Morelo Webasto Thermo Top C - Auxiliary Heater (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
I have had this little flashing LCD display on the Webasto heater panel in front of me for ages so committed to investigating what it was. It turns out, all I had to do was to set the clock! :LOL:

However, I also thought to fire it up (had no need to before now) so pressed the start button (shown as a flame icon). Fans started up and I waited. I could feel cold air coming out of the dash air vents so knew something was going on. I waited, and I waited but no hot air.

After a couple of minutes, I thought, I wonder if I need to turn the ignition on as well, so I did. Nothing changed. I thought, maybe I also need to turn MH heater on too, so I did that too. Now new noises started up and pretty soon, warm air was pumping out.

Feeling a bit silly, I thought I hadn't seen much in the Morelo manual about this Webasto heater so got the manual out again. There is almost nothing in the manual except this strange ramble about the heater and a valve you have to move if you have one and not move if you don't (or something strange like that).

I have attached the manual (pdf) the section is 5-13 - it states:

5.13.2 Engine heat exchanger with Webasto auxiliary heating

The engine heat exchanger is situated between the cooling circuit of the vehicle engine and the heating circuit of the Alde heating. The cold water for the Alde heating is guided past the cooling circuit of the vehicle engine without being exchanged by the plate heat exchanger and heated. Using the red stopcock (1) it is possible to set the “without engine heat exchanger” or “with engine heat exchanger” positions.

Fig. 5.14 With Webasto: Stopcock transverse to the direction of travel = “with EHE” (engine heat exchanger).

The above figure shows the stopcock transverse to the direction of travel which corresponds to the “with engine heat exchanger” position.

In addition, this position “warm engine heat exchanger” is also displayed with the two red cable ties above which the stopcock is situated.

I am so confused by now but there's more. Beside the Webasto dash display/controller, there is a little black switch marked with two positions. One shows a motorhome and the other an engine - there is no mention of this switch in the manual.

I switched it trying both positions when the heater was running but couldn't detect any difference.

Any ideas anyone?

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
OurMoreloLife

Hi, did you ever get everything working okay? Our 'new to us' Hymer has the same Webasto Thermo Top C unit - it fires up okay and I can feel several warm/hot pipes heading towards the cabin...but no hot air blowing into the cabin. Any help would be great. Thanks Martin

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You need to set the temp dial on the dash with ignition on.
Shit system. The dash air vents run off the engine battery so you can only run for a couple of hours so as not to flatten it.
Have tried 2 merc truck places said cant connect up to leisure batteries
Also if you are camped up for a couple of weeks and using it connected up to ehu, the fuel guage does not register the fuel usage. That only corrects itself when you refill fuel tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Did you ever get this resolved? I have never really used it. I was playing about with our new van yesterday and started it up, I could hear the heater fire up but nothing from the vents. I was about to start the engine to get the fan running when my phone rang. Whilst on the phone to my surprise the heater fan started on its own with the ignition switched off, so appears if you wait long enough it is fully automated. I asked Heinz at Morelo about the valve and he explains its use exactly as you describe to use the heat source to heat the Alde glycol if you don’t have enough gas. The Alde heating therefore has 4 heat sources, Engine coolant, gas, electric and diesel via the heater.
Hope this helps as it surprised me. We never used the heater on the previous Morelo, so everyday is a school day and being honest the heater really heats the van quickly whilst waiting for Alde to heat up.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
It turned out the auxiliary heater was working perfectly but the heating / aircon fan motor for the base vehicle air conditioning was knackered so it was not blowing any air through the vehicle vents. I changed the fan motor having watch a few videos on YouTube. The replacement part was £25 from Amazon. So it’s all working okay now.
stewartwebr

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back