chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Good evening, i have an MOT booked for tomorrow, the person who booked me in asked what it was, when i said its a motorcaravan under 3500 kgs she said that will be class 7, i always thought that it was classed the same as a car which is class 4. I don't want to argue with her, but is she correct? Thanks Chas.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Mine have been class 4.
I used to drive a minibus which was done as a class 7.
However, this now is done as a class 5.

If I remember correctly a class 5 simply means all the seatbelts in the mini bus have to be checked.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chasper

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Thanks for the replies, i have looked at the logbook and it states that the body type is Motorcaravan and the taxation class is Private/Light Goods (PLG) and as i stated earlier Revenue weight is 3500 KG Gross, curiouser and curiouser! Chas.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies, i have looked at the logbook and it states that the body type is Motorcaravan and the taxation class is Private/Light Goods (PLG) and as i stated earlier Revenue weight is 3500 KG Gross, curiouser and curiouser! Chas.
They obviously don't test many motorhomes.
If you go ahead insist it's class 4 and if they don't agree.... Walk, or should I say drive, away

Class 7 MOTs are for commercial vehicles weighing between 3,000kg and 3,500kg design gross weight. Cars and smaller vans require a Class 4 MOT.

Motorhomes are not commercial vehicles, they are classed as passenger vehicles with less than 8 seats

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Yep our is 4500kg still class 4.
In our log book there are no emission figures ? Ours is 4600 Kg’s and is listed as a PHG but still class 4, had a bit of a problem trying to find a garage to test it ?, sorted after a bit of searching, now go back every year

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chasper

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Had MOT today (passed no problems) guess what.... its a class 7! When i asked why not class 4 he said there is no difference. Will not be using them ever again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
maybe your van had been previously tested as a class 7, its on the vehicle detail screen when you log in to do a test and it is possible to change it so if it is obviously a class 4 they could have changed it, class 7 test is slightly dearer and basically the only difference is a check on tyre load ratings

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So now it is motd as class 7 instead of class 4....is pappajohn correct when he says possibly not legal. Any mot gurus confirm this ????

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Had MOT today (passed no problems) guess what.... its a class 7! When i asked why not class 4 he said there is no difference. Will not be using them ever again.

Class 7 MOT is for good carring commercial vehicles and I doubt your MH is either.

I would check with your insurers as to how you stand with this, or go and get it re MOTed at another testing station.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Class 7 MOT is for good caring commercial vehicles and I doubt your MH is either.

I would check with your insurers as to how you stand with this, or go and get it re MOTed at another testing station.
Check it out, better safe than sorry, as I would imagine the onus is yours

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Had mine MOT’d by Halfords 2 weeks ago

When I booked it they said it was class 7
I said no it’s class 4 says motorhome on the log book.
I booked it in
When I went to pay £39:85 they said. Our computer says class 7 same price and same test your van has passed.

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
cant see it being a problem if tested as a class 7 as if you had a business and used motorhome garage to cart stock it would be a class 7 test

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
cant see it being a problem if tested as a class 7 as if you had a business and used motorhome garage to cart stock it would be a class 7 test

Cloud 7 would just mean it was legal to carry goods commercially. I can't see it being a problem. Mine was MOTed N2 when I got it. Class 4 now, though. I wasn't worried driving around on N2.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There's a very good chance you don't have a legitimate MOT.
I would contact VOSA and make enquiries.
I'm sure they will be very interested.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And how would you explain that to your insurers in the event of a claim?
It's isn't used for business and doesn't carry business stock.... Its a motorhome.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why would it be a problem class 7 is a better test as tyre load ratings are checked, you could have tyres well below the rating for the axle weight and still pass a class 4
I'm sure it is better..... But the vehicle ISN'T a commercial vehicle.

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'm sure it is better..... But the vehicle ISN'T a commercial vehicle.
Class 4 just restricts the vehicle to non-commercial uses. There's no harm in having a Class 7 (or N2) if the vehicle can pass one. Many motorhomes have to be Class 7 (or N2) as their pattern of usage counts as commercial.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2018
I had my first MOT on my MH a few weeks ago at a Ford main dealer.
Having seen this thread I decided to check my certificate and noticed that mine has also been tested to class 7.
I emailed the dealer this morning and they have confirmed it was MOT'd in the wrong class.
They have now agreed to retest the MH later this week in the correct class 4 free of charge.
Thanks for raising the question and for all the replies.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Testing out of class is considered a very serious offense by DVSA
If you cant identify correctly the vehicle test class how can you be relied upon to test to the correct standard.
Those of you who think 4 is the same class as 7 should ask yourselves why there are two distinc classes
The answer is in the manual which im sure you have all read otherwise why comment.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Just check on Gov website my van is MOT’d. Even though is was tested as class7
Surely if it was wrong they would not agree to the certificate supplied by the test station? Just like taking a HGV through a car MOT it would pass the inspection but would it be legal I hope that it would be picked up by the DVLA. But then again they are civil servants😀

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Testing out of class is considered a very serious offense by DVSA
If you cant identify correctly the vehicle test class how can you be relied upon to test to the correct standard.
Those of you who think 4 is the same class as 7 should ask yourselves why there are two distinc classes
The answer is in the manual which im sure you have all read otherwise why comment.

The class required is a negotiation on agreeing what the vehicle is presented as. A motorhome could be Class 4, Class 7 or Class N2 depending on the owner's usage patterns and can't be determined solely by looking at the vehicle and its V5.

For example, if you used your coachbuilt > 3000kg motorhome to go from show to show, carrying goods for sale, then you'd need 7/N2, even if the van had no garage. The tester can't be expected to know that the vehicle is used for this purpose unless you tell them. Conversely, a commerically tested motorhome can still be used for personal purposes, so I see no disadvantage to a Class 7/N2 over a Class 4, except that they may be harder to obtain.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No negotiations here im afraid its all laid down and tested to the manual
Questions yes negotiations a firm NO
My name on the ticket not the owner/presenters
But yet again this is why I rarely comment on MoT matters these days far too many experts on here
Authorised examiners and full time testers are not required

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back