Most important accessories (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
As we hope to shortly take delivery of our first motorhome we were wondering what should be the first accessories we will need. What would be peoples top three? Levelling chocs? Something to put down outside the door (those slot together foam mats)? Windbreak? We have mains hookup cable and water hose but thats about all.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
An "each to their own" question. For us it's a Satnav, outside chairs and leveling blocks. But what is an accessory? Our motorhome did not come with a hookup lead as this was considered a discretionary accessory. Really? One person's accessory is another's necessity.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Th OH says a Cadac Safari Chef gas barbaque/ cooking system.

This allows ME to do the cooking when we go away!

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Sat nav has to be the first. No question there.

Two and three are a little harder.

Looking back, I became mildly obsessed with buying good, comfortable outside chairs. My search ended with Isabella.

My third is a Grunwerg stainless steel, double walled cafetiere. Good coffee is essential, in my view.

And good crockery, but that's No. 4.

Yes, yes, a corkscrew is vital, but many wine bottles have screw tops these days. A good bottle of Bombay Sapphire is openable by hand, as is Schweppes tonic. And so is Caol Isla single malt.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I would not be too keen to rush into buying accessories. Most of us have done it and realised that most are not as necessary as we thought. Maybe best to see what's needed as you go along. It's not usually too difficult to nip out and get that vital item, even abroad.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We're getting an AutoCruise which has a little cupboard for two wine bottles and four glasses. Not sure if theres space for a bottle opener. We've found that screw tops aren't as common abroad for some reason. We've bought so many openers when we've been abroad (cos we forgot one) we could open a shop.

Upvote 0

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I'm new to the joys of owning a motorhome myself, but after our trial run outside my parents' house last night have decided to get a notebook and pencil first! I'm going to list the essentials such as pots and pans, plates etc pretty much the same essentials that I would take on a tent camping trip. With that covered, I know we'll survive and can take it from there I guess!

Upvote 0

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Best thing we bought was duvaly's memory mattress with built in duvet but would depend on you van layout
As others have said don't rush into it, take things from the house first and see how you get on
Far too easy to go to an Aladdin's cave and buy things (sorry Peter)

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
a very large bank balance. then go to johns shop and get him to do some work.helping you spend it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
The 1st thing we bought was a 15tog 3 in 1 Goose down Duvet :thumb:
oh & Taylor Made screen 2nd hand from eBay

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not including bottle open/corkscrew, plates, satnav etc. which are normal "everyday"items, The first "dedicated" motorhome items were solar panels, alugas bottle & LED's.
Oh, & the Aires book.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Reversing Camera

If you have carpets, take them up and use doormat inside the van.

Just take stuff from home before you buy anything just for the MH:thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I suggest you buy nothing.... take what you need to wash, cook and sleep, a map and perhaps a good novel or travel book.

So many fill their vans up with stuff that never gets used.. buy as you need.. you will find nearly everything you forget or want in supermarkets access Europe..

Another tip...
Leave the world behind.. you don't need a TV, laptop, tablet, wifi access, or even a phone.. escape from the everyday life by leaving it at home.. and I promise you will have a much better time.. you will find things to do, talk to each other more and generally get out and about..

It will feel strange at first, but after a few days you will relax.. and that is what it's all about.. escape.. if you take all the trappings of home with you... why go in the first place.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We always "filled" the van with what my wife insisted on were essentials-2 tins of beans,toms,green beans,stewed steak,peas, you get the drift :winky:As we used one of these we nearly always went to a supermarket to replace what we had used and in most cases there was still one of it left :Doh:--Now I still take the odd tin of beans/soup but more importantly my wallet--Shopping around local shops passes the hour and makes visiting places more interesting :Smile:You find things that you wished you bought more of and things you regret buying ::bigsmile:
Don't rush to go out and buy the things you think you need,wait and see what you need ::bigsmile:
Every yr I cleared out the cupboards in the van and threw most of the essentials because they had gone out of date and the ones that were not got put back in :Doh: Now I carry a few bits and buy most things as I need them but always have stuff for the odd snack and drink -We once broke down and waited around 4 hrs for recovery -being new then we had emptied all the water etc,not even a bit to flush the loo :Eeek:I ended up walking about a mile and knocking on someones door asking to fill a gallon water bottle ::bigsmile: Never done it again /lesson learned -we did not die or anything but of course it was all my fault even though Ann was the one who insisted dropping everything :Smile:
terry

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You don't need a windbreak - your MH is your windbreak. If it's too windy sit behind it or inside it, or go somewhere less windy.

As well as levelling chocks it's handy to have one of those little two-way spirit level things that you put on the floor to tell you when you're level, and the yellow plastic sand mats for the tyres can be useful if you're parked on soft or soggy ground.

The single most useful extra is a solar panel and charge controller, and if you can stretch to a refillable gas cylinder you can be a lot more independent when travelling.

Like others have said, a SatNav helps no end, but make sure you download useful POI files for it like supermarkets, gas stockists (or Autogas outlets for the refillable), campsites, aires, MH friendly parking spots, low bridges, narrow roads and so on - they're all out there for free.

A basic toolkit including a few drill bits and a charged power screwdriver/drill for any on the spot repairs - it's a house on wheels, would you try to live with no toolkit in your house? Duck tape and cable ties always have their uses. A tube of MH/caravan sealant and a sealant gun are essential.

As many 12v cables as you can get for any gadgets you take along - that way you don't have to hook up to an EHU.

A black plastic jerrycan and a clear plastic one. The former for grey water, the latter for clean water. You may not always be able to get close to the service point, or you might want to sneak round the queue.

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We bought our 'van from a couple who were giving up motorhoming and we were just beginning, so we got everything with the 'van. Among the things that we have never used - in 4 years - are an awning, silver screens and levelling blocks. That's not strictly true, we did try to use the levelling blocks once and the 'van slipped off the back of them and the front of one of the blocks became embedded in the wheel arch. We had to dig a hole underneath to release it. Now we just make sure that we park on a reasonably level pitch. We also had a rooftop box that opened on the opposite side to our ladder, so it would have meant climbing on the roof to access it. The box couldn't be turned around because it was aerodynamically shaped - so we sold it.

We have bought a Garmin Sat Nav and find that it has saved many arguments. However, we also bought a Trucker's atlas for planning UK journeys. The Sat Nav occasionally wants to take us places we don't want to go so, using the atlas, we can program it to go a different route.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A mobile phone with data for emergencies, a first aid kit and waterproofs for all the rain Scotland chucks at us.

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I like to get "away from it all"so my only real essentials are

Mobile phone x 2
IPad
Notebook PC
Sat nav x 2
USB hard drive
Chargers various
mifi
iboost

And a couple of bottles of red!

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
1) Solar panel with Gaslow then motorhoming costs nothing (in the summer in France)

2) Lightweight comfy storeable chairs

3) As previously mentioned the Cadac Safari Chef but fork out extra for the paella dish so you can then use the lid as a lid and you have a little oven.

Satnav nearly makes it but I ve only just bought one after getting lost (See numerous well informed threads on the Chinese Lorry Satnav) Aire book is a priority but it is possible to get round that. Cant believe ppl are suggesting corkscrews, why arent they buying in bulk and using a funnel to put into the used Super U iced tea bottles ???

Upvote 0

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
Gaffa tape,
WD40,
Breakdown membership card.
Credit & bank cards,

Robust sense of the ridiculous.

That should cover it.

Above all leave your worry gland and take your fun gland.

go for it .

DON`T WASTE TIME THINKING ABOUT IT.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back