Morelo Carbon Fibre Look - Vinyl Cleaning (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi follow Morelo's

I am having am having a nightmare keeping my carbon vinyl clean. It seems that whatever I use it just looks rubbish!

Any suggestions would be helpful, please

Happy New Year too

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Peter

I was talking to somebody over New Year and he had exactly the same complaint and like you had found no solution, I made a derogatory comment about it in the factory showroom and was told they had a special cleaner for it and it was not a problem, to be honest that is one thing that puts me off Morelo but I guess if that was the only issue they could be persuaded to offer an alternative;)

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
OK big issue with me, my mate has an Adria with the very same "Fablon" and he gave up keeping it clean. My survey of the 3 Morelo owners on here resulted in a unanimous vote of "would not have it again". It is a circa E1500 option and after asking to see one without when we were at the factory in September I confirmed my cancellation of it.
What to do for you guys that have it?
My mate peeled it off his Adria and we all agreed it looked fantastic.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
OK big issue with me, my mate has an Adria with the very same "Fablon" and he gave up keeping it clean. My survey of the 3 Morelo owners on here resulted in a unanimous vote of "would not have it again". It is a circa E1500 option and after asking to see one without when we were at the factory in September I confirmed my cancellation of it.
What to do for you guys that have it?
My mate peeled it off his Adria and we all agreed it looked fantastic.
Hi Michael,

So your Morelo is on then? I think the last comment I saw from you, you said you may not proceed. Did you go for the Daily or the Euro Cargo in the end?

Now, about peeling this stuff off. I would (after the end of the warranty) but I wonder if you might have a photo of what it looks like without it applied?

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Peter

I was talking to somebody over New Year and he had exactly the same complaint and like you had found no solution, I made a derogatory comment about it in the factory showroom and was told they had a special cleaner for it and it was not a problem, to be honest that is one thing that puts me off Morelo but I guess if that was the only issue they could be persuaded to offer an alternative;)

Martin
Nice photo there Martin!

I don't suppose you know the name of their "special cleaner" do you?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael,

So your Morelo is on then? I think the last comment I saw from you, you said you may not proceed. Did you go for the Daily or the Euro Cargo in the end?

Now, about peeling this stuff off. I would (after the end of the warranty) but I wonder if you might have a photo of what it looks like without it applied?
Hi Peter,

Yes still committed and on the final stretch now that 2019 has finally arrived! The original issue was with the Buttner inverter charger which I threatened cancellation over however I resolved it in my mind by replacing it after delivery with either a Victron Multiplus 3kw or Quatro 5kw unit, finally Morelo relented and agreed not to cancel the whole warranty if I did that. Morelo have the only option of a MH at close to 9 metres with a slide, unless I want to spend in excess of E500k on a Vario @funflair ! However my direct contact with Buttner and other internet traffic has suggested that Buttner have a V2 of their box in gestation and I hope that it will include the features I want, namely 2 AC outs one switched and both supported by power assist and a remote panel with variable amp settings for the EHU input, and that it will be available for my March build slot. Looking on the Linertreff site I am not alone with this concern. I have emailed Buttner again and hope for a response next week when the factory comes back. Also I am at the Stuttgart show week after next and will go to their stand and Morelo's too of course. I have the Victron option outlined and an installer to do the job as my backstop, although I could do it myself as its pretty simple having got Morelo to wire the whole van as I want it.

I was never going for a 7.49 ton Daily or a Eurocargo in any of its guises either, I am having it on the 11.99 ton Mercedes Benz Atego Truck chassis which I am really looking forward to driving. With 299hp and only 9.19mt long, full air suspension and air brakes plus retarder it will be a pocket rocket ship! It is designated the 88LB SLO (SLO is added with a slide out) and which ends up 200mm longer than the bog standard 88LB. The floor plan is not shown on any public documentation nor can it even be provided by Morelo at this time!

I am sorry I do not have a photo of a nude Morelo, I was trying to get one for months and it was only when I was at the factory in September that they showed us a live one on the production line without the sticky back plastic, its not an uncommon selection apparently. We did it for 2 reasons, the primary being that which you have highlighted, but secondary was the excessive black on the side walls; because we spend most of our time in warmer climes we felt that the black would not be helping matters temperature wise.
I dont think its removal, unless it reveals a hidden defect, would invalidate your warranty, however removing it would cause severe tightening of the sphincter I would suspect, well it would with me!:censored:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just thinking Peter, do you know someone who has Photoshop skills? If so give them a picture of your van and ask them to airbrush out the black should be possible even in Windows 3dPaint, I buggered around with the Morelo logo and achieved my new avatar.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Just thinking Peter, do you know someone who has Photoshop skills? If so give them a picture of your van and ask them to airbrush out the black should be possible even in Windows 3dPaint, I buggered around with the Morelo logo and achieved my new avatar.

Are you getting a nice discount for advertising Morelo then? :cautious:

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Good idea, thanks. I might have a bash at that myself

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Spending all that money must make you morelo owners right misery’s ....:LOL:

Not at all! Far, far from it actually. Stepping inside such a luxurious motorhome is simply amazing; it makes me very happy each and every time I do so. I would hope everyone can feel the same about their motorhome regardless of how much they paid for it.

I remain really delighted with my Morelo Palace overall, but you can always improve; even already wonderful things.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I am having am having a nightmare keeping my carbon vinyl clean. It seems that whatever I use it just looks rubbish!

Hi Peter,

Carbon vinyl wrap (or any style wrap come to think of it) can be a bit of a nightmare to maintain correctly.

Meguire's do a Gold Class Shampoo which will be safe for your Morelo and should remove the thin film of dirt and polish which is potentially causing the vinyl to look a bit shabby.

If you don't get any results with the above product then phone Christian on 07876 166 077 (or email him on christian@invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk). Christian is a professional detailer for show cars and super cars etc and lives in Ripley, Surrey, so not too far away from you.

Good luck,

Andrew

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice photo there Martin!

I don't suppose you know the name of their "special cleaner" do you?
We are hoping to drive out to Stuttgart show so will try to ask the question at Morelo if we use and abuse their Stellplatz on the way.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
So tell me, how is that helpful?
It points out to any potential owners that not everything is to the quality you would expect even on a Morelo.

We viewed them at the NEC and expected more attention to detail, for instance the fridge grills were white on a cream van! For that kind of money I expected better. Having had a Frankia previously I expected the builders of the Morelo to do better.

Im not saying they are poor but I expected perfection for the price they are.

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Peter,

Carbon vinyl wrap (or any style wrap come to think of it) can be a bit of a nightmare to maintain correctly.

Meguire's do a Gold Class Shampoo which will be safe for your Morelo and should remove the thin film of dirt and polish which is potentially causing the vinyl to look a bit shabby.

If you don't get any results with the above product then phone Christian on 07876 166 077 (or email him on christian@invisibletouchdetailing.co.uk). Christian is a professional detailer for show cars and super cars etc and lives in Ripley, Surrey, so not too far away from you.

Good luck,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply; I'm grateful and will make contact with Christian as you suggest.

Thanks again

Peter

OP
OP
OurMoreloLife
Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
It points out to any potential owners that not everything is to the quality you would expect even on a Morelo.

We viewed them at the NEC and expected more attention to detail, for instance the fridge grills were white on a cream van! For that kind of money I expected better. Having had a Frankia previously I expected the builders of the Morelo to do better.

I'm not saying they are poor but I expected perfection for the price they are.

You know, I agree with all of that.

For that money, I never realised beforehand that they don't have safety airbags and very few active safety features (like auto-cruise control). With only one door to get out, you'd think they would install an emergency roof escape maybe (if it rolled onto the door side how would we get out quickly).

I've asked them for a wiring diagram and they told me. Guess what? We don't give our secrets away! How crazy is that? There must be a damned EU regulation that states why they should give me a wiring diagram when I buy a vehicle surely?

Our Morelo has a rattle on the driver (left) side wing mirror - that huge chunk of wing mirror rattling away at a certain speed drives me nuts (the wind is causing it for sure) and you simply don't expect that. I would do something about fixing it if the nearest dealer wasn't 3.5 hours away or otherwise, in Germany! I would have a mobile technician come to fix it if that were an option.

You don't have to look very far to find a fault with them and I agree they are expensive but then all desirable things are I suppose. I totally get the white fridge vent comment and I actually looked at mine only yesterday wondering what could be done with it as I hate the fact it doesn't match the bodywork; how damned lazy of Morelo eh?

But, to put things into perspective, a couple of years ago I had a Range Rover Vogue HSE TDV8 and that, you would expect to be perfect (as they have had over 40 years to perfect it) but it was a total dog, my brother used to joke how, after I got it back from the dealer, that they were very kind to lend it to me for the weekend before it broke down again.

It was in the dealers 12 times in 2 years for a whole range of issues. One time, a simple washer hose T piece on the rear washer came adrift and allowed the washer water pump to spray water all over the underside of the roof lining which it then watermarked (stained) and ran down into the electronics in the rea near-side boot compartment. The first I knew of this was A) there was no water from the rear washer jet on the back window and 2) the TV stopped working (the receiver was located there I think).

The whole interior of the car had to be removed, a new headlining was fitted and a fortune was spent on the electronics and wiring; all under warranty of course. Whilst re-inserting the seats they just happened to trap the wiring harness and shorted some wires (CAM-BUS I think) under the driver's seat frame fixing to the body (grounded it). As a result, the electric windows and seats didn't work anymore so again, they all had to come out. Terrible really. They fixed it in the end and I sold it straight away. At £80k you wouldn't expect that would you and they've made many, many tens of thousands of them.

I have even seen many Ferraris broken down on the hard shoulder so nothing is totally perfect.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You know, I agree with all of that.

For that money, I never realised beforehand that they don't have safety airbags and very few active safety features (like auto-cruise control). With only one door to get out, you'd think they would install an emergency roof escape maybe (if it rolled onto the door side how would we get out quickly).

I've asked them for a wiring diagram and they told me. Guess what? We don't give our secrets away! How crazy is that? There must be a damned EU regulation that states why they should give me a wiring diagram when I buy a vehicle surely?

Our Morelo has a rattle on the driver (left) side wing mirror - that huge chunk of wing mirror rattling away at a certain speed drives me nuts (the wind is causing it for sure) and you simply don't expect that. I would do something about fixing it if the nearest dealer wasn't 3.5 hours away or otherwise, in Germany! I would have a mobile technician come to fix it if that were an option.

You don't have to look very far to find a fault with them and I agree they are expensive but then all desirable things are I suppose. I totally get the white fridge vent comment and I actually looked at mine only yesterday wondering what could be done with it as I hate the fact it doesn't match the bodywork; how damned lazy of Morelo eh?

But, to put things into perspective, a couple of years ago I had a Range Rover Vogue HSE TDV8 and that, you would expect to be perfect (as they have had over 40 years to perfect it) but it was a total dog, my brother used to joke how, after I got it back from the dealer, that they were very kind to lend it to me for the weekend before it broke down again.

It was in the dealers 12 times in 2 years for a whole range of issues. One time, a simple washer hose T piece on the rear washer came adrift and allowed the washer water pump to spray water all over the underside of the roof lining which it then watermarked (stained) and ran down into the electronics in the rea near-side boot compartment. The first I knew of this was A) there was no water from the rear washer jet on the back window and 2) the TV stopped working (the receiver was located there I think).

The whole interior of the car had to be removed, a new headlining was fitted and a fortune was spent on the electronics and wiring; all under warranty of course. Whilst re-inserting the seats they just happened to trap the wiring harness and shorted some wires (CAM-BUS I think) under the driver's seat frame fixing to the body (grounded it). As a result, the electric windows and seats didn't work anymore so again, they all had to come out. Terrible really. They fixed it in the end and I sold it straight away. At £80k you wouldn't expect that would you and they've made many, many tens of thousands of them.

I have even seen many Ferraris broken down on the hard shoulder so nothing is totally perfect.

Oh NO Peter I hate rattles, just booking a ferry to go to Stuttgart show, should I cancel?

Martin

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply; I'm grateful and will make contact with Christian as you suggest.

Thanks again

Peter

You're very welcome sir. In all honesty I think your wrap is suffering from a simple case of contamination from travelling.

I'm really not certain if the Meguire's will resolve the issue (it may go some way though), so IMO a clay block application will most likely return the vinyl to an as-new condition.

It will first need to be cleaned with a spray foam and prepared correctly with a mild detergent but once the clay bar is applied then in theory it should return the wrap to its original condition as long as the wrap is only a couple of years old; thereafter, there will almost certainly be an element of mild deteriation of the surface because of the nature of the material.

I'm not sure if you've used a clay system before but if you use it on a surface which is ill prepared then you'll scratch the heck out of the surface so a guy like Christian is probably a good man to know.

All the best Peter,

Andrew

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You're very welcome sir. In all honesty I think your wrap is suffering from a simple case of contamination from travelling.

I'm really not certain if the Meguire's will resolve the issue (it may go some way though), so IMO a clay block application will most likely return the vinyl to an as-new condition.

It will first need to be cleaned with a spray foam and prepared correctly with a mild detergent but once the clay bar is applied then in theory it should return the wrap to its original condition as long as the wrap is only a couple of years old; thereafter, there will almost certainly be an element of mild deteriation of the surface because of the nature of the material.

I'm not sure if you've used a clay system before but if you use it on a surface which is ill prepared then you'll scratch the heck out of the surface so a guy like Christian is probably a good man to know.

All the best Peter,

Andrew
Hi Andrew

I think the problem with the "carbon vinyl" is that it is textured, will a clay bar get into that type of surface.

Martin

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Andrew

I think the problem with the "carbon vinyl" is that it is textured, will a clay bar get into that type of surface.

Martin

Hi Martin,

My apologies as I didn't realise that it was textured. I was assuming that it was a flat application but with a multi-layered sandwich to help create the carbon effect.

A clay bar system would not work in that case as you can't massage the block into the indents; I.e. it has to be applied in a single motion to drag off the contamination.

I only use real carbon and smooth wrap decals for my cars so I've never had to deal with this type of challenge - all is not lost though.

If Peter doesn't receive an answer from Christian then I'll ask the rest of the car tuning world to see if they can help.

Very best,

Andrew

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Peter, just spoke with my mate and he said judicious use of a hair dryer and 2 people one playing the dryer the other pulling with 2 hands and it can be removed with ease. There will be a dirt outline to clean off and then a good polish followed by a wax. In his opinion the vynil is poor quality. If you didn't like the "new" look he said go to a graphics company and get it remade and fitted in a decent quality material.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back