Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
After two years visiting portland Newground Carparks, where we were legally allowed to park up over night, The Council have now banned all campers, closed off two of the four carparks and erected signs threatening big fines, clamping and towing away any vehicle breaking these new rules, on top of that they have blocked off many of the viewing points with huge boulders.... Someone in the Council must really hate people camping.
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Local residents and campsite staff get to vote for local councillors. Visiting motorhomers don’t. Local councillors listen to the people who get them re-elected. The 2 big clubs claim to represent the wider camping community but don’t, they still get listened to and are anti wild camping.

Basically we don’t have a big voice in the parking debate. Local communities do and however unfairly we get the blame for litter and poo, whether or not we left it. The economic advantages we bring are talked down by campsites who say they are losing revenue. Sadly a very few of us also score home goals by being inconsiderate and that then gets exaggerated into public demands for action.

Basically we are losing the argument because our side isn’t being heard.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Oh good, the old "big clubs hate wild camping" trope - where is the evidence? Could it be that the argument is being lost because of the wilful disregard of local councils' parking rules and the fact that there are too many free-loaders for too little resource? Why should local residents pick up the bill for incomers lack of respect?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
After two years visiting portland Newground Carparks, where we were legally allowed to park up over night, The Council have now banned all campers, closed off two of the four carparks and erected signs threatening big fines, clamping and towing away any vehicle breaking these new rules, on top of that they have blocked off many of the viewing points with huge boulders.... Someone in the Council must really hate people camping.
:(
So they are going to react, when the travellers turn up, by fining/clamping and towing away their vehicles. Sure they will 😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not just wild camping both the clubs are totally against Aires. When there are any proposals for Aires the government /councils consult the clubs and they always say there is no need for them as there are plenty of camp sites.
What a load of tosh they just want to line their business pockets. In most cases camp sites aren't suitable for Motorhomes as they are too remote & who wants to pay for facilities they don't need.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Local residents and campsite staff get to vote for local councillors. Visiting motorhomers don’t. Local councillors listen to the people who get them re-elected. The 2 big clubs claim to represent the wider camping community but don’t, they still get listened to and are anti wild camping.

Basically we don’t have a big voice in the parking debate. Local communities do and however unfairly we get the blame for litter and poo, whether or not we left it. The economic advantages we bring are talked down by campsites who say they are losing revenue. Sadly a very few of us also score home goals by being inconsiderate and that then gets exaggerated into public demands for action.

Basically we are losing the argument because our side isn’t being heard.

I agree.

We need Clubs that are willing to take Local Councils to Court for imposing restrictions that discriminate against motorhomers. French Camping-Car Associations do this on a regular basis and get such restrictions declared unlawful, and removed.

There's a lot of prejudice, not helped by the actions of a selfish minority. I also agree that MHers will be scapegoated unfairly for litter and mess created by visitors in cars. I wince when less than 2 weeks after the Council has finished its 6 monthly litter removal from road verges they are already looking like a fly tip.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Local communities do and however unfairly we get the blame for litter and poo, whether or not we left it. The economic advantages we bring are talked down by campsites who say they are losing revenue. Sadly a very few of us also score home goals by being inconsiderate and that then gets exaggerated into public demands for action.
Unfortunately the very few are quite numerous. I saw the anti-motorhome/camper feeling build in my Dad's seaside area over a period of several years because of persistent abuse of the local restrictions by lots of motorhomes. Despite there being permitted spaces within 1/4 mile from the sea front car parks, including some with sea views, people insisted on staying overnight on the car parks in contravention of clear signs saying this wasn't allowed. Quite a few of them didn't do it discretely either, but put out chairs, BBQs, kid's toys etc, which were often left outside their vans overnight. I've seen this myself, it's not hearsay. Local people who use the car parks regularly, not just those overlooking them, got increasingly fed up over the years. I've got to say that I was always cheered when I saw that they'd got tickets in the morning, but it never seemed to deter them.
The result? The main seafront car parks now have height barriers. They also no longer allow 'any vehicle adapted for camping/sleeping' to park AT ANY TIME, which means those just visiting for the day can't access them, which they could before. AND, the oft used and out of the way nice wide quiet lay-by/camping spot now has 'no overnight stops' signs in.
Most of us live by the 'leave no sign' mantra, but sadly many others don't. You need only even stay on a site for a day or two to see how some can't follow basic requests because 'they clearly don't apply to them'...

stuartforrest

Free Member
Aug 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Its bloody stupid. I get the argument if people leave mess but thats the same when you go to a beauty spot in your car etc. Messy people are messy people. Council make rules for rules sake. Thats whats wrong with this country. We should in the main let people be. I know some locals moan about them parking as I have heard them but not entirely sure why, could it be jealousy that they dont have a lovely motorhome.

