MOT an allowed reason to travel? (1 Viewer)

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Businesses and venues which can remain open
Other businesses and venues are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 secure guidelines. Businesses providing essential goods and services can stay open. [The list includes...]
• businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services
• petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair garages and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses

So if MOT services are in the list of businesses that are allowed to stay open because they provide "essential goods and services", does that mean that going for an MOT is allowed?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I took our van for its MOT 10 days ago only a few miles away and booked in no issues.

just respect the normal ( current normal ) distancing and wipe contols over .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Yes, all fine, our BMW garage came and collected ours this morning for a service and mot, returning it tomorrow, if you are worried about it you should ask if your garage does the same.
Bill

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Other businesses and venues are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 secure guidelines. Businesses providing essential goods and services can stay open. [The list includes...]
• businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services
• petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair garages and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses

So if MOT services are in the list of businesses that are allowed to stay open because they provide "essential goods and services", does that mean that going for an MOT is allowed?

"Essential activities​

You can leave home to buy things at shops or obtain services where necessary. You may also leave your home to do these things on behalf of a disabled or vulnerable person or someone self-isolating."

Before 30 March 2020 or after 31 July 2020​

You must book an MOT as usual.

When you must not take your vehicle for its MOT

You must not take your vehicle for its MOT if:

You must stay at home (self-isolate) if any of these situations apply.

If you’re shielding​

You must not take your vehicle for its MOT if you’re shielding because you’re clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus.

This applies even if you have not received your shielding letter yet.

Check the guidance about shielding in England, Scotland and Wales.

Some MOT centres will collect your vehicle, carry out an MOT, and return it if you’re being shielded. Contact your local MOT centres to find out if they offer this service.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I got 2 new tyres fitted this morning and the place I went to also do MOT's and they were very busy...

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
My dealer who does mine is 55 miles away at Eastbourne. As the van is on SORN I will leave it until I can use it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

In that link it says

You can leave home to buy things at shops or obtain services where necessary

I would think that MOT is classed as a service and the law requiring one would make it necessary.

Geoff

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had mine done last week as well, it's only a mile to the workshop so didn't get a decent run.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think theres little doubt it's allowed. If though you happened to be stopped a fair distance from home because you prefer a particular garage that could be more difficult to justify.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
A 2 mile trip for mot allowed.
A 150 mile trip for hab check required for warranty not?
Last years was done a week before lockdown, what was experience of others in terms of manufacturers deferring requirements?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back