Moselle to Mosel end to end September 2019 (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are in the mid planning stage for our late holiday this year (y)

First decision was to try and not cover too many miles

Second and biggest choice and cost option, that also made the eyes moist, this will be our first holiday without Lola, this has meant we can now revert to our preferred crossing option of Hull / Zeebrugge, far more expensive but sooooo much nicer to get to and from Hull compared to Folkestone. We also love the on board part of the trip, choosing to pay more for a club cabin

First check for a crossing nearly had me eating my words and going back to Eurotunnel, north sea ferries wanted just over £1000 return :LOL:, in September :LOL:, remembered a couple of posters suggesting C and MHC give good prices for this route, so tried them and virtually halved the price, so booked quickly having made sure I hadn't missed off the motor home or something equally critical like that (y), booked and paid £540

Sail out on 14th September, return from Zeebrugge on the 1st October

Mum booked in at her BUPA place that we love and she really doesn't appreciate, with a few days grace at each end for 'us time' to prepare

So now where to go?

Reading the Mosel threads have given us a taste to try there, but we like France so plan on a bit of France as well, plus I really like Bruge and also have never been to Ypres

So that created a sort of route plan, still to decide which way to travel the Mosel / Moselle / Mosel, but think it might be France into Germany then back via Ypres and Bruges (y)

Maybe not night one, but possibly second night will be in this area

I will update plans as they develop, we bought a book called Most Beautiful villages in France but keep forgetting to use, that with CC for aires and hopefully good use out of the new bikes, it should be fun :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I'm obliged Sir. Bookings cancelled. With your luck the ship will surely sink. We'll also avoid the Moselle, it will probably set a new level for flooding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
David I would recommend a visit to Ypres. apart from the Last Post it's a lovely little city. My only word of advice would be to book the site in the centre as soon as you know you'll be going, the site is lovely and easy 10 min walk to Menin Gate. The reason I say this we visited last October without booking and got the last pitch with a few being turned away afterwards.

An interesting fact we found out from the BL in town, anyone can buy a wreath and join in. If you had a family member killed in the war you're more than welcome to lay a wreath.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Starting from Rotterdam I would head for Koblenz for starters and head up river from there
Lots of places to stay and visit depending on what you like to do
If you have bikes take them there is a good cycle network
In September you should be able to find a wine festival if you fancy one
Scenery we find gets a bit samey when you get down near Trier lots of fields of vines
You could always go the other direction as well :rolleyes:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Garfields we are starting from Zeebrugge, but same logic applies (y)

thinking we will head into the wine regions rather than starting there (y) although most of France grows wine as well, but the German festivals sound more fun

I need convincing that the Germans and fun go together in the same sentence, based on previous personal life experiences to date, but I always have an open mind, don't want to miss things I might like :)

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Sounds like it’s going to be busy with funsters ☺️ We’re heading over to the Moselle/Black Forest first week in September for most of the month. Trying to plan our route too but we’ll be using the Tunnel as we have ? with us.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Garfields

I need convincing that the Germans and fun go together in the same sentence, based on previous personal life experiences to date, but I always have an open mind, don't want to miss things I might like :)

We have met a few that have turned out to be fairly bonkers once you get to know them a bit.
As everywhere there are is the odd grumpy git as well

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Might see you out there David, I'm travelling from Newcastle to Amsterdam on 10th September, planning on heading for the Mosel area.
I don't have as long as you there though, as only off work for two weeks.
A week earlier and you could have gone to Dusseldorf (y)

Looks like there may be a few of us around the area, we are at Dusseldorf from the 1st and then have about 3 weeks spare at the end of the show.

Martin

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Just for your info, we have done a bit of the Mosel in Germany and it's just beautiful! Going back there in September ourselves. Before you depart, check where the wine festivals are going to be while you are there.
We have also wandered down the Moselle in France and were disappointed as it's nowhere near as nice as Germany.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We are in the mid planning stage for our late holiday this year (y)

First decision was to try and not cover too many miles

Second and biggest choice and cost option, that also made the eyes moist, this will be our first holiday without Lola, this has meant we can now revert to our preferred crossing option of Hull / Zeebrugge, far more expensive but sooooo much nicer to get to and from Hull compared to Folkestone. We also love the on board part of the trip, choosing to pay more for a club cabin

First check for a crossing nearly had me eating my words and going back to Eurotunnel, north sea ferries wanted just over £1000 return :LOL:, in September :LOL:, remembered a couple of posters suggesting C and MHC give good prices for this route, so tried them and virtually halved the price, so booked quickly having made sure I hadn't missed off the motor home or something equally critical like that (y), booked and paid £540

Mum booked in at her BUPA place that we love and she really doesn't appreciate, with a few days grace at each end for 'us time' to prepare

So now where to go?

Reading the Mosel threads have given us a taste to try there, but we like France so plan on a bit of France as well, plus I really like Bruge and also have never been to Ypres

So that created a sort of route plan, still to decide which way to travel the Mosel / Moselle / Mosel, but think it might be France into Germany then back via Ypres and Bruges (y)

Maybe not night one, but possibly second night will be in this area

I will update plans as they develop, we bought a book called Most Beautiful villages in France but keep forgetting to use, that with CC for aires and hopefully good use out of the new bikes, it should be fun :)
We just booked the tunnel 8 SEP back 6 oct £103 out £97 back so £200 return.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Going to or from Mosel this is quite an interesting place
We hope to stop there on the way out (y) been before but the boat trips were not running as it was November, nice place for a bike ride along the canal DavidG58 decent sized aire very close by.

Martin

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I need convincing that the Germans and fun go together

Germans and quality of life go together. If you want good sites, good food, good wine then Germany is for you. When you get down to the Austrian border it's magnificent. If you haven't visited Neuschwanstein you are missing out.

As someone has said, the Moselle is the similar end to end but the towns, Bernkastel, Cocham are a tourist's dream. Koblenz is proper big with the junction with the Rhein and the Kaiser overlooking it all.

If you haven't easten Schwatzwaltkirchetorte in Sankt Goar you haven't lived.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
We're off to the Mosel in a week or two and planning where to go. I read on one site (Rick Steves?) that the most picturesque bit is between Cochem and Bernkastel-Kues, so we will start with that bit and see how it goes. Koblenz for the meeting point of the rivers and then, depending on weather and other factors, our travels may take us down the Rhine towards the the Black Forest in September.

Also someone at Pickering (probably Hills and Glenns) recommended Saarburg (obviously on the Saar rather than the Mosel), so we might have a look there too on the way north.

If you haven't easten Schwatzwaltkirchetorte in Sankt Goar you haven't lived.

Is there a particular cafe/bakery you recommend?

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks to German privacy I can't walk down the main street in Sankt Goar but if you do you'll spot the unbelievable experience in a shop window. It's on the left when walking north, just before you get to the biggest Cuckoo Clock.
Oh no! Two candidates: Backerei Krechel and Cafe und Backer St Goar. Both on the correct side of the street. Krechel is nearer the cuckoo clock, I reckon, but Cafe und Backer gets great reviews on Tripadvisor! We might be forced into two cafe's. Have to stay a couple of nights to establish it beyond all doubt!

Strange that a cafe outside the Black Forest has the best cake and the biggest cuckoo clock. Maybe we are making a mistake in planning to visit the BF.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have to stay a couple of nights to establish it beyond all doubt!

This is a sound plan. But it may stretch to 4 as you ponder "was it Krechel, was it Backer ??".

If only the railways would stop at night we'd make that our number one stop in Germany. Front pitch, watch all life sail past.

The when you've done the cake might I suggest the Neckar and take a boat to Heidelberg, yet another stunning Germany city.

Then on to the Rhein Falls.

The Black Forest doesn't figure in our love of Germany.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
The when you've done the cake might I suggest the Neckar and take a boat to Heidelberg, yet another stunning Germany city.
That's on the list in my head as well as is the place with the technical museum but I need to have a look at it all on a map to sort it all out. We both have watches made in a place in the BF, so quite fancy going to see where they were made. Is the Black Forest not all it's made out to be, then?

I'm trying to remember which year I camped on the banks of the Neckar and went to Heidelberg. I think it was probably 1970 or 1971. What I do know is that the site was down a steep hill from the road and we had to change the clutch on my dad's Rover 100 before towing the trailer back up it. It started to slip as we left home in Cheshire, we bought all the necessary bits at the Rover dealer in Cambridge before a crossing from Felixstowe. My dad took the car round a few garages in the area near the site but nobody wanted to touch it. In the end, he and a German chap, aided by me, changed it on the site. Seats out, gearbox out through the passenger compartment, clutch changed and everything back in the same way. To be honest, that was the highlight of the holiday, I think. There's an 8mm cine film somewhere with some evidence. I have some odd spares left from that car in my garage and I reckon one of them is an unused clutch release bearing. He must have reused the old one.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is the Black Forest not all it's made out to be, then?

40 years ago we had a Holy Quest, find the real Black Forest Gateau. Those days we Eurocamped. The only BFG we found was a frozen one in a supermarket. I recall it was OK. But the Moselle/Rhein are spectacular.

The following year we did Switzerland, the memory of the Black Forest soon faded.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just spotted that Schengen is on our route, didn’t even know it was a real place ?
Schengen is a bit of a let down but 1 mile north is fantastic lovely area
Trier is a must stellaplast is not good but the town is well worth 2 days
If I would recommend one thing just meander up slowly we did 5 miles a day for 3 weeks and had a fantastic time then spoiled it by going into north france
I wish we had stayed on the river for a extra month
Enjoy

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We have the tunnel book after the Malvern show on the Monday, night at Citi Europe then Ypres 2 nights then a steady mosey along the Moselle to Koblenz then head up to Dusseldorf for the show then ????? until tunnel return on the 6th Oct cant wait :party3::party3:

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
I've been told in no uncertain terms that Dusseldorf is NOT on our itinerary! I only want to go to the accessory hall.....honest.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I am only going to Dusseldorf to see what I could buy if I won the lottery!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back