More bad press for MH's (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
I saw the original post on FB and checked a moment ago to find its still there with five photographs, two of which clearly show his personalised number plate and two show the driver hiding his face under his t shirt. I have no idea why the newspaper article didn't use more.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi folks. Much of this is a “Mindset” thing. We would never think about dumping black waste in the hedge but many would not turn a hair at “popping behind the bushes” when out for the day. We shun dumpling grey water but think nothing of washing a car in the street.
I notice that many service stations in Italy have Motorhome service points in them. It would not take much to include them in UK services.
The mindset of many councils is “Motorhomes are dreadful as they might be travellers” rather than, “we could get a bit of much needed cash from these mobile bank accounts”.
Of course there are always a few who will do the wrong thing but there are far more trying to get it right.

As we travel around we frequently plan “Service stops” either by stopping at a service point or overnight at a site. One has to factor in these stops as part of your holiday budget.

Just a few thoughts - now back to taking a snooze after lunch.

May 8, 2016
Comrie
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I live in Scotland and tour a lot (except July and August!) and have done for many years now but even I am noticing a big problem at several places in Scotland. Yes I agree many of the offenders are the renters and the day vans but there is just so much lack of consideration for the local population and not only because of litter and waste. You see the videos of people saying how great it is to go in a convoy with mates round the NC500 when the course specifically requests that you don’t do this, especially on the single track sections. I saw another video with the guy sharing the wonderful parking spot he had found in the forest - after having tried several gates until he found one which was not locked - and he then proceeds to light his campfire in the middle of this tinder dry forest saying he needed of bothered bringing his own firewood as there were so many branches and tinder lying around. I have even been parked up to stop and take some photos and got back to the van and found a guy sheltering behind it to have a crap! Drove off pretty smartish letting the rest of the world see what he was up to! May have used a couple of expletives too! Various councils and organisations are trying to take steps to address the problems but it all costs money. Also people think they have the right to wild camp in their vans/motorhomes in Scotland and this is not the case wild camping is only legally allowed for tents. The reality is that the few are spoiling it for the many and it is the locals who suffer the most.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We are going to Scotland in June and will use a mixture of stops including Aires with and without drainage facilities. We will make sure to drain and empty at appropriate facilities, as we always do. Sometimes that is grey waste into the hedges, especially on CLs. BUT the point is it is where the site/facility owner wants it to be dumped, not where I feel like. As motorhomers we have a responsibility to show our hobby/life style in good light to others. Those of us who do not want to stay on full blown sites at £40 a night and who enjoy Aires need to show good sense, whatever we may think about the nature of our grey water and the drainage system. We have to be seen to be responsible. I actually think we stand a better chance of persuading the powers that be to develop emptying facilities by being responsible rather than saying, well if facilities existed all these problems wouldn’t happen.
We did the NC500 years ago before it was even a glimmer in anyone’s eye. We actually did it in various parts over several years. What saddens me is the number of people who think they need to do the whole thing, in one go, often in the minimum amount of time. Has life really become such a tick box exercise?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The reason why we are getting sewage in our rivers is because during heavy rain the sewers get too full
Because 'perfectly clean' rainwater is fed into sewers when building regs should require that it's sent directly to rivers and reservoirs and not be contaminated with sewage. It would be costly but the water companies (will) have to spend billions enlarging sewage works anyway.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
The reason why we are getting sewage in our rivers is because during heavy rain the sewers get too full and there are outlets towards the top of the sewer pipes underground to drain into our rivers if there is too UK regulator relaxes effluent rules as water treatment firms begin running out of chemicalsmuch flow. It is true grey water and toilet waste go into the same system but unless there is heavy rainfall it would all end up in the treatment works. That is my understanding anyway. The storm drains normally just put stormwater into our rivers. So really we should not put grey water into storm drains
Not always.....

UK regulator relaxes effluent rules as water treatment firms begin running out of chemicals....

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If they have a dislike to MH's and CV's and continue to persecute, when the tourist money dries up to those small out of the way attractions and shops, the complainers will be happy as they will have something else to complain about, Poverty. All waters go down the drains, even storm rains which has much more effluent and pesticides in its content because of its rural location. Some of society are only happy when they have something to complain about, might be the jealousy of MH owners, or even people that are on holiday?
defecating in lay-bays , dumping sewage and leaving rubbish in beauty spots , roads clogged up with motorhomes causing delays for locals going about their daily lives.. ... they wont miss that ..

tourist money .. too tight to pay for approved dumping facilities or sites.. so dump in the lay-by
local shops survived long before the NC500 was even thought about ..

suggesting they are jealous because they have voiced legitimate complaints ..?

they are certainly not jealous of people who behave like that

I wonder how you would feel if motorhomers set up camp in your street and poured $hit down your road drain..🤔

no amount of money spent in a local shop can ever justify or forgive that kind of behaviour ..

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
The NC500 is a passing fad, in 5 years time there will be another "must do" route that will attract the Instagram brigade. Once a route like this becomes "must do" who really wants to follow them up there (or down) and join in a huge queue to get to a remote.......and beautiful place? Not me that's for sure, I would rather follow a less crowded route and let the morons crowd out the nc500 (until it goes out of vogue)
I can hear it now "the NC500? Nobody does that anymore. It's too crowded!) :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
another scenic route is already being widely advertised and shared on FB groups .. the SW300 ..also has a website and an app.

we reap what others sow
We live on the SWC300, it goes right past the end of our drive. Volume of MHs has grown massively year on since covid. Mostly they're fine, but too many cause issues.
As for MHers claiming to bring money into local economy, that's just pish. They turn up, take a wander round the castle, harbour and park, and move on. Some ignore signs and dump their black waste down the toilets - sometimes jamming the pumps (£1200 a time to unblock), or think the "No overnight camping" signs don't apply to them.
Caravans were banned from the (car)park before we moved here. Now there's more and more calls for MHs to be banned as well. In the interim we've doubled the car park price for MHs, with money being put aside for dealing with the aforementioned jammed toilet pump.
By the time we get to August/September, everyone has had just about enough of tourists (in general) and look forward to the winter months.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Go to the forgotten bit of Scotland.
Dumfries and Galloway.
It is not as dramatic as the Highlands, but very friendly and beautiful 👍👏👏👌
We'll be there in a month 😁
Other than marketing, I have no idea why sheeple flock to the NC500. There's far far better parts of Scotland which are unspoilt, quiet and a better drive.
The best bit about the NC500 is that it keeps the masses away from other parts ;) (y)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Aside from mohos on the NC500, I get fed up of having to clean my dog after it has found some human shit in a hedge that it's taken a fancy to and rolled around in it. This is people getting taken short or whatever and not just up here either.

Moho's are not the only problem we have on the NC500, bloody cyclists loaded up with saddle bags and tents, sports cars and vintage cars in groups who seem to think it's a race track. Those so called celebrities who think it's cool to come and make programmes about the Highlands....as if it's not been done a thousand times !!!

Never mind Moho drivers who come up here from England who have never driven on single track roads before and don't have a clue about the etiquette of them.

There, got that off my chest, I'm off for a ride on my motorcycle while the sun is shining for an hour. Happy motorhoming all !!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
We live on the SWC300, it goes right past the end of our drive. Volume of MHs has grown massively year on since covid. Mostly they're fine, but too many cause issues.
As for MHers claiming to bring money into local economy, that's just pish. They turn up, take a wander round the castle, harbour and park, and move on. Some ignore signs and dump their black waste down the toilets - sometimes jamming the pumps (£1200 a time to unblock), or think the "No overnight camping" signs don't apply to them.
Caravans were banned from the (car)park before we moved here. Now there's more and more calls for MHs to be banned as well. In the interim we've doubled the car park price for MHs, with money being put aside for dealing with the aforementioned jammed toilet pump.
By the time we get to August/September, everyone has had just about enough of tourists (in general) and look forward to the winter months.
I have to ask, how does toilet waste block a toilet pump?

Also why on earth does it cost over a grand to unblock?

Not saying it’s right that they dump the cassettes, it annoys me as well, just asking as it seems a pretty s%&t design. 🫣

Or is this one of those things where toilet cassettes get the blame even when they aren’t the problem, like a lot of litter?

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Looks to me like the locals have a campaign going at the moment against Motorhome owners.
Every other day one of them goes running to the Sun or Daily Record with a tale about some bad Motorhomer.
Im only 2 hours from the start of the NC500 but I have no intentions of going somewhere Im not wanted. I would rather drive the 10 hours down to Dover and head down into Germany which Ill be doing the summer for 8th year running.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Not saying it’s right that they dump the cassettes, it annoys me as well, just asking as it seems a pretty s%&t design. 🫣

Or is this one of those things where toilet cassettes get the blame even when they aren’t the problem, like a lot of litter?
Wet wipes etc etc.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

There's a pump to pump the waste uphill to the treatment plant in the next village. It's not designed to take large volumes of waste in one go, nor the dreaded wet-wipes.
The costs: The park toilets have to close once the pump is blocked, which on a busy sunny day (yes we have them ::bigsmile: ) is a huge issue - hence an emergency call out. And it ain't a quick (or pleasant) jobbie to unblock.
It's very obvious when it's a MHer to blame. Firstly, the chemicals give it away. Then, we check the CCTV - 6 cameras, none of which can be seen from MHers who are too self entitled to believe the signs (asking them not to do it) apply to them. So yes, they are the problem.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
There's a pump to pump the waste uphill to the treatment plant in the next village. It's not designed to take large volumes of waste in one go, nor the dreaded wet-wipes.
The costs: The park toilets have to close once the pump is blocked, which on a busy sunny day (yes we have them ::bigsmile: ) is a huge issue - hence an emergency call out. And it ain't a quick (or pleasant) jobbie to unblock.
It's very obvious when it's a MHer to blame. Firstly, the chemicals give it away. Then, we check the CCTV - 6 cameras, none of which can be seen from MHers who are too self entitled to believe the signs (asking them not to do it) apply to them. So yes, they are the problem.
Not sure hidden cctv cameras in the toilets is the best idea :oops:

Oct 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Fiat Based Hymer
Domestic kitchen and shower water go down same waste drain as toilet water.

That water should not go down run-off drains from roads.
In many areas it all goes to the same drains before it goes too far.

Ours goes about 400 yards before all the drains join up.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
But it's not just the NC500 is it.
If these people are doing it there they are doing it wherever they go.

They'll give us a bad name regardless

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back