Two factual reasons why we should let motorhomes stay:
1. I live in Morecambe and you can currently park on the sea front overnight and plenty of motorhomers do and I was in a local bike shop (which is actually on Morecambe sea front the other day and one visitor was having their bike fixed. Business for local business and Morecambe needs all the business it can get!!!

2. We have always visited Weston Super Mare for a night on our way down to Cornwall but apparently they have now banned motorhome parking so that's a loss to Weston Super Mare and we always spent a couple of hundred quid on meals etc. This family wont be staying there unfortunately and we loved a night there.

How bloody stupid these rules are.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Had to look that up……and now I’ve learnt something new today. (y)
Me too but then I had to look up part of the explanation and then the explanation of the explanation. Abductive heuristics, even my spell checker doesn’t recognise abductive. This lead me to Bayesian statistics. Now my brain hurts and I may have to lie down in a darkened room for a while.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Its bloody stupid. I get the argument if people leave mess but thats the same when you go to a beauty spot in your car etc. Messy people are messy people. Council make rules for rules sake. Thats whats wrong with this country. We should in the main let people be. I know some locals moan about them parking as I have heard them but not entirely sure why, could it be jealousy that they dont have a lovely motorhome.

Two factual reasons why we should let motorhomes stay:
1. I live in Morecambe and you can currently park on the sea front overnight and plenty of motorhomers do and I was in a local bike shop (which is actually on Morecambe sea front the other day and one visitor was having their bike fixed. Business for local business and Morecambe needs all the business it can get!!!

2. We have always visited Weston Super Mare for a night on our way down to Cornwall but apparently they have now banned motorhome parking so that's a loss to Weston Super Mare and we always spent a couple of hundred quid on meals etc. This family wont be staying there unfortunately and we loved a night there.

How bloody stupid these rules are.

Unfortunately Weston suffers a lot from groups of Motorhome’s and Caravans parking up in the seafront carparks, on the beach lawns and sports centres, as well as the large Locking Road Carpark where there can be a group of up to 20+ vehicles.

Height barriers were introduced to stop them entering the carparks and sports centre. The Council are currently erecting bollards along the whole of the beach lawns to stop overnighting (and longer) there.

I’m afraid the council are unable to pick and choose who are the responsible ones, and who are not. 🤷‍♂️

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Not just wild camping both the clubs are totally against Aires. When there are any proposals for Aires the government /councils consult the clubs and they always say there is no need for them as there are plenty of camp sites.
What a load of tosh they just want to line their business pockets. In most cases camp sites aren't suitable for Motorhomes as they are too remote & who wants to pay for facilities they don't need.
So maybe the the big clubs are against free parking and aires. You can certainly imagine they are but I have yet to see any concrete evidence of it.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just reading through some of the posts on this thread and for what it's worth:
1. I for one would not want my subscription money to either of the big clubs to be used in pointless legal action against cash strapped local councils. I want it to be used so that I have a reliable network of accessible campsites.
2. Rules are irritating aren't they - until you see someone else breaking them in a way that p*sses you off then all of a sudden "they are the rules" and people should follow them. Plenty of posts on this forum complaining about someone else breaking the rules somehow and I wonder if I lost the will to live and started researching them I would find people complaining about "too many rules" in one breath and then complaining that "rules are stupid" in the next.
3. Local authorities are just that - local. Does anyone really believe that local businesses would do anything to discourage people tfrom coming to their towns unless the downside (and cost) of having them there outweighed any notional gain in income?

Anyway, enough of that, I've got a washing machine to fix

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
So maybe the the big clubs are against free parking and aires. You can certainly imagine they are but I have yet to see any concrete evidence of it.
You could also imagine that they are aware of these issues but action speaks louder than words and they have not reacted to the growth of Motorhome ownership and usage other than accepting there are more of them and in the case of the Caravan Club adding Motorhome to its Monica.
They don’t provide for Motorhomes it’s Caravan orientated.

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years
Pardon me for being thick 😵‍💫 but I read the article and couldn’t see where Motorhomes were ‘banned’.
The council seem to introducing parking change, hourly and overnight with the overnight charge at £10.
They say they will use the money raised to Employ an attendant and will have a sluice next to toilets for Motorhomes……

"New Ground has one of the most fantastic views in the area. We don't want to put people off but with more people overnight camping, a lot of them don't seem to be sure about the rules, so I think this is a good idea.

"We have taken on a parking company and a ticket man will be on site to gently remind people what the rules are and help clarify the situation, and make sure bays are kept clear and that there's space for the ice cream van to park.

"We don't expect it to be a big money maker, but if we do make money it means it can go back into other services.

"We are also putting in a sluice for emptying camper van waste at Yeats, round the corner, which will help with some of the issues with mess."

That seems perfectly ok to me.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Stayed there loads of times never seen any mess,I got friendly with the guy who collects the money up there nice bloke,all I've seen is the local piss heads up there sleeping in cars

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Oh and weymouth council waste so many opportunities to earn a few quid,they should be shot

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
since 2006
We were in Weymouth last week and took the bus up there and as the busses were every 15 mins got off at a couple of stops (we were at Haven littlesea) did see the signs which said max 72 hrs and no sleeping in vans , there were a few vans parked up on Yeates rd just up the road from the toilets that looked like they had been there a while but none in the car parks. Not the sort of place i would stay but the views were excellent .
DSCF3061.JPG

Jan 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Not the sort of place i would stay but the views were excellent .
We've thought the same when visiting and looking around at parking options, especially at £10 a night and you can't sleep there.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh good, the old "big clubs hate wild camping" trope - where is the evidence? Could it be that the argument is being lost because of the wilful disregard of local councils' parking rules and the fact that there are too many free-loaders for too little resource? Why should local residents pick up the bill for incomers lack of respect?

We should be cross at those that abuse the system. Free loaders dumping waste and leaving a mess do us no favours.
The only evidence I can give is my receipt for a litter picking device and rubbish bags...... Plus a really peed off me who, after clearing any site I 'free load' or 'pay car park' on, have to do it all again the following morning because all the LOCALS who turn up at night for a snog, eat their chips, drink their take away coffees, after a night out.. just throw their rubbish, inc condom wrappers, out the window.. .. completely ignoring the waste bins 10 feet away!!!!

GRrrrr...

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The sad thing is that everywhere the public go on mass, there is always a litter problem, whether litter bins are provided or not, too many do not even consider or care what they are doing is a public nuisance/eyesore, or detrimental to the local venue or environment. Many would say...."The council workers will clear my mess up, that's what they are paid for, I'm keeping them in work":mad: And then they complain about Car Par Charging!:rolleyes:

Anyone remember seeing pictures of the aftermath that was left behind in a field at the last Green Peace Rally? Shocking Sight, I will always hold that memory against them.
These will probably be the same ones causing nuisance at protests against using Fossil Fuels, and Lack of funding for Insulation, chaining themselves up, Lying on the road to block it, or Gluing themselves to anything they can. I wont even mention Criminal Damage.
Sadly, Its become "Cool" to count to 3, open all the car windows simultaneously, and Jettison all the take away rubbish out the car onto the ground. I have witnessed this, and been given the finger when I approached them about it.
I have even witnessed 1 woman & 3 uniformed Army Officers Grunts do it at The Aldershot Burger King car Park in full daylight.
I cant think of any way of stopping this behaviour, other than on the spot fines, or making the offenders litter pick every day for a week,(y) but how we pay for policing that is beyond me.
As far as littering everywhere is concerned, I feel unless the laws are enforced we are on a loser, whether we are in our MH's or just pedestrians passing through.

Height Barriers to keep MH's out are not the answer, there will still be litter all over the car park by car users. Thoughtfulness & Consideration to the local environment however IS, by not littering, or putting chairs out making it too obvious that you are camping/picnicking in a public place, even if only staying during the day & not overnight.
Don't outstay any welcome 24 hours was/is widely accepted where allowed.

Leave No Trace...Yes, but also if possible arrive late, leave early would be my additional mantra in many popular places. Just use your loaf, stay in "Stealth Mode" with luck you wont be tagged as a nuisance.;)

Rant over, but I feel I have wasted my breath at times as it all falls on deaf ears where the public are concerned, who need to policed or made to be sensible these days.
LES

exvanner

Free Member
Oct 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking
Being a ex motorhomes and now living in the snowdonia area I’ve seen both sides, it’s alright being up in arms saying it’s not motorhomes, yes it is it’s the ones that don’t care and think they can park wherever they want, the one place mr me there is a bin but only for public litter not to be stuffed with plastic bags full of a weeks waste and there are the ones that abuse free parking staying all week, fairbourne council stopped overnight camping at the estuary because campers/ motorhomes overnighting were using railway tunnel as a place for dumping toilet waste yes they were spotted doing it has now no camping. Once Gwynedd council opens there aires then the no overnight camping signs with threat of fines will go up where ever people freeload

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back