufacturers giving him vehicles to review again.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
And if they don’t like their van they will be off to their solicitor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun