Apr 15, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
Hoping to also be going early January 2023 🙂
Currently halfway down the Adriatic side of Italy getting this weekend ferry to Greece from Brindisi then touring around Greece and Turkey until early June then heading back home, then off again July until early September so by the time we've all that done we'll need a holiday in Maroc 🙂

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I'll be honest it scares us a little bit, just not sure at all, even though i've read that loads of travellers love it, i've also read the very opposite from loads of travellers.

I see you've said "it helps to cross together"

May I ask why, I read that as "safety in no's"

I'm very interested tbh in how it goes for all of you and what things you all get up to so will be reading with interest.

Couple of questions, how long does the ferry take and an approx return cost for an 8.8 mtr motorhome

cheers

Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
helps to cross together.
Why do you say that? Since Tangier Med opened the crossing has been very easy, a little strange sometimes but not much different to Dover, Calais. We have been going there for over 40 years and never had a problem. All you really need is patience and all the correct documents and a very small spattering of French.

It could take half an hour to get through the port, it could take half a day but it doesn't really matter when you are on holiday, just all part of the experience with many more to follow. I have never ever paid a tip or bribe and only very rarely "Something for the Children"
I haven't been for four years but I am sure it will not have changed except for the better.

For Al n Val last time we crossed, it was €200 from Carlos for an open ferry ticket almost regardless of size. But it has probably changed after the pandemic if Carlos's shop is still going. The ferry's rarely ran to time (always at least an hour late) but a very smooth crossing just long enough to que up to get your passports stamped by the Police on-board.
I think you will find something in the files section explaining the whole process.

You need your vehicle documents including for a scooter or motorbike if you carry one.

There is a road sign at some junctions that looks looks like a taboggan, it is a STOP sign and you MUST stop. Look both was a couple of times and put your handbrake on so that your wheels are DEFINITELY stationary for a few seconds. There are often police hiding waiting to give foreigners a hefty on the spot fine.

Just go for it, it is a wonderful experience, well worth it.

Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Last time we crossed it was a bit of a zoo but that was from Ceutas

sounds like Tangier is much better
Yes Ceuta was a zoo as was Tangier but Tangier Med is a modern port with just a little bit of Morocco process mixed in. Gone are the touts and beggars. But the light grey suits with the gold braid still like to hang on to the old ways. We will probably be going in Jan 23 but probably on our own. Take the clockwise route and spend as much time in Tafrout and Mazouga as possible.
It is a wonderful country and we feel very much safer there than in Europe and we are in our late 70’s.
Steve

Jul 28, 2021
Tiverton, UK
Funster No
MH
rapido i1090
Exp
since 1996
Why do you say that? Since Tangier Med opened the crossing has been very easy, a little strange sometimes but not much different to Dover, Calais. We have been going there for over 40 years and never had a problem. All you really need is patience and all the correct documents and a very small spattering of French.

It could take half an hour to get through the port, it could take half a day but it doesn't really matter when you are on holiday, just all part of the experience with many more to follow. I have never ever paid a tip or bribe and only very rarely "Something for the Children"
I haven't been for four years but I am sure it will not have changed except for the better.

For Al n Val last time we crossed, it was €200 from Carlos for an open ferry ticket almost regardless of size. But it has probably changed after the pandemic if Carlos's shop is still going. The ferry's rarely ran to time (always at least an hour late) but a very smooth crossing just long enough to que up to get your passports stamped by the Police on-board.
I think you will find something in the files section explaining the whole process.

You need your vehicle documents including for a scooter or motorbike if you carry one.

There is a road sign at some junctions that looks looks like a taboggan, it is a STOP sign and you MUST stop. Look both was a couple of times and put your handbrake on so that your wheels are DEFINITELY stationary for a few seconds. There are often police hiding waiting to give foreigners a hefty on the spot fine.

Just go for it, it is a wonderful experience, well worth it.

Steve
all of the above very true, we have been to Morocco about 10 times and loved it,, safer than Spain we think, i find you have to get away from the top of Morocco below Rabat or inland to get the best

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
When we returned home two years ago due to the Covid panic, literally by the skin of our teeth as we got the very last ferry (which they held for us!) into Algeciras, we exited via Ceuta. To be honest we had no problems. We've always used Tanger-Med which, as said above, is a modern, well set up port and spits you out straight onto the motorway system, avoiding having to negotiate the initially strange Tanger city.

For anyone interested I'd suggest reading a few of the old Morocco threads, 2016 being particularly good as it has lots of photos. If you look in the Resources section (dark blue line at the top of the page) you'll find my Morocco article which sets out almost everything you need to know - it's a couple of years old now but probably still valid, except maybe for prices of course.

As a re-opening offer Carlos (Guitterez) is currently offering a round trip ticket, van and 2 persons, for 180 euros.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We are also interested in going.
We have been putting it off for several years, partly due to being unsure about the paperwork requirements and a certain fear of the unknown. Words I never EVER thought I would consider as a factor in my life !! Getting older is a bugger !! 75 is just a number and I didn’t think I would live this long, with some very fortunate escapes in the Queens “Green gang” for 25 years.
SO, now is the time !! ( Sand is getting lower in the timer)…
I take it Carlos is in a portacabin in Algeciras ?
Sorry if this bores the Marocco Veterans.
Mitch.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We are also interested in going.
We have been putting it off for several years, partly due to being unsure about the paperwork requirements and a certain fear of the unknown. Words I never EVER thought I would consider as a factor in my life !! Getting older is a bugger !! 75 is just a number and I didn’t think I would live this long, with some very fortunate escapes in the Queens “Green gang” for 25 years.
SO, now is the time !! ( Sand is getting lower in the timer)…
I take it Carlos is in a portacabin in Algeciras ?
Sorry if this bores the Marocco Veterans.
Mitch.
Carlos has a small unit next carrefour at Palmones, with a convenient overnight park for the night before.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
As a re-opening offer Carlos (Guitterez) is currently offering a round trip ticket, van and 2 persons, for 180 euros.

Thats good news Terry. I must say im surprised as checking online with Frs last week itvwas more than that one way.

Sorry Missed you guys in Shrewsbury last week, clashing dates.
Jon

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
In 2005 I drove to Banjul, in Gambia, as part of the Plymouth to Banjul " banger" rally. I loved Morocco, but because we'd had a breakdown had to keep moving. We left Gibralta at 05:00am and driving non-stop got to Agadir at 01:00am the following morning.
We stopped for a few days in Dakhla in Western Sahara, and at that time there were lots of motorhomes at the beginning of the peninsular.
I always hoped I'd get back there in a MH, ( I didn't own one for another 10 years) but being realistic, I don't think that will ever happen. :(
Also, from Google, I can see that the areas where the MHs were is now a tourist resort.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
In 2005 I drove to Banjul, in Gambia, as part of the Plymouth to Banjul " banger" rally. I loved Morocco, but because we'd had a breakdown had to keep moving. We left Gibralta at 05:00am and driving non-stop got to Agadir at 01:00am the following morning.
We stopped for a few days in Dakhla in Western Sahara, and at that time there were lots of motorhomes at the beginning of the peninsular.
I always hoped I'd get back there in a MH, ( I didn't own one for another 10 years) but being realistic, I don't think that will ever happen. :(
Also, from Google, I can see that the areas where the MHs were is now a tourist resort.
Dakhla is certainly worth visiting. The weather can be very hot (it’s virtually on the Tropic of cancer) and can also be windy - the French Olympic Windsurfing team were practicing off the beach on which we were wild camping. It made entertaining viewing and some great photos. Unfortunately the wind got TOO strong and turned into a hell of a sandstorm so we upped sticks and left.
While we were there the King was visiting, the streets were lined with flags And the locals were really celebrating.
i will have a dig for some photos

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Dakhla is certainly worth visiting.
I liked it. We had some interesting meals! A lot of the group spent time getting final mods done to their cars to make them more suitable for the desert section. Some paying just a few euros to have the suspension raised a few inches, or a sump guard fitted.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think I ought to revise this - latest info appears to suggest the rate has now doubled. No doubt it'll be the ferry companies trying to claw back some of their losses, don't think Carlos would damage his reputation by doing this for himself.
It would be interesting to find out prices from other sources, such as the roadside kiosks on the way to Algeciras.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I'll be honest it scares us a little bit, just not sure at all, even though i've read that loads of travellers love it, i've also read the very opposite from loads of travellers.

I see you've said "it helps to cross together"

May I ask why, I read that as "safety in no's"

I'm very interested tbh in how it goes for all of you and what things you all get up to so will be reading with interest.

Couple of questions, how long does the ferry take and an approx return cost for an 8.8 mtr motorhome

cheers

Al
This pretty much sums up our feelings about going to Morocco so will be watching thread with interest.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, on three separate trips to the dog question. No problems at all in Maroc. Problem now is getting through France and or Spain as we no longer have a recognised PP. We would now have to get an AHC at the vets in Ashford. She’s up to date with her rabies booster.

Finally our dog is knocking on a bit now, but I’m sure she‘ll remember swimming in the Atlantic, from the beach at Taghazout. 😎

Last edited:

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks. Ours came with a Hungarian PP. We’re hoping to get his rabies jab done by an EU vet before March 23, so that it remains valid.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
D1EE6E7D-52A7-4E56-973E-6FC27AC6F03A.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun